MIT Lincoln Laboratory Reviews | Glassdoor

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Director Eric Evans
Eric Evans

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • At least for System Administrators (and I believe most of the technical staff/researchers) prepare for SOUL-CRUSHING micro-management (in 9 reviews)

• Flat organization means informal delegation of responsibility (in 8 reviews)

"Strong technical environment, weak management"

Current Employee - Member of Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Broad array of technical challenges, exceptional technical staff, programs are well funded, good work/life balance

Cons

Technical skills are under-valued, management seems to be seeking large $$ programs instead of interesting work

Advice to Management

Staff are under-valued. Pay attention and respect them more. No one works there for the money, so the work environment better be very good.

2. "Decent place to work"

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Interesting projects, friendly work environment, good benefits

Cons

Promotion structure (flat hierarchy), pay on average is less than similar industry positions

May 15, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to prepare a review. We are pleased that you are finding it a positive experience with interesting projects. Our flat hierarchy is intended to limit the levels that... More

3. "Great Work Culture"

Current Employee - Associate Staff Scientist in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Associate Staff Scientist in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

The work culture is excellent! It's a very good place to work at. They value quality of life of all employees, and very genuine and fair in all aspects. They also provide a lot of flexibility, wherever feasible.

Cons

It can sometimes feel too big of an organization that one may feel lost in it. It's not necessarily a bad thing, but it may not be constructive for everyone.

Advice to Management

MIT Lincoln Laboratory has spear-headed the ways in how to best manage an organization! Thanks for setting up a great work-culture!

Mar 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We are pleased that you have been having a positive experience. We encourage prospective employees to research the organization to insure that it will be... More

"Great laboratory with horrible management"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work is challenging
    Pays better than other FFRDC's
    Very talented staff

Cons

Management in my group has been horrible in my group (not true in others)

Feb 27, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments and your reflections on the positives at Lincoln Laboratory.. I hope that you are talking to internal contacts about your issues with your group management., As you... More

"Fascinating place, but prepare to be MICRO-MANAGED to death!"

Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Administrator in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work/life balance is very good.
    Benefits are awesome
    Most people you work with and around are brilliant, doing important work, are reasonably easy to talk to (more often than not)

Cons

At least for System Administrators (and I believe most of the technical staff/researchers) prepare for SOUL-CRUSHING micro-management!!!
    Most managers have little-to-no people/management skills.
    Facilities including the core IT is in pretty bad shape
    Many restrictions which are cumbersome because of security concerns

Advice to Management

Start allowing sub-ordinates to review their superiors during your "360-degree" review!
    Do not promote people only because of their technical skills ... look for someone with true people/leadership/managerial skills. That is in DESPERATE need and these skills typically have nothing to do with technical skills.
    Begin treating System Administrators with a little respect and begin working WITH them instead of OVER them (especially if you are not a System Administrator yourself). This causes all kinds of problems and greatly affects morale.

6. "A great place to work"

Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Westford, MA
    Former Employee - Senior Electronics Technician in Westford, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great People...Great Environment.....Great Benefits.....Cutting edge technology....Challenging projects....a good pension...Health care for life if you are there for a certain amount of time.

Cons

Keep security in mind at all times.

Feb 6, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your insight. The nature of our work does mandate that security is a big aspect of day to day work. We are proud to have been recognized for excellence in our security practices by... More

7. "Great place to work"

Former Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time

Pros

Low level of stress, cool projects. 12 holidays plus 15 vacation days to start. Good salary. Managers give a significant level of autonomy to new employees.

Cons

Mostly older people, not too many young college grads. Sometimes a bit too much bureaucracy to get parts fabricated by machine shop.

Advice to Management

I like that management gives a high level of trust to new employees and allows them to explore their interests.

Feb 6, 2017 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. We do try hard to get new employees involved as early as possible. Over the lest few years, our population has gradually been reflecting a shift to more early career... More

"Probably One of the Best Places To Work...BUT"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA

I worked at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great learning environment! Great people! Worked with some of the smartest people that I have ever had the pleasure to work with! Everybody, for the most part, worked as a team to get a "job" done. If you are a developer, or an engineer it is an incredible place...most everything you do is from the ground up. You develop or make it.

Cons

No HR support to resolve issues. Too many program managers, and engineers (at least in the groups I worked in) wanted to do anything possible to get around security regulations in order to get their job done. Many times wanting to bypass IT Personnel altogether. Very long, slow process to move between groups. The Lab doesn't do anything quickly.

Advice to Management

Institute managerial training for all personnel in managerial/leadership roles. There is training for Program Managers, Group Leads, Division Heads, but not IT Leads. The IT Lead that I worked with for over 4 years should never been in a managerial role. He had anger-management issue, he physically threatened other employees (which was covered up by the Group) and routinely bullied and intimidated. When I brought it to HR's attention, I was forced out. HR should've done more to rectify this situation, and worked with the Group to move one of us to another group, provided anger-management training to this individual instead of just forcing me out the door.

Dec 19, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

We appreciate your comments and are glad that you found a number of positives. It is a concern that you did not feel that there is HR support. The type of issues that you describe are not... More

9. "IT Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Senior IT Engineer in Lexington, MA

Pros

Great relaxed yet cutting edge technology. Very Smart people to work with.

Cons

Unpredictable length of contract and lack of direction at times

Dec 19, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for your comments. It should be noted that working here as an employee is a different circumstance than working as a consultant. We appreciate your thoughts.

10. "Great if you're a patriotic engineer that values stability and family time over pure career advancement"

Current Employee - Assistant Technical Staff in Lexington, MA
    Current Employee - Assistant Technical Staff in Lexington, MA

I have been working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- A lot smart, talented people work here.
    - There are some very exciting projects to work on.
    - Good benefits.
    - Excellent work-life balance. Very few other tech companies respect your time as much.
    - Job security. People work here for decades, unusual in tech.
    - You get the warm, fuzzy feeling of knowing your work is helping your nation and your world.

Cons

- Advancement is largely determined by what degree you have. If you have a bachelor's degree, don't expect to be promoted even if you work here for years.
    - Pay is less than at other tech companies. It's a government contractor, so that's to be expected.
    - Relying on government funding is very frustrating. Great projects die because the government is afraid to invest.
    - Security is important and necessary, but it can put up frustrating barriers at times. For example, a software tool we use happens to be developed in a foreign country. When we invited one of the developers to give us training, he wasn't able to touch any computers while he was here.

Advice to Management

Provide better compensation and advancement opportunities, or your top employees will slip away.

Dec 5, 2016 – Recruiting Manager

Thank you for taking the time to comment. We actively review compensation and continue to seek improvement. As a Federally Funded Research and Development Center we are able to pay competitively... More