MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

4.0
MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • MITRE Has the best work life balance for their employees (in 242 reviews)

• Great benefits; interesting work programs (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• It's not clear that the Board or upper management know either (in 22 reviews)

"Great work life balance, but not the most exciting work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Attempts to keep up to date with newest tech
    - Not very stressful
    - People are all very nice and welcoming
    - Great, for those who like the suburbs while in close proximity to DC

Cons

- Niche domain makes the work not as interesting unless you are into the domain
    - Very distinct age gaps
    - Communication efficiency outside of your team may vary
    - A lot of old technology still exists due to intertia
    - Traffic is terrible

Advice to Management

Get new employees more enthusiastic about the domain

2. "Great place for work-life balance and smart colleagues"

Current Employee - Health Policy Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Health Policy Analyst in McLean, VA

Pros

Smart colleagues and important mission are what make the job interesting.

Cons

No possibilities for advancement, as there is a lot of outside hiring, constant change and re-organization.

Advice to Management

Advance from within

"Many Good Things... A Few Not So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE offers great, challenging work in a collaborative environment with collegial colleagues. The company values work-life balance (mostly) and treats its employees as adults.

Cons

A few of the SVPs are unpredictable, coming up with new ideas every few months and pushing them down without considering the impact on the company.

Advice to Management

Keep MITRE's Values in mind when creating new things (e.g., Speed & Technical Excellent).

"Awesome company"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great pay and benefits some of the best I've seen. Company definitely gives employees the opportunity to improve their skills.

Cons

Too competitive resulting in unethical behavior. Some upper level management seem to endorse this behavior. Need to spend time deterring this type of behavior.

Advice to Management

Spend time resolving issues that seriously affect the work environment.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed your time here.
    As a public-service oriented organization, we take ethics seriously, and believe that it's critical for all employees to... More

5. "Great culture with flexible work arrangements."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MITRE has a very good culture overall that fosters teamwork, professional growth and innovation. Work-life balance is also respected with flexible work arrangements available.

Cons

Growth is not clearly defined for early and mid-career professionals. In addition to being a good performer, career growth is also based on the project you work on as well as your Project Lead and Group Lead (admin supervisor). Office politics is minimal but also plays a part nonetheless.

Advice to Management

MITRE does meaningful work that focus on public interest and management needs to continue to focus on taking care of the good people who are vital to its mission. Look hard within first before going out and hire someone who may or may not be a good fit.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you enjoyed the culture and work/life balance here at MITRE! Employees are encouraged to raise concerns about career growth with their supervisors or their HR business partner.

6. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Principal Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Competitive Pay, work in public interest (not for profit) strong mission focus, lots of work flexibility, top notch staff

Cons

A little heavy on internal overhead

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the mission here!

7. "A valued intern"

Current Intern - Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Intern - Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm given real work and the flexibility to choose my projects as well as respect from my full time peers. Additionally, I have the flexibility to work remotely, (even while I'm at school full time) and I can choose when I want to work my hours. Let's be real, not everyone is productive on the 9-5 schedule. As long as I'm doing the work and logging my hours, I'm golden.

Cons

Unfortunately, some of my immediate superiors don't take as much interest in me or my work thus I struggle to find much room for growth within my department. The department you work in will largely shift your outlook of the company.

Advice to Management

...

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your internship! You may want to discuss your concerns about growth with your HR business partner.

"Great company!"

Former Employee - Principal Policy Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Policy Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Generous benefits. Collaborative atmosphere. MITRE is a first-rate organization that really cares about its people. Turnover is about 5% and many employees have been there 10-20 or more years.

Cons

Not really much not to like other than too much nepotism at the top. Seems the only qualification required to reach the upper ranks of corporate leadership is being born into the right family. They hire smart people, and give them challenging work. MITRE runs five FFRDCs covering everything from the FAA, IRS, DoD to Medicare.

Advice to Management

Continue to hire talented team members. Strive to maintain the high standards that make MITRE a trusted name in its field. Shake up the senior leadership because there is too much nepotism. Too many of the top people are from one family.

Feb 22, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your feedback! We're glad to hear that you enjoyed MITRE's benefits and collaborative atmosphere.

9. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent and interesting work. Strong management support.

Cons

Salary is close but not in alignment with consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Please make the promotion process more transparent.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear that you enjoy your work and the support from your management.

"Good exposure to tech but..."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

MITRE is a good place to work if you are fortunate enough to land in the software Dev area. There are opportunities for hard workers coming from engineering backgrounds other than software to begin a software path, but you have to work pretty hard to demonstrate yourself. Starting out you will be a professional PowerPoint engineer and have to write a lot of documents/deliverables that will be added to the ever growing pile of documents unread by the FAA or whoever your sponsor is. The details in these reports and the pure mathematical/physical science backing these documents or white papers is astonishing, in a good way. I worked with the smartest people of my life while here, both book smart and real world application smart.

At a certain point you will realize that this is a place where it is better to show up after a few years of "expertise" at other companies. Sarcasm on expertise because I witnessed a few government lifer employees with the TS clearance and blah blah but we're probably the worst coders I have ever seen, yet they were in charge of some important responsibilities. If you start your career here, it is very likely that you will be severely undervalued because hey, they "created" you. No matter how much overtime you perform there will always be that top heavy management structure above you. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have a team leader directly above you that values your work and speaks on behalf of you to upper layers of management. If you do not have this you will be invisible. I pushed myself out there cautiously many times in hopes of becoming more noticed, since I would rarely receive positive feedback. I worked my behind off and was a completely self taught best practice syntax software snob, and proud. When I left MITRE started approaching Booz Allen reviews, where you could work 60-70 hours a week for a month, then request a half day or two on a Friday and the sky was falling.

In the end, great exposure to technology, great opportunities to thrust yourself into different software areas (back end, front end, big data, etc, etc), but you will one day realize that you are severely undervalued given the quality of work coming out of your office. This isn't a bad thing, because there are many hungry companies looking for people like this that will immediately jump your pay by 30% if you are a good negotiator and know your market value.

Place to retire. Get out into the private sectors after you have gobbled up all the exposure for 4-5 years and start your six figure career path. Making 100k+ a year after serving time here is easier than you would think, I make more now than people directly above me did at MITRE, and will continue to do so forever.

Cons

No bonuses, raises are usually only on cycle (end of year), unless you have worked crazy hours and get an off cycle raise in the summer.

Level 2/3 employees are very undervalued if they are not celebrated by team leaders. Promotions above level 3 seem to take place only within a small brotherhood.

MITRE values graduate level education. Systems engineering degrees from Johns Hopkins or George Mason seem to only service the "appearance" of better work quality, however this just means more deliverables (papers) that are added to the unread pile. The people at MITRE doing the real work are the ones with solid coding skills, and a background in mathematics, aerospace, or physics. There are concepts out there that are proven to benefit the sponsor (FAA) but progress is a slow roll of a ball up the hill for 10 years, not even joking. Imagine endless meetings, simulations, papers, deliverables, etc on a project for 10 years. If the FAA were privatized it would be more like 1 year, 2 tops.

Raises will at most be 3% per YEAR. That's what you get for working at a non profit. However, there is 7.5% salary marching on a 2% contribution. So your IRA rollover after its all over will be in good shape.

No culture. I talked to some management layer people a few times on activities outside of work. Each time I had the distinct feeling that I should guard what I say. It just seemed like all people in management cared about was work. I feel sorry for their wives. Other management that came from industry had way more personality, however it was obvious after awhile that they only displayed a fraction of their personalities while at work.

When I left the career development reports were growing to an alarming government rate. HR was on a binge to get people to do quarterly updates on progress. It was constant, and unrealistic. Most of my software projects were so deeply involved that they were 6 months to 1 year in length. I would literally get funny looks when my leader wondered why things were not completed yet, even though I gave weekly updates and everything was thumbs up for months, until the quarterly review. The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal. And for what benefit? This is government politics at its finest, impress only yourselves when no one else gives a damn, and never stepping back and asking, why do I care about this?

You will become lost in the non existent culture. Hope that your leader is very tech savvy, not just someone promoted from within that hasn't the experience. Either that or someone that is a great leader, and celebrates his/her minions to upper management.

If you are not outgoing, you will have zero relationship with management beyond your direct supervisor.

Advice to Management

Celebrate your employees more. Spread information downstream freely. There are some in management that have no business being there, and compartmentalize information to keep the underlings in the dark. I am not sure if this is intentional behavior, but I was told on more than one occasion that information was above my pay grade. That kind of approach to dealing with the people you are paid to direct is unwelcome and foreign.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

We're glad that you enjoyed the retirement benefits, which we aim to be above industry standard for non-profits. We recently updated our performance and compensation program to include ongoing... More