MINDBODY Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
MINDBODY Co-Founder & CEO Rick Stollmeyer
Rick Stollmeyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Amazing company culture and work life balance" (in 39 reviews)

• "Health and wellness of their employees is a priority" (in 21 reviews)

Cons
  • "Little to no career development opportunities outside of the HQ office in San Luis Obispo" (in 20 reviews)

• "The company is growing quickly which naturally comes with a lot of change in the way things get done, so you must be ready to adapt quickly" (in 19 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"The Best Company I Have Worked For"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

* Great work/life balance
    * Competitive salary if you have the experience, the skill, and are willing to to put in the effort
    * 20 days PTO, 3 sick days, plus paid holidays
    * $65/month wellness program for use with gyms, salons, etc.
    * Stock options and employee stock purchase program
    * Yearly merit increases and bonus program
    * Affordable, onsite daycare
    * Frequent events for employees
    * Management truly cares for it's employees
    * Great work environment, culture, and co-workers
    * Benefits are not amazing, but better than a lot of tech companies
    * Beautiful area with lots of activities and things to see

Cons

* Processes and infrastructure are not as mature as some other places
    * Results in more reaction to problems and band aids than proactive preventative measures (but things are getting better!)
    * Lots of compartmentalization and internally staking out of turf.
    * Housing in the San Luis Obispo area is expensive and in short supply

Advice to Management

Get rid of, override, or force aside managers who stand in the way of streamlining and improving the product . There are too many applications, too many processes, and too much of multiple processes all trying to accomplish the same thing. Interdependencies make it difficult to troubleshoot and fix problems. There's no automation for software builds, deployments, or testing. These things hold us back.

"Couldn't ask for a better place to work!"

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

Truly the best work environment there is! You couldn't ask for a better culture and environment in a inside sales position. But not only sales, it feels like throughout the company and each department the culture is one of a kind.

A company that actually cares about it's employees and their life outside of the job. From Managers, to Directors, all the way up to Executives and the President, the higher up's truly care to take the time to get to know their employees. Which now a days, seems unheard of.

Freedom, opportunity for career growth, and amazing people and culture!

Cons

Things can sometime changes quickly but that's normal growing pains of a rapidly expanding company

"Horrible leadership for a company of this size"

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

Wellness Card + Casual Dress

Just raised another 200+ million, so can pour money into random projects at least for a couple more years and pay a bunch of mid level managers to travel around the country acting busy

Cons

So many people for every little task. 8 people to write one marketing email. virtually no planning in most everything. Everyone just skips from one thing to the next until basically nothing gets done.

The majority of MINDBODYs clients literally hate this company, which is basically all you need to know. Once profitability becomes even more crucial when all of the venture capital debt matures, things will only get worse!

Advice to Management

hire some leadership that actually has some idea how to run this type of company.

reorganize entire sales org

start caring about the clients

4. "Wonderful place to work"

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

- Work/life balance
    - The Product Development team(s) include some truly remarkable people who are a pleasure to work with
    - Team growth and opportunities
    - Regular opportunities to give and receive feedback to co-workers and management
    - Culture and core values

Cons

It's a large company, and there are regular organizational changes that occasionally cause disruptions

"Laid back work environment, but not without flaws"

Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Former Employee - Software Engineer-II in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at MINDBODY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Coworkers were great
    Flexible hours
    Allowed to work from home fairly regularly

Cons

Measured against quantity over quality
    Recognition often awarded to the wrong people
    Used to make up for lower salary with other benefits, but those benefits have been slowly disappearing since they went public.

6. "Thank you"

Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Scottsdale, AZ
    Current Employee - Technical Support Representative in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I just started it Mindbody and I just wanted to post and say thank you for going above and beyond my expectations when scheduling went wrong. Thank you for taking it a step further and allowing me to visit the corporate office that was an amazing experience. Mindbody has Proven an important point is proven to me that you care about your employees and that we’re not a number that means the world

Cons

I see no cons 😀

"Get the feel of big tech in a small town"

I worked at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

MB can absolutely skyrocket your career if you're looking to jump into the world of tech. The people, location and culture is what kept me around for years.

Cons

Like most big tech companies be prepared for:
    1. A surprising amount of tech debt.
    2. Leadership pivots and role changes.
    3. Engineering first design point-of-view.
    4. Shallow career ladder

"Greatness took the fast lane to mediocrity"

Current Employee - Technical Support Team Leader in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Technical Support Team Leader in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

-20 days vacation off the bat
    -you get to live in SLO... even if it's in poverty
    -chill atmosphere, in theory; beware managers who hate this aspect of it and will hold it against you

Cons

I've been working here for over 5 years, and maintain a "brand" of positiveness to the point that I've been called "Mister Mindbody". Not so much in the past couple of years as one can only be amateur actor for so long, and in the a face of a growing amount of nonsense, before the "WooHoo" sheen wears off. But I aim to provide this review not as catharsis, but as a reality check against some of the more extreme opinions (on both sides) here.

Naturally, as with any job, your results will vary depending on your department, your supervisor, and your abilities... to kiss butt and stay in line. Competence takes you only so far.

My point of view comes from customer service, but also through the lens of employees in major departments in SLO. It boils down to this: you'll be fully indoctrinated in the Values and in WooHoo!. You'll have a longer honeymoon period than any other job you've had, or likely ever will have. Then you'll see it was more of a mirage than a honeymoon.

It wasn't always this way. Upper management valued a "people first" philosophy - "let you be you", the job postings said. "You being happy means our customers are happy". And it worked; customer service calls were overwhelmingly positive. We were happy to come to work. We felt like we made a difference.

That is ALL gone.

The company going public brought a renewed focus on profitability, which makes sense. There was only so much venture capitalist money to take employees on trips to Costa Rica. But the corner office got conned by some existing middle managers, and external management hires, that the road to profitability ran through destroying those values and replace them with standard-issue call center playbooks. Literal ones, I might add. You might think, "well yeah, it's a job, tough luck buttercup", but productivity has been flat as the best and smartest burn out, while the mediocre who half-(posterior) their way through 50% more callers get praised (but rarely actually rewarded). This pseudo-productivity means they call again a few days (or minutes) later, so that our callers-to-clients ratio keeps climbing and climbing. But hey, the raw calls per hour keeps increasing though, so who cares? Bonuses for the VP and upper management!

If you don't happen to find your place in this Golden Circle of management-adored "productive" mediocrity, prepare for trudgery bordering on misery. You'll get 4-5 stars on all your reviews, sure, because you're not actually doing anything wrong; but mysteriously your career is stalled. Hmm. Bogus "promotions" here and there, better pick of hours, and maybe you'll make it to TTL (team lead), but your paycheck remains mediocre and your new responsibility is primarily to impose upon your team the arbitrary, often juvenile decisions of those who "lead" the floor.

But you'll lucky to ever (posterior)-kiss your way into this position. It's more likely you'll keep getting those good reviews, then - because a department head thinks you don't look busy enough, hates your sense of humor or thinks you're ugly - you'll get dragged to HR (or, ahem, "people and culture") and torn to shreds for something you said 6 months ago. All while your TTL wonders what the heck is going on, because - again - your "powers" are illusory, just like your actual internal opportunities for career advancement.

You'll then end up leaving after being nitpicked (ahem, "coached") to heck or be flat-out fired over nonsense, like taking a 5-minutes-too-long lunch a year ago that you weren't even warned (or told) about. You'll be told you can't file for unemployment. You'll file anyway. You'll then face an avalanche of grievances you were actively told by your TTL weren't issues at all. And because the state's unemployment department has your company for a "client" - not you - you'll end up out on your (posterior). I've lost valued colleagues through both these routes, plus another who quit in protest after noticing this pattern.

How does HR allow this to happen, you ask? They get told by a manager that you're no longer on their good graces for some arbitrary reason or another. HR's role isn't to investigate or do what's right, but rather to act as assistants to said manager. Your goose is already cooked. "Aren't you an employee-at-will?", I hear you asking. Sure - but try to remember this fact as you get Woohoo'd into thinking this company values you at all. It systematically does not; it's not a bug, it's a feature.

The cause of this goes all the way to the CEO; not active nefariousness, mind you, but near-complete ineptitude. Just lets whoever kisses his (posterior) the most do whatever they want to those under them. A feature of any mom-and-pop small business for sure, but completely inappropriate for a budding well-being (!) empire which MBO purports itself to be.

As far as what Rick actually does - he maintains a warm, charismatic figure which employees confuse for competence; reverse (posterior)-kissing, as it were. But while he speaks to you in a relatable fashion and makes you feel good about the company, those who take "direction" from him will tell you about his priorities that shift as the wind blows. Drop everything on Project A - we need to get B done right now! Scratch that, Project C is what MBO is all about, never mind B! Wait, what's going on with Project A, we needed it done yesterday! Never mind all that, everybody now focus only on be Project D! And so on.

Which takes me to the product. Ah, the product. This pig has so much lipstick that it's now more lipstick than pig. No, seriously - bugfixes and GUIs and patches on top of one another to an absurd level. Combined with skyrocketing rates, tech support competence and morale both crashing, and sales policies becoming ever so rigid, and you have a noxious perfect storm. Clients now HATE us. As well they should. Our product is ugly, clunky, buggy, outdated and (now) wayyy overpriced. Not even going to go into our simply atrocious mobile app. But we're number 1! Because we're number 1. No really, our clients stick with us because they've become used to it, and anyone they hire is likely also already used to it, and their end-customers are familiar with booking on it. There's a project afoot to give the platform a ground-up refresh, but see "Project B" above. We're probably focused on applying more lipstick somewhere.

So, faithful reader who is interested enough in working at Mindbody (or "MINDBODY®") that you've read all the way to the end of this review, you're probably looking for a conclusion or bottom line. There.... kind of isn't one? You're about to join a ship that's been taking on water for years, but manages to keep enough buckets on board to throw the floodwater out to sea. So come on aboard, I guess? Just try to resist the brainwashing you'll be welcomed with. The sooner you realize it's a mirage and that this job (and company) is subpar in all aspects, the sooner you'll be in the right mindset to thrive in the dead-end of your dreams. But hey, SLO!

Protip: if you're on my team (or end up on it), asking me how you "can best help (me) do (my) job right now". In the long term it won't mean crud, but I'll be sure to express my gratitude by looping you in on what's really going on.

Woohoo!

Advice to Management

I'd tell you to get your heads out of your butts and realize that "looking busy" and "calls per hour" are horsecrap metrics and make for miserable employees AND clients, but you're either nodding your head right now about the need to keep up your Woohoo! to stay in your job, or your head is so far inside that it's repainted the walls and installed new blinds. Just keep doing the same thing you're doing until someone finally buys the company out solely for its established client base, gives Rick his golden parachute, closes the SLO offices and runs an actual professional organization. And that's the happy ending... you don't want to know the other one.

9. "Positive atmosphere and fantastic team"

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

Work with people who care about the world and health
    Leadership will listen to your ideas, not just claim they care
    Advancement opportunities for those who are dedicated to growth

Cons

Very demanding job, infrequently has down time.

Advice to Management

Allow scheduled time for continuing development and training each week.

10. "Senior Onboarding Specialist"

Current Employee - Senior Onboarding Specialist in Atlanta, GA
    Current Employee - Senior Onboarding Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The culture is very welcoming and they believe and cultivate their employees.

Cons

Parking was an issue but they handled it.