MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
Cons
  • Most managers don't offer work from home or telecommuting even though they brag about work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

1. Featured Review

"Company of thinkers and doers that listens and deliberately tries to change"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Very smart and motivated people, everyone is very "achievement focused" (goes above and beyond to honor promises), and a strong push to maximize work-life balance. Strong sense most of the time that what you do matters, and that you are making people's lives better as a result. Much of the work is hard, but I feel like I'm both doing *good* and treated well. For example, the first post on this page (requesting management do a quality survey) is now a standard practice and they started with CCG as the commenter recommended. It might take some time, but it seems all good ideas are listened to. I feel like I'm very well listened to, as long as I communicate clearly and frequently.

Cons

This place is a strong mix of government, academia, management, and consulting. It seems that people who don't communicate what they want feel left out. Some employees act like typical contractors waiting to be told what to do, and they seem to have the worst experiences. Those who communicate clearly with their managers and take some risks seem to rise quickly and are trusted within the organization. Lately there have been many more "business" people hired that have less of a technical background - and they seem to have trouble integrating with the deep technical roots of the company.

Advice to Management

Refocus on the technical core - and communicate clearly to new business-minded employees that lower quality work will not be accepted. Everyone has a duty to use the most technically appropriate solutions for their work, and we need more attention to incentivize people to use that technical mastery.

Oct 3, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review. We appreciate you taking the time and making the effort to communicate your thoughts with us.

2. "Collaborative engineering environment"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public mission, excellent opportunities for prototyping to solve sponsor challenges, work life balance, collaborative environment, great colleagues

Cons

Can be conservative and under constraints of government programs

Advice to Management

Keep to grow focus on speed and innovation, hire more industry talent versus former government and DoD base

3. "Lots of changes on the horizon"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Good benefits, interesting work, some really great people at all levels of the company

Cons

Work-life balance and the gender gap in pay

"Butts in seats mentality but will insist that's not what they do"

Former Employee - Lead Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great benefits, facilities, parking, location, and perks - like Starbucks. Good meeting facilities. Nice variety of training courses inside Mitre if you are allowed to take them.

Cons

You often have to be "between assignments", meaning you have no work coverage, to take courses. Being between assignments is the same as having one foot out the door. You must find work and advocate for yourself. Nobody cares if you stay or leave. Management is too worried about getting fired or their next promotion.

The company lacks integrity in being proactive with sponsors. They talk about being honest with the customer and then refuse to do so to prevent losing work -- even when it'd the wrong work.

Managers wait until tasked. Tory sure not proactive and will Only do what the customer asks and won't tell them they think there's a better way. All managers walk around too fearful to do anything beyond lowest common denominator. They continue picking more junior staff for senior positions due to cost constraints and worrying that the senior person will show them up. Morale at all levels is a serious problem. Trust is even worse.

Advice to Management

Lead by example. Get rid of ineffective Vice Presidents who are vindictive and disrespectful to staff. Encourage risk. Don't just complain that staff are risk averse. They're that way for a reason.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

We appreciate your feedback, and are glad to hear that you enjoyed the benefits here. Publications including the Washington Post consistently rate MITRE as a top place to work. In developing their ... More

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Principal Policy Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Policy Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Generous benefits. Collaborative atmosphere. MITRE is a first-rate organization that really cares about its people. Turnover is about 5% and many employees have been there 10-20 or more years.

Cons

Not really much not to like other than too much nepotism at the top. Seems the only qualification required to reach the upper ranks of corporate leadership is being born into the right family. They hire smart people, and give them challenging work. MITRE runs five FFRDCs covering everything from the FAA, IRS, DoD to Medicare.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire talented team members. Strive to maintain the high standards that make MITRE a trusted name in its field. Shake up the senior leadership because there is too much nepotism. Too many of the top people are from one family.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed MITRE's benefits and collaborative atmosphere.

"Principal Engineer"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Trusted advisor to government customers. Independent and unbiased thinking to help customers with important work like writing RFIs and RFPs. Technology comparison and pilots. Developing prototypes.

Cons

Company has strayed from it's core values. Become butts in seats without differentiating from regular contractors.Clueless project leaders, managers, directors and managers. Just trying to make it to retirement.Too many non-technical staff. Strong technical skills not valued. Company was founded as an engineering firm. "Do as I say but don't do as I do" mentality from management. Mgrs & PLs who are problematic are NOT taken to task.

Advice to Management

Fire all incompetent PLs, Sr. Mgrs Directors and staff who are of no value to the FFRDC mission. Hire a new CEO from the outside who leads and manages by example.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

We're sorry to hear that you're unhappy with your work. We are proud to have strong technical talent at MITRE, as well as excellent people leading the company. Our government sponsors provide regular ... More

8. "A GREAT Place to Work"

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in the public interest is very rewarding, but doing so as part of a not-for-profit Federally Funded Research and Development company is even better.

Cons

I just can't think of any - seriously!

Advice to Management

Ensure all those who are producing for their sponsors are recognized for their contributions.

Jan 6, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We’re glad that you share the commitment to helping our nation move forward. We agree that it is important to continue to recognize our employees for their hard work, and will ... More

9. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent and interesting work. Strong management support.

Cons

Salary is close but not in alignment with consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Please make the promotion process more transparent.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear that you enjoy your work and the support from your management.

10. "Great company"

Current Intern - Computer Science in McLean, VA
    Current Intern - Computer Science in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours
    Ability to remote work on day one but not recommended
    Pay is more than other government organizations but MITRE is technically a private company
    There is an enormous amount of diversity in the projects you can work on

Cons

There's a slow climb to moving up the company ladder
    You likely won't be working in just one location unless you work at McLean. Any satellite offices will often report back to McLean on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.

11. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great public service focus; no quarterly pressures to meet wall street earnings. Incredibly talented and collaborative staff. Get to work on country's most challenging problems. Ability to work across a wide array of problems but you have to self initiate to get the diversity of work.

Cons

Fixing national scale problems that involve changing government can be hard and slow. Should continue strengthening technical career path options.

Advice to Management

Help new people onboard better. This is especially true for areas where lots of new hires from different companies require extra attention.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We are currently working on a technical career path initiative to better clarify a path for those interested in advancing their career without moving into management. We ... More