MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• I found the company to be quite top heavy with "management" with generally too much emphasis on documentation (in 21 reviews)

1. "Positive experience"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Work life balance
    -The PAY is fairly competitive considering you are not killing yourself working. Other contractors pay more, but they also require over 40 hr work weeks
    -Interviewing was smooth

Cons

Traffic. Plan your schedule accordingly

2. "Compensation and benefits provided by MITRE Corporation"

Current Employee - Project Leader in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Project Leader in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Their pay is competitive and their benefits and employment stability are above their industry average. Their non-profit support to many critical government missions provides significant job satisfaction.

Cons

In an effort to stay most competitive "price-wise" with other contractors, there has been some belt-tightening in the last few years that have begun bringing their overall compensation back toward the pack, but still have a ways to go before they'd be "apples to apples" with them

3. "Excellent internship experience"

Current Intern - Data Scientist Intern in McLean, VA
    Current Intern - Data Scientist Intern in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

- Intelligent and motivated people
    - Most people I work with have doctorates, which encourages an academic environment. This means time to think and to tinker with stuff.
    - Nice office

Cons

- Finding coverage can be stressful and lead to undesirable projects. Best thing to do is to network and line up the projects you want.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people, the "meaningful purpose" and the good-hearted thinkers. Very smart people who are trying to maximize security and health of America. Genuinely nice people who really feel committed to their ideals and work for less pay that their for-profit counterparts because the ideas and "karma" are so important.

Cons

There are many micro-cultures that don't always stay in sync. Everyone is heroic in their job, but don't always spend the time to value the contributions of others - but I think this is improving through a current reorg. The world and government is changing so fast and management is trying to pivot with it - and this creates communication lags and further loss of sync.

Advice to Management

More communication - you really can't explain enough of your visions and intents. Have more events where you focus on our culture and explainijgnyour values. They are good and trustworthy values that would reassure many if they are heard more!

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your thoughtful review. We're glad to hear that you're so deeply invested in helping our government sponsors succeed in their missions. We appreciate your feedback about the need for... More

5. "Great place"

Current Intern - Intern in McLean, VA
    Current Intern - Intern in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

It feels like a campus and they give you the opportunity to make connections really well. The culture is somewhat relaxed and most people are willing to help one another out.

Cons

Nothing much that I can mention as a serious flaw.

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review!

6. "Mitre review by ARS"

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work life balance is a priority and expected at Mitre. Clients present interesting opportunities for meaningful and interesting work. Compensation and benefits are among the best for not for profit Federally Funded Research and Development Centers.

Cons

Organization structure is relatively flat and may limit opportunities for upward progression.

Advice to Management

No advice, leaders are open to suggestions and show a genuine concern for their employees.

May 19, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear you're enjoying your work – and work/life balance!

7. "It's a great place to work and getting even better!"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Interesting work, great benefits, it's easy to move around the company to find new projects or to take on a new role, very smart people, the company has a solid reputation, you can work onsite or remotely (lots of flexibility), the buildings and offices are very nice (but you might have to share an office), and management is focused on making MITRE a great place to work. MITRE is a wonderful place to work at any stage in your career. The new CEO is a strong leader who will make hard decisions, maintain the integrity and quality of the company, and continue to foster a culture of learning and innovation.

Cons

The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE. There is still buzz that men are paid higher than females for the same work/roles, but the company put measures in place to make sure promotions are more transparent, which should improve the perception of inequality.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work with regard to being transparent with communications. The new CEO has great ideas and is going to continue to ensure MITRE does high-quality work and adapts to meet the needs of the government sponsors.

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We're happy to hear that you're enjoying the environment here.

8. "Collaborative engineering environment"

Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Staff Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Public mission, excellent opportunities for prototyping to solve sponsor challenges, work life balance, collaborative environment, great colleagues

Cons

Can be conservative and under constraints of government programs

Advice to Management

Keep to grow focus on speed and innovation, hire more industry talent versus former government and DoD base

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that you're enjoying your work here! We're continuously reevaluating recruiting and retention methods and appreciate your perspective.

9. "A GREAT Place to Work"

Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Working in the public interest is very rewarding, but doing so as part of a not-for-profit Federally Funded Research and Development company is even better.

Cons

I just can't think of any - seriously!

Advice to Management

Ensure all those who are producing for their sponsors are recognized for their contributions.

Jan 6, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We’re glad that you share the commitment to helping our nation move forward. We agree that it is important to continue to recognize our employees for their hard work, and will... More

10. "Great company"

Current Intern - Computer Science in McLean, VA
    Current Intern - Computer Science in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely flexible hours
    Ability to remote work on day one but not recommended
    Pay is more than other government organizations but MITRE is technically a private company
    There is an enormous amount of diversity in the projects you can work on

Cons

There's a slow climb to moving up the company ladder
    You likely won't be working in just one location unless you work at McLean. Any satellite offices will often report back to McLean on a weekly or bi-weekly basis.