MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In many departments, having work/life balance is just talk (in 19 reviews)

• Management is top heavy with our new president creating another layer of management to reward his confidants (in 21 reviews)

1. "MITRE"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Get to work on high impact projects in the public interest at a non-profit organization

Cons

Difficult to get promoted once you reach a certain level

"Life at MITRE"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Good Pay and Benefits
    Many project oppotunities

Cons

No mobility upwards
    No funding for training
    Do not support Team Work, you are on your own
    Poor Project Managers
    You have to find your own projects to join
    Most projects are short term 3-6 months
    Management has overall tunnel vision
    Lack of management support

3. "Site Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, and good coworkers.

Cons

Managers are not trained to manage people, they are just promoted to the next level.

Advice to Management

All managers need to be trained to deal with people and real life issues.

"A Few Insights"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a technical person with business minor I could’ve work for many companies but the MITRE seemed to be an interesting mix of technical and management people. MITRE’s projects also sound interesting and fun. It has been more than three years and I’m okay with this not-for-profit company. My salary and benefit has not changed much, or “It is stable”. The company has nice state-of-the-art buildings, office furniture, and well maintenance environment.

Cons

MITRE is a complicated organization and it is hard for business to grasp what IS its main work. MITRE seems to be an old company with fresh make-up and tries to act young, sometimes it is kind of embarrassing. It is also confusing if MITRE is a solid technology company or just a management company. Average salary for past years aside, I see a lot of people with fancy titles but do not seem to do much work. I don’t even know these people can work in real-world consulting companies. I read in advertisement a long time ago the company was a deep technical expertise in many subject areas helping Federal agencies, but that was before I was born. My talk with friends working in other consulting companies made me think MTIRE is running on a lot of marketing without deep technical knowledge. Someone also told me that new employees are being paid low because of a lot of corporate management overheads. While I heard stories that large monetary bonus has been awarded to higher up, but I don’t think any technical or younger employees will receive and significant bonus. I don’t feel close to my colleagues because supervisors are either inexperienced or very secretive works available. It can be a difficult work environment if you are not a favorite of your managers. Many older employees are friendly but are not willing to provide much information to help us younger employees. There just seem to be some mis-match between what we are advertising and what we do, at lease from my part of the company.

Advice to Management

Reduce people who do not have the knowledge to do their work, even with excellent communication skills.

5. "The Best Place to Work"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

MITRE is actively recruiting and advancing women, minorities, and early career employees. Great opportunities for professional growth and career advancement. Former senior government employees are sought to fill many senior and mid-level management positions. Growth potential for the FFRDCs managed are tremendous. Best career opportunities are at the McLean and Bedford locations.

Cons

Mid-career employee opportunities for advancement are limited. Focus of training budgets will go mostly to early career employees. More experienced employees will have to rely on returning to graduate school and tuition reimbursement. Unconscious bias remains an unspoken issue. If your manager never makes you known to senior management or gives you opportunities to work high priority projects your career is dead ended no matter what your abilities are. Many good technical people have "retired." Early career employee retention beyond three years remains a concern.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. No need for improvement at this time.

6. "Many Good Things... A Few Not So"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MITRE offers great, challenging work in a collaborative environment with collegial colleagues. The company values work-life balance (mostly) and treats its employees as adults.

Cons

A few of the SVPs are unpredictable, coming up with new ideas every few months and pushing them down without considering the impact on the company.

Advice to Management

Keep MITRE's Values in mind when creating new things (e.g., Speed & Technical Excellent).

7. "The Mitre Corporation Review from an employee"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Excellent retirement package; flexible work schedule.

Cons

Hard to get recognition if you are a back end developer. Most promotions go to Group/ Project Leads that interface directly with our Stakeholders.

8. "Group Leader"

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance. Smart people.

Cons

Pay. Slow pace of work at times.

"Mostly awesome company"

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

MITRE cares about it's employees, unlike many other defense type contractors. As a non-profit they are able to do the right thing, and not just what makes the most money.

Cons

While they almost always guarantee work on a project, you may just hate the project you get put on. There are great ones, and bad ones.

Advice to Management

Encourage more creativity. Too many engineers lack the ability to view things from different perspectives.

"Rampant nepotism"

Former Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great engineers and scientists who are really technical (although too few percentage wise to "managers"). Nice digs. Easy to get comfortable and not want to leave the office to meet with pesky customers. Pretty much get any resources you need or want.

Cons

High overhead with fewer benefits. Rampant age discrimination, gender, and racial bias. No, hiring a non technical music major to head up a big part of your technical work program and a female HR VP who knows nothing about HR but will do anything to please the CEO. isn't the answer.

Advice to Management

Get some high talent female technical talent with real experience and stop talking to women like you're their personal servants. Stop hiring and promoting your family members and family members of board members. It isn't credible.

MITRE Response

Jul 31, 2017 – Public Affairs

MITRE has a strong history of commitment to fair and equal treatment of all employees. We are proud of the internal and external recognition the company (and its VP HR) have received for innovative... More