Cover image for MIT Lincoln Laboratory

4.3
MIT Lincoln Laboratory Director Eric Evans
Eric Evans

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "did i mention the people are great?(in 73 reviews)
  • "Great benefits for both the Laboratory and MIT(in 55 reviews)
  • "Good work life balance for specialists(in 28 reviews)
  • "Nice and smart coworkers.(in 11 reviews)
  • "My experience there was phenomenal, I got to work with so many great students along with my great colleagues.(in 11 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MIT Lincoln Laboratory and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?
  1. 5.0
    Featured Review

Great Company

May 26, 2022 - Systems Engineer in Boston, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to work on what you want Unlimited opportunities for growth. If you want to do something new here. Just do it. Work life balance is great

Cons

None that I can think of

2. 5.0
    Current Employee

lincoln lab review

Dec 17, 2022 - Specialist in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good work environment and collaborative

Cons

Not great mobility without a higher degree

3. Join the MIT Lincoln Laboratory team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great Mission But Old Habits Die Hard

Jan 30, 2023 - Anonymous Employee in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

The benefits are fantastic; matching 401K, MIT pension, PTO, federal holidays off, flexible work schedules.

Cons

The Lab has been around a long time and, despite junior employees finding newer, more efficient processes for executing tasks, there is still a lot of push back from lower level management with "this is how we have always done it". Can be discouraging at times but overall, I understood the reasoning why.

5. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Good for the start and end of your career but that is it.

Dec 19, 2022 - Assistant Staff
    Business Outlook

Pros

Cool innovative projects. If you work hard you can develop your own ideas to retain funding

Cons

There are no promotions for hard working and innovative staff members. They generally push people to quit versus promoting their own staff and it takes years to get promoted to the position you actually work at. This generally leads to high staff turnover. The thing that is the most frustrating is generally management realizes they need to replace the staff that quit with someone who works at the level they were asking for in the first place. The salaries are really low for the area and management is generally poor.

Continue reading
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Great People, slightly archaic

Jan 25, 2023 - Business Manager in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits Great people Good Pay

Cons

Disorganized in some areas Very intelligent people who may not be willing to change Limited upward mobility for business backgrounds as engineering dominates

7. 5.0
    Former Employee

Beaver Works Summer Institute

Oct 18, 2022 - Teaching Assistant
    Business Outlook

Pros

I worked at the Beaver Works Summer Institute as a Teaching Assistant. My experience there was phenomenal, I got to work with so many great students along with my great colleagues. I participated in the program as a student the previous year, and it was a great time to come back as a TA to give back what the program has given me.

Cons

The program was hosted online, and as a result it was difficult at times to aid students with their projects. Additionally, it is sometimes difficult for students to connect with each other, but we utilized online platforms, such as Discord to help with that.

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and insights as a former employee of Lincoln Laboratory! We are pleased you had a positive experience as a student and a TA and it is nice to read what you find most enjoyable about working at Lincoln Laboratory.

8. 5.0

Great place to work

Nov 30, 2022 - Technical Staff in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exciting work in all kinds of technical areas. Large enough to be very stable without being overwhelming.

Cons

Closely aligned with government/DoD so bureaucracy of some tasks can be annoying. Pay slightly lower than some similar industries, but job security is very good.

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thanks for sharing your appreciation for the research and work load across the Lab, as it signals we are focusing our efforts in the right areas. But we do understand that our incentives won’t appease everyone, but we’re doing our best to listen and improve where we can.

9. 4.0

Ok

Jan 10, 2023 - Finance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great place to work after COVID.

Cons

None that I can think of at the moment.

10. 5.0
    Former Employee

OK Employer

Dec 5, 2022 - Quantum Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Technology emporium where you will learn a lot.

Cons

Could be more employee centric.

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and insights as a former employee of Lincoln Laboratory! We are pleased you had a positive experience as a Quantum Engineer and it is nice to read what you found most enjoyable about working at Lincoln Laboratory.

11. 5.0
    Current Employee

Research Lab

Nov 29, 2022 - Assistant Group Leader in Lexington, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Excellent people, facilities, and world class research

Cons

Process and detail-laden. Can be slow to react.

Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for holding our employees and research in high regard, just as we do. We're proud of each one of our employees and the meaningful contributions they make to the organization.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 390 Reviews
</>Embed

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Reviews FAQs

MIT Lincoln Laboratory has an overall rating of 4.3 out of 5, based on over 565 reviews left anonymously by employees. 87% of employees would recommend working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory to a friend and 77% have a positive outlook for the business. This rating has decreased by -2% over the last 12 months.

According to anonymously submitted Glassdoor reviews, MIT Lincoln Laboratory employees rate their compensation and benefits as 3.9 out of 5. Find out more about salaries and benefits at MIT Lincoln Laboratory. This rating has decreased by -4% over the last 12 months.

87% of MIT Lincoln Laboratory employees would recommend working there to a friend based on Glassdoor reviews. Employees also rated MIT Lincoln Laboratory 4.3 out of 5 for work life balance, 4.1 for culture and values and 3.7 for career opportunities.

According to reviews on Glassdoor, employees commonly mention the pros of working at MIT Lincoln Laboratory to be culture, career development, benefits and the cons to be management, compensation.

Popular Careers with MIT Lincoln Laboratory Job Seekers

JobsSalariesInterviews

Work at MIT Lincoln Laboratory? Share Your Experiences

MIT Lincoln Laboratory logo

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Careers

Cover image for MIT Lincoln Laboratory

Rich Technical Challenges The real-world challenges of U.S. security and protection provide a continuously evolving array of satisfying,...More

• Working Here
  • Culture
  • Development

Reviews by Job Title

Company Updates

1 days ago

Careers
SUMMER RESEARCH PROGRAM Each summer, the Laboratory offers undergraduate and graduate students the unique opportunity to gain hands-on experience in a leading-edge research environment. Program participants contribute to projects and gain experience that complements their courses of study. In recent summers, we've hired more than 200 students representing top universities. Students have opportunities to: - Interface with national experts in numerous fields of research - Work with state-of-the-art equipment on real-world technical applications - Present the results of their research conclusions at the end of the summer
Shared image - Summer Research Program
Summer Research Program
www.ll.mit.edu

22 days ago

Company News
In a visit to MIT, Under Secretary of Defense for Research and Engineering Heidi Shyu spoke about the DoD’s initiatives to build a stronger U.S. manufacturing base and to tackle the country’s “toughest challenges.” After the talk, Shyu visited labs across campus. MIT Lincoln Laboratory’s Eric Evans and Bob Shin joined Under Secretary Shyu to hear about student projects at MIT Beaver Works and about Beaver Works’ summer institute for high school students
Shared image - Strengthening America's manufacturing base
Strengthening America's manufacturing base
www.ll.mit.edu

MIT Lincoln Laboratory Photos

+ Add Photo
MIT Lincoln Laboratory photo of: The Laboratory's Main Entrance
MIT Lincoln Laboratory photo of: MIT Lincoln Laboratory
MIT Lincoln Laboratory photo of: Some of the MIT Lincoln Laboratory Team that developed Localizing Ground Penetrating Radar.

Expert Career Advice

MITRE

3.7

1,913 Reviews
Compare

Glassdoor has 565 MIT Lincoln Laboratory reviews submitted anonymously by MIT Lincoln Laboratory employees. Read employee reviews and ratings on Glassdoor to decide if MIT Lincoln Laboratory is right for you.