MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

MITRE McLean Reviews

Updated December 11, 2017

McLean, VA

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • MITRE Has the best work life balance for their employees (in 242 reviews)

• Great benefits; interesting work programs (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• It's not clear that the Board or upper management know either (in 22 reviews)

"Good place to work"

Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They really live the values of work/life balance here. There's flexibility when you need it, interesting work for the most part, and good teamwork. The benefits are good too.

Cons

It can take a while to advance and grow a career. Accordingly, salaries seem to grow very slowly.

Advice to Management

Reward top performers with competitive raises and bonuses. It would help boost morale and incentivize the right behaviors.

Oct 3, 2016 – Comms Representative

We are pleased to hear you enjoy MITRE’s work-life balance, benefits and working with your team members. Thanks for your review.

"I Actually Love Coming to Work"

Current Employee - Aviation Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Aviation Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging and interesting work in the public interest, excellent work life balance, great employees who work with you and not against you!

Cons

Slow promotion rate, and raises barely keep pace with inflation. But, there are many opportunities to move within the company laterally and those options keep things challenging and interesting.

Advice to Management

Continue to keep the lines of communications open - the brown bags with upper management are well worth the time!

Oct 3, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thanks for your feedback. We appreciate you taking the time to leave a review.

3. "How is retirement structured these days?"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

- Challenging projects
    - Plenty of resources to get the job done
    - Comfortable culture in which to work

I didn't see any other place to pose this question. I'm considering returning to MITRE as a direct employee. I recently read in two separate articles that "retiring employees can expect to make 80-90% of their working income as a result of MITRE's retirement plan".

Is this something that is still in effect? Any help on this is greatly appreciated.

Cons

Management need to keep their ear to the ground on employee issues. Other than that, my salary as a freelancer was great and have no other cons to list.

Advice to Management

Management needs to remain in tune with employee issues be proactive.

Jun 14, 2016 – Comms Representative

We encourage you to submit your question here: https://www.mitre.org/general-inquiries. We’ll get someone on our HR team to email you back directly.

4. "Modeling/simulation"

Former Employee - Modeling/Simulation in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Modeling/Simulation in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Work with very intelligent people
    Interesting projects
    Great learning environment for initiative/challenging yourself
    Work/life balance
    Benefits

Holds a lot of weight on your resume but the environment itself will make it a difficult decision to leave!

Cons

None

The only reason I left is to relocate across the country. My team fought for a teleworking agreement but it was denied as they are cutting back on them, which makes sense because it could limit growth.

Advice to Management

None, thank you for taking care of your employees

Jun 14, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to post. We’re happy to hear you enjoyed your time at MITRE and hope your relocation went well.

"Great FFRDC history, but fuzzy future as bureaucracy continues with bloated 6 & 7 entourages ranks"

Former Employee - Principal Multidicsipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Multidicsipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Real need in niche FFRDC space from sponsor for skiils. Great projects to get on if you seek them out on your own and kiss right rings to get on. Unless funding gets cut and Level 6 or 7 staff kicks everyone off, but makes sure they protected themselves with sufficent remaning STE budget to cling to another 10 different projects they will nickel and dime.

Cons

No technical innovation or engineering leadership comming out of Level 6 & 7 senior managers. Not all, but most hide behind PM duties by making it sound overly complicated; come on guys - its a STE cost only budget, not like you're managing a real P&L or projects with 100s of STE on. Day to day operations and culture is run by highly bloated, overly politcal, and non-technical or lacking relevant technical skills of far too many Level 6 & 7 staff.

Advice to Management

Recapture your former glory of “making systems engineering history” by finding out what your Level 6 & 7 staff really do, not just what they tell you they do. Cut thru politics of that layer and find out where real innovation and value is being created in your organization. (1) If your Level 6 & 7 managers are spending too much time in self-created admin efforts in their office, (2) not having quality [documented] face time with sponsor with actions items for them personally to follow-up [not stuff they delegated to others to produce; like another PowerPoint or whitepaper tutorial for themselves], which Level 6 or 7 will most likely take credit or can’t fully explain to sponsor, or (3) they are charging far too many projects (>5) small fractions of time to cover their own STE [this doesn’t allow for temporary transitional beach time in budget plan for other level staff to move between project assignments or get quality training time to stay current, which is why your sponsors come to MITRE]. Then this should tell Execs your Level 6 & 7 are better at smoke & mirrors of their personal value-add, than really adding value to MITRE reputation or morale of employees at levels below them to build next generation. Next time you RIF, have objective 3rd party evaluate where nonproductive STE fat must be cut and not let Level 6 and 7 get involved. Otherwise, you’re just perpetuating the same oppressive culture.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

We’re happy to hear you enjoyed the projects you were on while at MITRE. Our senior-level executives are committed to having an open door policy and encourage staff to escalate challenges to them. We... More

6. "Interesting and innovative workplace with good stability"

Current Employee - Senior Strategist in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Strategist in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Healthy work-life balance; talented and hard-working colleagues; an opportunity to contribute to objective and interesting solutions in the pubic interest

Cons

The environment and mindset can be a bit old-school. MITRE is striving to assemble a more diverse workforce yet leadership remains significantly male and Caucasian.

Thanks for your review!

"Entrenched Middle Management"

Former Employee - Desktop Support in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Desktop Support in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The flexible schedules for most employees was nice, and they placed emphasis on work/life balance. Additionally, some employees were permitted to work from home permanently.

Cons

The salaries are low, and it is difficult to get promoted. The easiest way to get promoted seems to be to leave the company and return. There are too many middle managers who have very little relationship with their employees. Many departments have managers, associate department heads and department heads, and each is entrenched. Another issue that I saw over 10+ years at MITRE is that many people are forced out of their positions over personality conflict, age or cost-related issues.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your feedback. We’re glad that you enjoyed work-life balance during your time with MITRE. Our employees are pleased with the new performance and development process that aims to foster... More

"MITRE - its not a pope hat"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance is great
    Enjoyable and impactful work
    Benefits are not too bad
    Tons of "lifers" 20+ years

Cons

Only way to get promoted is to go into management
    Managers are really unskilled at management as they are all promoted technical people

Advice to Management

Hire some people out of business school

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thanks for posting. We’re happy to hear you enjoy MITRE’s work-life balance and your work. We are currently working on a technical career path initiative to better clarify a path for those interested... More

"Great Place"

Current Employee - Lead Sys in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Sys in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to learn. Great benefits. Flexible work hours.

Cons

Remote work is almost impossible. It's a fend for yourself mentality. Management does not support...but peers are very supportive.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thanks for your review. We’re sorry to hear that you have not been able to successfully work remotely. Many MITRE employees enjoy that ability to do so, and we recommend discussing this further with... More

"Good work-life balance"

Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Operations Research Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There is a very good work life balance here and a lot of flexibility of working hours. The atmosphere is also very friendly and not cut-throat. There is also a lot of support moving between contracts.

Cons

There is limited career growth for early-career professionals. Promotions can be fairly slow moving.

Apr 27, 2016 – Comms Representative

We regularly hear that our employees continue to make MITRE a great place to work, and we appreciate that they make others feel welcome and appreciated. We recommend that you talk to your manager... More