MINDBODY Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
MINDBODY Co-Founder & CEO Rick Stollmeyer
Rick Stollmeyer

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Benefits Co-workers Work/Life Balance Career Advancement (in 35 reviews)

• The People - the majority of the people are there to truly live the Core Values (in 43 reviews)

Cons
  • The company is growing quickly which naturally comes with a lot of change in the way things get done, so you must be ready to adapt quickly (in 18 reviews)

• With everything that's happened, I am skeptical of any office that's not located in Scottsdale or San Luis Obispo closing (in 17 reviews)

1. "Excellent culture and core values"

Current Employee - Director of Customer Service in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Director of Customer Service in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

* Caring and happy environment
    * Fast paced, focused on remaining relevant
    * Excellent leadership at all levels
    * Balanced work and personal life - wellness is important and encouraged through onsite services and monthly wellness dollars
    * Serving a great industry (health and wellness)
    * Room for professional and personal development
    * Clear mission and goals - feel a part of the vision
    * Regular employee reviews centered around core values

Cons

* Fast growth forces fast professional growth to stay afloat, which isn't bad, but it can feel stressful at times, but good outweighs the bad and lunchtime yoga and fitness classes are a great way to reduce stress!

Advice to Management

* Continuous communication and vision at all levels is needed especially as the company grows in size. Everyone needs to understand their part in the mission of MINDBODY and I think more leaders needs training on how to communicate top down messages to their staff.

2. "Competence, Character, Compassion and core values"

Current Employee - Customer Service in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Customer Service in San Luis Obispo, CA

Pros

1. Being surrounded by competent caring people and awesome customers.
    2. Excellent facility and computers with fantastic IT support.
    3. Managers who care about your "inner work life" Currently going to a book club with the Director of my department and reading "The Progress Principle" which is awesome.
    4. White Boards to doodle on.
    5. Doing something that matters for a company that cares.
    6. Employee of the month is called "Rockstar of the month"
    7. Giving ideas for the new campus they are planning

Cons

1. We have outgrown our building and there is not enough parking. The solution is taking turns at a parking lot a half mile down the street. The BAV (Bad-ass van) is great for getting you work quickly and easily

That's it. I love it here. I'm proud to be associated with a principled and forward thinking company that cares about customers and employees and values everyone's ideas.

Advice to Management

Well done. This place is a dream come true.

3. "Fantastic Workplace"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at MINDBODY part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Fantastic environment, growing fast and the managers and CEO truly care about the employees.

Cons

Since they are based in a college town (San Luis Obispo) they poach cheap top talent from Cal Poly and their salaries aren't as competitive as Silicon Valley or other areas with higher tech development.

"I feel like pinching myself coming to work here every day. It's truly awesome."

Current Employee - Quality Assurance in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Quality Assurance in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing core values, an inspiring CEO that demonstrates these values nicely, recess (a 10 minute break each day to go do something fun), the best managers I've ever had, monthly planned recess events, company parties on the patio, lots of clubs that happen on site throughout the week, on-site massages that are paid for by the company (if you use your MB bucks), incredibly inspiring coworkers that are very cheerful, lots of technical training in development for QA and Dev, a very comfortable and chic office environment, lots of smart people to work with.

Cons

The process to produce elegant, simple-to-use, and intuitive features is lacking greatly, though we are making improvements. A lot of our features have seen little design time (in large part due to very low design resources at present), so the scrum teams are having to throw together a great deal of feature designs. Throw 10 non-design people in a room and tell them to design something-- the end result is often far more complicated and convoluted than you'd want. Our process is not ideal at present, though I'm looking forward to the recent hiring of a UX Director and ongoing search for UX designers.

Advice to Management

Projects should be researched, designed, and groomed about 5x better than they currently are. IMO, those dealing with functionality decisions- POs and designers in particular-- should be visiting client's business learning every facet of how the software should look and function.

We

5. "Amazing experience for a young professional"

Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Associate in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- very positive and energetic environment
    - startup feel
    - great management, very close CEO
    - realistic goals
    Rick (the CEO) consistently wanders around the office and offers encouragement to the nearly 500 employees. Never a dull moment, always seeing smiling faces, and the company absolutely loves its employees. Hiring within is extremely common. High likelihood for advancement and promotion.

Cons

Honestly none that I can think of

Advice to Management

Keep on keeping on.

6. "Best work enviroment I have ever seen"

I worked at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

MINDBODY management cares about their employees and treats them as humans. A healthy work-life balance is part of the published core values. Just walk into the lobby area and you will feel the energy that 400 happy employees make.

I found the work in the technology departments challenging and rewarding. There are un-sexy aspects to working with some legacy systems but that's the challenge. The reward is in solving tough problems and helping the company continually improve.

Overall: Exceptional work environment, exceptional employees and interesting, challenging work. If you will be doing software or engineering you should be comfortable supporting legacy systems.

Cons

Growing pains are always evident. Requires you to improvise frequently.

7. "Fantastic, fun, accommodating, challenging, and generous."

Current Employee - Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Software Developer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

It is clear that MINDBODY wants you to enjoy your job and actively makes that happen. It's great having a place where there are minimal meetings and my opinion on the development and design of the software is heard which gives me a feeling of ownership for the products I help create. Also I love being challenged with new problems and technologies to expand my learning.

They also have on site massage, restaurant, recreation activities, and different clubs. I feel like I'm a part of the team since we have company parties and get to see other departments and management often.

Most of the development we do is using state of the art frameworks and technologies which is exciting as well.

Cons

Some of the work that is involved is dealing with some classic ASP pages, but most of my time isn't spent on pages containing that.

Advice to Management

Keep encouraging porting the classic ASP pages so that the software is as easy to develop in as everywhere else in the software. I love working here and feel stoked to come into work each day! Thank you for being a part of creating this atmosphere and culture.

8. "Best company to work for, hands down."

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in East Hampton, NY
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in East Hampton, NY

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Amazing environment, great people, incredible product.

Cons

none that I can think of

9. "A great company that cares about its employees"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Sales Specialist in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great benefits, fun work environment, growing company. Room to move around.

Cons

Its a very young workforce, which can sometimes feel unprofessional. They don't seem to pay well in many departments, and that can sometimes be apparent.

Advice to Management

Need to attract high level management with comparable salaries. Marketing in particular seems to be lacking direction.

10. "Most amazing place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company is everything they say they are. It has been the most amazing growth experience personally and professionally and I cant thank MINDBODY enough. The culture is helpful, happy and everyone works together. They treat employees like family.

Cons

There are literally no negatives I can say about this company.

Advice to Management

Thank you! You always listen to every employee and really facilitate growth.