MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

MITRE Reviews

Updated December 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • MITRE Has the best work life balance for their employees (in 242 reviews)

• Great benefits; interesting work programs (in 47 reviews)

Cons
  • The pay is rumored to be lower than other companies, but the environment is less cut-threat and you have a better work-life balance at MITRE (in 18 reviews)

• It's not clear that the Board or upper management know either (in 22 reviews)

"Site Administrator"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aberdeen, MD
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Aberdeen, MD

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good benefits, decent pay, and good coworkers.

Cons

Managers are not trained to manage people, they are just promoted to the next level.

Advice to Management

All managers need to be trained to deal with people and real life issues.

2. "Group Leader"

Current Employee - Group Leader
    Current Employee - Group Leader

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work Life Balance. Smart people.

Cons

Pay. Slow pace of work at times.

"Mostly awesome company"

I worked at MITRE full-time

Pros

MITRE cares about it's employees, unlike many other defense type contractors. As a non-profit they are able to do the right thing, and not just what makes the most money.

Cons

While they almost always guarantee work on a project, you may just hate the project you get put on. There are great ones, and bad ones.

Advice to Management

Encourage more creativity. Too many engineers lack the ability to view things from different perspectives.

"Disappointed"

Former Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Lead Engineer in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Really good work life balance
    Great Matching retirement plan

Cons

It is very difficult to describe what MITRE is. In my opinion, MITRE is a weird combination of government contractor, Government agency, and University. Most of the projects that I worked with were just simple engineering work, which you can find it in any other government contractor. MITRE has an internal research program, which MITRE brags a lot. This program is a highly bureaucratic, and proposals are only considered if they come from well-known/well-seasoned employees (employees with 10+ years in the company).

In MITRE I found 2 well defined groups of people; Young people (early career), and older employees. Young people come to MITRE right after school, and they only last couple of years in the company. Older employees come to MITRE usually from private industry, ready to enjoy the work-life balance, work for ~8-years, and then retire. In this company, life-work balance really means employees come late to the office, leave early, and give 75% every day. It is easy to get comfortable, and become obsolete fast. Some people like it that way, I can not judge them.

Finally, I would say that there is not perfect company. However, if you don’t belong to the 2 groups of people I mentioned above, think twice before joining MITRE.

Advice to Management

Don’t waste people taxes money in meaningless research projects, and career development programs. Leaders need to remove from their minds the non-profit mentality

5. "The Best Place to Work"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

MITRE is actively recruiting and advancing women, minorities, and early career employees. Great opportunities for professional growth and career advancement. Former senior government employees are sought to fill many senior and mid-level management positions. Growth potential for the FFRDCs managed are tremendous. Best career opportunities are at the McLean and Bedford locations.

Cons

Mid-career employee opportunities for advancement are limited. Focus of training budgets will go mostly to early career employees. More experienced employees will have to rely on returning to graduate school and tuition reimbursement. Unconscious bias remains an unspoken issue. If your manager never makes you known to senior management or gives you opportunities to work high priority projects your career is dead ended no matter what your abilities are. Many good technical people have "retired." Early career employee retention beyond three years remains a concern.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing. No need for improvement at this time.

"Pave your own way"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Collaborative work environment, great opportunities to expand technical depth

Cons

Management is reluctant to communicate bad news or strategic direction. If you aren't conventionally technical, then it becomes difficult to find managers who will advocate for your career growth

Advice to Management

Difficult news does not get better with time. Trusted advisor role at the highest levels of an organization means that sometimes you have to move beyond technical. Reward the people with those competencies, not just deep tech.

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the work here. You may want to explore the Careers in Motion resources here to explore potential growth options tailored to your... More

"Lots of changes; some that make sense, others that don't"

Current Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Systems Analyst in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of smart people. Plenty of challenges in the sponsor domain that allow for opportunity to have significant impact.

Cons

The culture has changed radically. We used to be focused on quality, and nothing trumped that. That was our value-add, being that we're charged with being at the right hand of our sponsors ensuring they're focused on the right things and investing in the proper technologies. But now it's about speed "without sacrificing any quality." It's completely contradictory, and disheartening because it radically changes the culture. And the new leaders/leadership hierarchy sound like we're preparing to be a for-profit entity focused on augmenting our bottom line. ... Again, disheartening.

Advice to Management

I understand changes are necessary to remain relevant and of value to our government sponsors. But completely sacrificing MITRE's culture and identity to do it is forcing people to looks elsewhere. Because if we're going to function like a typical for-profit contractor in DC, we might as well get paid like them. To date, everyone has taken less pay to be part of this nonprofit... because we believed in the mission/role we played. Since that appears to be at risk of changing, it makes no sense to take the personal financial hit anymore.

Jun 23, 2017 – Public Affairs

I understand your concerns about moving faster. You're not alone in raising this issue — I've received a lot of similar feedback. Our sponsors are telling us they need us to be faster and more agile... More

"Program Manager, Principle"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work life balance is great

Cons

Slow promotion is a problem

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

It's great to hear that you're enjoying the work/life balance. You may want to discuss your concern about promotions with your supervisor or HR business partner.

"Manager"

Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Love the people, the "meaningful purpose" and the good-hearted thinkers. Very smart people who are trying to maximize security and health of America. Genuinely nice people who really feel committed to their ideals and work for less pay that their for-profit counterparts because the ideas and "karma" are so important.

Cons

There are many micro-cultures that don't always stay in sync. Everyone is heroic in their job, but don't always spend the time to value the contributions of others - but I think this is improving through a current reorg. The world and government is changing so fast and management is trying to pivot with it - and this creates communication lags and further loss of sync.

Advice to Management

More communication - you really can't explain enough of your visions and intents. Have more events where you focus on our culture and explainijgnyour values. They are good and trustworthy values that would reassure many if they are heard more!

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your thoughtful review. We're glad to hear that you're so deeply invested in helping our government sponsors succeed in their missions. We appreciate your feedback about the need for... More

10. "Good company"

I have been working at MITRE full-time

Pros

Great place to work always

Cons

Cannot think of a con

Jul 14, 2017 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear that things are going so well for you here at MITRE!