MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

Rating Trends Rating Trends
MITRE President and CEO Alfred Grasso
Alfred Grasso

Pros
Cons
  • Most managers don't offer work from home or telecommuting even though they brag about work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

"Pay for performance"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE part-time

Pros

Management for the last several years has been pushing the concept of pay for performance. This concept seems to apply to the employees and not the officers.

Cons

In the past several years MITRE management has been pushing the MITRE Way. This is not something new, but a resurrection of the way MITRE did things before about the year 2000.

A newer resurrection from the past is to re-establish the dual ladder, one for technically focused staff and another for those wishing to go onto the management track. This was first adopted in the 1994 timeframe.

Since MITRE is pushing pay for performance, maybe the officers compensation should be adjusted to what it was in the 1990s.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. You may want to consider discussing MITRE's employment and compensation program with your HR business partner.

2. "How is retirement structured these days?"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

- Challenging projects
    - Plenty of resources to get the job done
    - Comfortable culture in which to work

I didn't see any other place to pose this question. I'm considering returning to MITRE as a direct employee. I recently read in two separate articles that "retiring employees can expect to make 80-90% of their working income as a result of MITRE's retirement plan".

Is this something that is still in effect? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Cons

Management need to keep their ear to the ground on employee issues. Other than that, my salary as a freelancer was great and have no other cons to list.

Advice to Management

Management needs to remain in tune with employee issues be proactive.

Jun 14, 2016 – Comms Representative

We encourage you to submit your question here: https://www.mitre.org/general-inquiries. We’ll get someone on our HR team to email you back directly.

"Entrenched Middle Management"

Former Employee - Desktop Support in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The flexible schedules for most employees was nice, and they placed emphasis on work/life balance. Additionally, some employees were permitted to work from home permanently.

Cons

The salaries are low, and it is difficult to get promoted. The easiest way to get promoted seems to be to leave the company and return. There are too many middle managers who have very little relationship with their employees. Many departments have managers, associate department heads and department heads, and each is entrenched. Another issue that I saw over 10+ years at MITRE is that many people are forced out of their positions over personality conflict, age or cost-related issues.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed work-life balance during your time with MITRE. Our employees are pleased with the new performance and development process that aims to foster ... More

"MITRE - its not a pope hat"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is great
    Enjoyable and impactful work
    Benefits are not too bad
    Tons of "lifers" 20+ years

Cons

Only way to get promoted is to go into management
    Managers are really unskilled at management as they are all promoted technical people

Advice to Management

Hire some people out of business school

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thanks for posting. We’re happy to hear you enjoy MITRE’s work-life balance and your work. We are currently working on a technical career path initiative to better clarify a path for those interested ... More

6. "Senior Analyst"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is good compared to similar companies

Cons

Management does not listen to its senior analysts or advisers.

Advice to Management

Listen to and evaluate your employees' ideas.

Oct 21, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review. We are disappointed to hear that you don’t always feel your voice is being heard. We will continue to provide feedback to our managers to ensure our employees feel their ... More

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization has a few good things working for it - health benefits are good, the technical work is excellent.

Cons

Up until 2009, the organization had good morals and principles as well as a firm working environment that was conducive to a healthy place to work. Today, the environment displays a stressful and "clickish" undercurrent. The rules of engagement applies to some and not all. All is not what it appears to be on the surface of this once fine organization.

Advice to Management

Take heed MITRE - all employees are to be treated equally - black, white and indifferent. Your organization can be a great place to work once again if all managers were trained properly in the art of how to manage people fairly.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

We appreciate your feedback and echo your sentiment that MITRE’s technical work is superior. We pride ourselves on having excellent people leading the company. We are proud of the recent significant ... More

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Data Analytics, Senior in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Data Analytics, Senior in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Work life balance is very good - direct management is actively engaged in employee development.

Cons

MITRE hires for life - normally a pro, but it means a few bad apples are left to wreak havoc and alienate teams. As a matrix organization, management is discouraged from and sometimes penalized for actively seeking to remove those bad apples.

Advice to Management

If this were a for-profit company, it would not exist, as the inmates are running the asylum.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your direct management is actively engaged in your development. MITRE is proud to have many long-term employees who continue to enjoy their time ... More

"Software engineer"

Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Software Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

Smart people to work with

Cons

a lot of bureaucracy

Advice to Management

Open up for new technology and flatten up the management as much as possible

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

We’re happy to hear that you enjoyed the people that you worked with during your time at MITRE. We agree that it remains important for MITRE to stay up-to-date on the latest technology in order to ... More

"good company"

Current Employee - Security Specialist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Security Specialist in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Lots of educated, intelligent people to work with.

Cons

Security perpersonnel are overworked and undervalued.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We regret that you feel overworked and undervalued. We encourage you to voice your concerns with your supervisor or an HR representative.

"A very very deep talent pool"

Current Contractor - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Contractor - Information Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great talent, great mission, nice facility

Cons

Like many companies, lots of political wrangling

Advice to Management

Say what you do, do what you say.

Aug 7, 2015 – Comms Representative

We are proud to have such a fantastic campus in McLean filled with talented employees. We strive to be transparent in all that we do and will continue to maintain transparency in the future.