MINDBODY "work life balance" Reviews | Glassdoor

MINDBODY Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Dec 3, 2019

3.6
MINDBODY CEO Rick Stollmeyer
Rick Stollmeyer
Pros
Cons
  • "They preach core values but hardly follow them(in 28 reviews)

• "Lots of growing pains in all departments(in 28 reviews)

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time

Pros

-Company has great alignment with core values -Management leads by example -Set up for success with training resources, both upon starting and throughout employment -Fun office activities -Great work/life balance & flexibility

Cons

-Working in a remote location can feel challenging to connect to HQ at times, but MB takes measures to be inclusive and connect with other office locations

MINDBODY2019-11-05
  2. "Cool place to work"

Former Intern - Project Management Intern in San Luis Obispo, CA

I worked at MINDBODY for less than a year

Pros

The work culture was very inclusive and work life balance was great

Cons

Not very structured internship program

MINDBODY2019-11-08

"You can be a Big Company or a startup - Mindbody wants both and it doesn't work"

Former Employee - Engineer in New York, NY

I worked at MINDBODY full-time for less than a year

Pros

-Flexible work arrangements (depending on your manager) - work from home when you want -Really great people - basically everyone I worked both on my team and with other teams with was a decent human being -I was hourly, as in OT eligible, which is nearly unheard-of and really helped offset late-night work -My bosses were extremely assertive in making sure we had the work-life balance we needed and wanted -Bonus... structure was tied to my team's performance, so it was something we could actually work towards and achieve -We had wide latitude to get the tools we needed to do our jobs, either a better keyboard or a better application/software/etc. -Great commute location (at least if you're from Jersey) -Breakfast, snacks, other stuff stocked and catered Wednesday breakfasts -Lots of communication between all departments - we all know what we're working on and how it all comes together -Not a bad benefits package - reasonable healthcare premiums, 401k match was never screwed with, bonus never got taken away -Workplace and life wellness is taken very seriously - there are useful seminars, wellness teams, etc.

Cons

-Salary was a bit low in the pay band, and was offset by RSUs which got fixed at an acquisition date strike price -HR didn't pay out even a fraction of my RSUs since I left two months before the vesting date - gone, poof, nothing, so -After Vista acquired Mindbody, we all had to take an IQ test, the results of which were averaged out per team and used as a minimum score to meet or beat if you want to be hired (e....g. if you're applying for a role with a team that had a high average score, you don't even get looked at if you don't beat it) -Way too metrics-focused from the top down in terms of IT security - percentage of vulnerable assets (regardless of how critical the vuln is) was treated with call-center style pressure to bring numbers down

Advice to Management

Vista's IQ test requirement is really awful, and it needs to die. The logic of "we've gotten great talent from it, so it works for us" isn't reasonably true - the type of test hasn't withstood scrutiny and holds a great degree of bias. You will lose key talent that may not be the best test-takers, or may not be neurotypical, etc. Stop acting like a big corporation when it comes to benefits and salary. I had... to jump through a bunch of hoops to get a basic ergonomic keyboard and mouse - provide a doctor's note, have someone evaulate my workstation, etc. Meanwhile I was wearing a brace on and off due to the conventional keyboard. My manager eventually just gave me the go-ahead to expense the keyboard. Just a $75 expense, which would have been at least double that in slowed productivity over a few weeks thanks to a brace, plus the cost for HR to do all the stuff they wanted to validate it. It's one thing to justify the cost of a specialized workstation for a specific disability but it's another to stand in the way of a fairly routine PC peripheral. Departing employees don't get an exit interview, they get a Surveymonkey or something like that to fill out. I felt like nobody really wanted to know anything about what drove me to leave so it could be really improved upon. At least if you're having a conversation with a human, you can get usable feedback. As to salary, pay people what they're worth. I don't know what's going to happen with RSUs/stock options/etc. since Mindbody got acquired by Vista and went private, but my new job gave me a roughly 25% salary boost for the same work, with a bonus opportunity that ranged from 15-28% as opposed to the 5.5% flat rate. My salary was a lateral move from my last job, which was a step below my current responsibilities. The OT is nice and helped make up the difference but unless someone gets OT, you're going to need to make up the salary differences. Overall, you can't apply a one-size-fits-all approach that smacks of Big Corporate to a bunch of companies that operate swiftly and dynamically in a very rapidly changing environment. I didn't have problems getting answers from HR, but the answers themselves were pretty lousy and made me feel like in the end, I'm just a number, and that hurts from a company that claims to care about its people.

MINDBODY2019-09-30

"Would not recommend"

Current Employee - Sales Specialist in Scottsdale, AZ

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for less than a year

Pros

Casual Dress code, can wear workout clothes. Inbound leads, if you're lucky and get a good territory. Fairly low-key management and low metric expectations. Good work-life balance. $65 wellness credit each month.

Cons

Low starting salary. Compared to other sales companies in the area, no real office perks. A lot of recent change within the company, management doesn't seem like they know how to handle it. Poor leadership & upper management. Horrible training program as new hire. Management definitely has "favorites."

Advice to Management

I should have known when I first started that it wouldn't really get any better. The new hire training is completely unorganized and elementary. If you have ANY experience in sales, it'll be painfully boring and repetitive for you. There are so many changes happening in the company, management is unable to give you clear expectations and stay true to those expectations. Not really sure if any of the upper management... is qualified to be in their roles because it doesn't seem like they know what they're doing. They want to act like they're a high-level sales company but operate like a brand new start up. I heard it was good for a while for sales reps and they were making good money, but now that ship has sailed. Private equity partner apparently coming in and taking over soon, maybe things will be ran better at that point. Like most quality and established sales organizations, they have a set standard to increase title & salary, not here, if you want a salary increase or a higher title, just wait until your manager or director decides you've been "exceeding goals" for a certain amount of time before they give it to you, completely arbitrary. Also, if you're not a favorite, probably don't expect to get much support or help.

MINDBODY2019-10-01

"Great work/life balance"

Current Employee - Senior Customer Support Spe in Santa Maria, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Team culture, Benefits, work/life balance. You get what you put in here.

Cons

more PTO and team building

MINDBODY2019-09-09

""Best place to work gone berserk?""

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Atlanta, GA

I worked at MINDBODY full-time for more than a year

Pros

Great when you first start there. Very simple software solution Friendly people

Cons

Deceiving Management who don't really care about their employees. No real room for growth. If you close a deal for someone else, they will outright lie to your face and say "you might still have a chance to get it" No real connection between onboarding and sales Upper management will hide things from sales which cause long term confusion Towards the end of my career there, they attempted to impede on my... Work/life balance and attempted to make us work later than possible because the office was evidently not making quota for numerous months in a row.

Advice to Management

Stop lying to your employees and be upfront in the interview about the many issues beforehand. I understand that you're trying to have a ramp up and hire multiple employees. Train the ones that you have first. Be transparent and stop trying to reprimand people because they don't understand the product.

MINDBODY2019-07-14

"Decent place to work"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Great people and good work life balance so far.

Cons

Constantly changing without evaluation. Management is caring less about work life balance as time passes.

Advice to Management

Be more customer focused, have an owner mentality, track and evaluate changes, and think about the long term.

MINDBODY2019-06-02

"Great Company before Vista"

Current Employee - Sales Development Representative

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work life balance Benefits Incentives The experience The benefits again

Cons

Commission structure constantly changes Poor management Its not a good work environment for women Male dominant company

MINDBODY2019-04-22
  9. "Great place to work"

Current Employee - Onboarding Specialist

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for less than a year

Pros

Work-life balance Great Culture Wellness benefits Industry Leader

Cons

Cost of living makes the pay tough

MINDBODY2019-04-16

"You would be hard pressed to find better"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in San Luis Obispo, CA

I have been working at MINDBODY full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Commitment to work/life balance. People genuinely care about doing a quality job. Internal feedback has been making things improve. Well maintained workplace in a beautiful area. Most departments now have reasonable, if not competitive or amazing, compensation. Getting here was a path littered in hard lessons and lost talent.

Cons

The sales management is literally cutthroat. (But I could never do sales.) Some acquired companies don't have their games in order. Some lingering uncertainty regarding the Vista acquisition as they roll out plans.

Advice to Management

In my time at the company, management always eventually finds the right path. I just wish the course to get there happened faster. If you asked every employee in a department what was and wasn't working, or what opportunities there were to make things better, focusing on the novel ideas will be more of a wasted opportunity than just listening to the common themes. Also: I wish there was a way to consistently show... Rick (and the entire executive structure) what this company is doing and how it's being done. Some bad C-levels or VPs have in the past gotten away with filtering and shading things for a long time. Only the execs who take a real hands-on approach to leadership have ever had real success and prevented giant snarls from developing at the weak points of middle management.

MINDBODY2019-03-28