MITRE Reviews in Boston, MA | Glassdoor

MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes
1 Rating

Pros
Cons
  • The quality of work-life balance has deteriorated (in 18 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

"Flexible, engaging, and challenging. Great people!"

Current Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Incredibly smart, kind coworkers.
    - Managers who genuinely want you to succeed (and help you get there)
    - Culture of collaboration
    - Coworkers will drop what they're doing to help someone else learn and grow
    - Innovative environment where I feel challenged
    - Flexible schedule
    - Great PTOB allowance
    - Tons of career options, no matter if you're younger or older
    - Extremely generous education reimbursement
    - Fun environment - lots of hackathons and other activities

Cons

- Typical 'old boys club' mentality among some of the older male employees. They are allowed to treat others badly because of their government connections and ability to 'bring in business'. That is found more on the Project side. Get yourself into a Tech Center and you'll find a lot less of that. Also, most of the 'bad apples' (again, there are only a handful in a company of thousands) are retiring now and the younger folks are much better.

- Engineering leaders (PLs, CEs) should be required to take the same management/people-facing classes as Group Leaders and Department Heads. Many engineers cannot deal well with people and could definitely use some training on the subject!

- Nepotism abounds (can be good in some cases, but terrible in others)

Advice to Management

HR, if there are multiple bad reports on one employee, it shouldn't matter how much business they bring in, please fire them. MITRE has so much going for it, weed out the bad apples.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the culture and career opportunities here! We appreciate your feedback on the other issues you raised. We encourage you to share your concerns with your HR ... More

2. "Great place to intern, learned lots"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Good work/life balance, cool and challenging projects, many interns, lots of fellow female employees

Cons

Pay is a bit low for a tech internship

Advice to Management

I was consistently impressed by management at MITRE! I think that MITRE could probably afford to pay interns a little more generously. This wasn't a very large issue, though, since the projects interns get to work on are very well funded and quite interesting.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship!

3. "Good Introduction to Software Engineering"

Former Intern - Software Engineer(Internship) in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Developed intern program
    Good mentors
    Real projects

Cons

Mentors are often busy
    Interns don't all have similar skills
    little opportunity to explore the company

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you enjoyed your internship here!

"Like any company: mixed good and bad"

Current Employee - AC4 in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - AC4 in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work can be challenging, meaningful and in the best interest of the nation.

Most of MITRE are very intelligent, sharing, helpful people with knowledge and skills. Most MITRE staff still believe in the "MITRE value"

Cons

MITRE is a STE (people work/units for govt sponsors) constrained, expensive, systems engineering FFRDC in a very tight economy trying to leverage their small, internal research budget for value impact.

So, you'll see some work change-up as they readjust to the realities, and fear from leadership as they change to meet the challenge. e.g., internal, "research whatever we want", (also called the self licking ice cream cone) mentality is shifting to becomecustomer-impacting Innovation process. Yes, this means some internal winners and losers.

Also, as you see in the reviews, some locations or divisions believe and act on the MITRE promise. Some don't. This is a bad manager problem, all companies have a few.
    e.g., The internal job-jar posts a part-time coding task (25-30%), but requires you move to DC. What? ... yet, another division supports teleworkers, to accommodate family/life issues.

Some managers just aren't managers, they're engineers. So, managing their department work flow (jobs available vs. staff coverage) isn't a habit or process! So, that was why you were looking in the job jar for work!? Some managers used to be called "resource managers," and now most suggest that its not their job to help find work for their staff.

Now, compare this to the (roughly equivalent in size/prestige) big-5 consulting shops: Each department is run like a mini business, managing workflow, mapping staff capabilities to requested work. See the difference? For many, many years managers were never trained or incented (e.g., there was no charge code for management overhead work, you simply charged each of your staff's project codes for small amounts of time - to manage them)

MITRE is learning these business improvements in an historically engineering-heavy culture.

That is why MITRE has never been a good "first" company for new graduates: lack of support, higher expectations, managers are really engineering-smart people vs. people-managers.

... But, now they're attracting and needing younger folks (due to costs, skills, etc.) who get jaded by the "manage yourself" management style.

Advice to Management

Less fear, more, actual, sponsor management
    (1) from people trained in actual portfolio management - not just engineering PhDs;
    (2) with less hubris in those interactions, because the sponsors are tired of the "I'm the smartest person in the room" "Let me tell you what you need." attitude.

There is a MITRE value or MITRE promise (not to be confused with the MITRE "way") and it implicitly includes the employee-manager expectations. Why isn't this consistent across the FFRDCs, Centers, etc.? I wonder what the employee attrition rate is ...

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thank you for your feedback. We're glad to hear that you enjoy working with your colleagues here. We're proud of the technical and organizational expertise that our staff brings to the table and ... More

6. "Administrative Assistant Jobs"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Non-profit company. Very good benefits. Fairly flexible work schedule. Good pay.

Cons

Large corporation where sometimes you feel like you're just a number and a statistic that looks good on paper. Sometimes felt Admin. staff were treated as second class.

Advice to Management

I would advise management to be more open to suggestions from Admin staff who often try to make things run more effectively and efficiently. Engineers are great at Engineering. Not always great at managing Administrative Assistants.

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

We're glad to hear that you enjoyed the benefits and flexibility! We value all employees here and appreciate your feedback regarding administrative assistants.

7. "Great Company to work at"

Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Intern in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

Great company, I liked the MITRE culture, it seemed very supportive and conducive. I felt as though I was part of my team.

Cons

Commute is almost never good regardless of where you live

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you enjoyed our culture!

"Have Not Enjoyed My Time Here"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Software Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Looks good on your resume to have worked here.

Cons

You have to whine a lot for leadership to (1) even understand what you're capable and (2) invest in your success. Highly bureaucratic. Many nested acronyms.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

We're sorry to hear that you're not enjoying your time here. If you're struggling with acronyms, you can try the list on our intranet or ask a colleague for help. You may want to discuss your ... More

9. "Fantastic company"

Current Intern - Software Development Intern in Bedford, MA
    Current Intern - Software Development Intern in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Great pay, great atmosphere, and a ton of support

Cons

have to deal with strict security protocol

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your internship here!

"great place to start a career not sure about long term"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bedford, MA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

lots of technology; variety of experts; work life balance; values employee education

Cons

lots of projects that probably won't see the light of day; visibility within company dependent on projects

Advice to Management

need to figure new ways to retain new talent; lots of great young talent go through MITRE but don't seem to stick

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your experience here! We continue to work hard to attract and retain high-quality staff.

"Best place for multiple careers!"

Current Employee - Director in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Director in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public interest and 'nation's biggest challenges' focus creates ALOT of opportunities to learn and grow serving the country

Cons

A bit slow (and a bit of a reflection on the federal sponsor pace) but working hard to change

Advice to Management

Don't take your foot off the gas! Follow up, follow through, and keep your eye on the sponsor mission and outcomes!

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the opportunity to serve the public interest here.