MITRE Reviews in McLean, VA | Glassdoor

MITRE McLean Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

McLean, VA

Pros
Cons
  • Most managers don't offer work from home or telecommuting even though they brag about work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

1. "Department Manager"

Current Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Department Manager in McLean, VA

Pros

work life balance, collaborative work environment, meaningful work

Cons

challenge in balancing the business needs with sponsor needs

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your feedback! It is always a challenge to balance competing needs, but we are proud of how well we’ve been able to manage them.

"seriously great place to work"

Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Communications Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE seriously values the opinions of their employees...almost to a fault! I've been there for 9 years and when they get feedback that employees are unhappy they move quickly to try to fix, and sometimes so quickly that it seems a bit hasty, but I guess that's a good problem from a large company. The benefits are too notch, their package blows other contractors out of the water. Really smart people who have good experience. I'm constantly learning from my peers. Awesome culture of information sharing and collaboration. I can reach out to anyone across the company and get good info without being asked for a charge number to answer a few questions. Flexible hours and good work life balance. Really good work. Tough projects and access to info that other traditional contractors can't access, making you more effective at your job. Decent work space, although not hip or trendy by any means. They recognize good work and reward where they can. During sequestration they put everyone on overhead, carrying many for over 3 weeks. No layoffs or forced vacation. I really respected the company for that, they care about their work force and don't have the same bottom line that for profit companies have. Aging work force is going to leave many opportunities for up and comers in the next few years. Also there is a large emphasis on training and continuing education. I got my masters from George Washington University for free!!!

Cons

Low attrition leaves some folks around who really should be encouraged to move on. Management is hit or miss, as in any company. Pay is below average, but they do have amazing benefits, so it's not really too far off if you factor that in. There's not a whole lot of worker comraderie, most folks get along but aren't what I would consider close friends. It's easy to get sucked into projects and end up putting in lots of hours. In general though, that is self driven and not encouraged by management. Some folks are grumpy. People have been there for a long time so it's easy to get stale and complain. In general folks don't know how good they have it!

Advice to Management

Trust your middle managers to interface with customers, don't meddle in topics where you have SMEs working daily who know the details and politics.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to write such a thorough review. We’re pleased to hear that you still love working at MITRE after more than nine years and have taken advantage of some of the fantastic ... More

"Good Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The organization has a few good things working for it - health benefits are good, the technical work is excellent.

Cons

Up until 2009, the organization had good morals and principles as well as a firm working environment that was conducive to a healthy place to work. Today, the environment displays a stressful and "clickish" undercurrent. The rules of engagement applies to some and not all. All is not what it appears to be on the surface of this once fine organization.

Advice to Management

Take heed MITRE - all employees are to be treated equally - black, white and indifferent. Your organization can be a great place to work once again if all managers were trained properly in the art of how to manage people fairly.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

We appreciate your feedback and echo your sentiment that MITRE’s technical work is superior. We pride ourselves on having excellent people leading the company. We are proud of the recent significant ... More

5. "excellent place to work"

Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

Company is amazing and everyone is really friendly and helpful. Best job I ever had!

Cons

It's a BIG company so its easy to get lost and sometime hard to get hold of people.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review!

6. "Solid Mitre Internship"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE (Less than a year)

Pros

I interviewed for a specific project, but I ended up getting to pick the project I wanted to work on once I arrived. The project ended up having some really cool interdisciplinary work.

Cons

Seemed like it's a bit difficult to shine at the lower levels, but not too overwhelming. The dedicated sponsor hours is also somewhat frustrating.

Advice to Management

Make an attempt to add more flexibility to the dedication and limitation of hours to certain sponsor projects. Perhaps a big pool of hours for a sponsor.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review about your internship. We are happy to hear that you enjoyed your project and the opportunity to do work on an interdisciplinary project. We understand ... More

"Principal Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Principal Software Development Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Collaborative, open, sharing environment. You really do have the option to create your own career path. There are a lot of very smart people at MTRE.

Cons

Research program is a bit overhyped. It's more like a post-doc place to go for people who have a hard time fitting into a regular work force. Frequent reorganizations to create more higher level positions. Has a bit of an inverted project management structure where more junior people can lead projects and the senior people become very expensive individual contributors.

Advice to Management

Seek out the people doing the real work and reward them.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for posting. We’re happy to hear that you enjoy the collaborative environment at MITRE and with your co-workers. We are pleased with the quality work and research that happens throughout all ... More

"Totally Different"

Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

Good work-life balance UNLESS your assignment requires working on-site at a sponsor facility, they you're faced with long commutes and D.C. traffic jams.
    Excellent retirement plan - high matching contributions
    Nature of work can be a pro or con, but changes frequently

Cons

Salaries lower than for-profit companies
    Promotions nearly impossible
    Leave your resume behind - what you did elsewhere does not count

Advice to Management

Recognize and learn from the diverse work experiences that your employees bring. there is a very strong "not invented here" attitude that is not beneficial.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for your review. While there are many benefits to working on-site at a sponsor, anyone living in the Washington, D.C. area can understand your frustration with long commutes and traffic jams ... More

"Great opportunities but jobs are hard to get"

Current Employee - Lead Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Lead Cyber Security Engineer in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance as others note is a big one. I also really like working with a good mix of well-meaning staff. Very few of the back-stabbing, ladder-climbing folks that you find in other workplaces, but I've heard they exist. Luckily I've not had to deal with them.
    This is a place where junior staff, if they are lucky enough to be selected, can get valuable insights on how government contracting works so that they can leave to gain higher salary elsewhere. And if they plan it right, perhaps they return to MITRE where their experience is rewarded.

Cons

Nothing that you don't experience working elsewhere if the work primarily involves support of the US government, security, sudden project cancellations, not enough funding to pay for the work needed to do it right, etc.

Advice to Management

Great job of growing the company in uncertain financial times!

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for such a positive review. We are glad that you enjoy your co-workers and the work-life balance at MITRE.

"Great opportunities"

Current Employee - Data Analytics, Senior in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Data Analytics, Senior in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Work life balance is very good - direct management is actively engaged in employee development.

Cons

MITRE hires for life - normally a pro, but it means a few bad apples are left to wreak havoc and alienate teams. As a matrix organization, management is discouraged from and sometimes penalized for actively seeking to remove those bad apples.

Advice to Management

If this were a for-profit company, it would not exist, as the inmates are running the asylum.

Aug 17, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review. We are happy to hear that your direct management is actively engaged in your development. MITRE is proud to have many long-term employees who continue to enjoy their time ... More

11. "Technical Summer Intern"

Former Intern - Summer Technical in McLean, VA
    Former Intern - Summer Technical in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

I had a great experience at MITRE working on an exciting project. Everyone was friendly and seemed genuinely interested in the work they were doing. Great facility with good food and a gym available.

Cons

Some of the other interns worked on much less exciting projects focused on data entry and database querying.

Aug 24, 2015 – Comms Representative

Thanks for posting. We’re really glad your enjoyed your project assignment and interning at MITRE!