MITRE Reviews | Glassdoor

MITRE Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
Cons
  • Most managers don't offer work from home or telecommuting even though they brag about work life balance (in 19 reviews)

• The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal (in 21 reviews)

1. "Principal"

Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Principal in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent and interesting work. Strong management support.

Cons

Salary is close but not in alignment with consulting firms.

Advice to Management

Please make the promotion process more transparent.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! Glad to hear that you enjoy your work and the support from your management.

2. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Principal Behavioral Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Behavioral Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MITRE is ranked in the top 10 best places to work in Washington, DC, Boston, MA and other locations. The company promotes creativity, innovation, life balance, and lifetime learning. You can't do better.

Cons

None. MITRE strives to broaden its base to include a wide range of scientists, mathematicians, as well as engineers and to achieve gender and ethnic balance.

Advice to Management

Don't stop what you are doing. It's working to achieve your goals.

Thanks for your review!

3. "Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Great public service focus; no quarterly pressures to meet wall street earnings. Incredibly talented and collaborative staff. Get to work on country's most challenging problems. Ability to work across a wide array of problems but you have to self initiate to get the diversity of work.

Cons

Fixing national scale problems that involve changing government can be hard and slow. Should continue strengthening technical career path options.

Advice to Management

Help new people onboard better. This is especially true for areas where lots of new hires from different companies require extra attention.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review! We are currently working on a technical career path initiative to better clarify a path for those interested in advancing their career without moving into management. We ... More

5. "Lead Information System Engineer"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

A lot of opportunities to explore the new cutting technology. Great Colleagues, Nice working environment and benefits. Flexible schedule.

Cons

Sometimes projects run short and you need to hop around a lot to find the next ones.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Glad to hear you enjoyed your time here!

"A tale of two MITREs..."

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

If you work in the tech centers there are flexible work arrangements, reward outside the box thinking and encourage creativity. However if you work in the project/customer facing departments there is an entirely different mentality (see cons). There are really great problems to work on challenges for the federal government, and if you aren't happy on one project, most managers help you move to other projects as needed. Some people like that its a non-profit.

Cons

Some managers are really old school and at times the company moves just as slowly, ineffectively and painfully as the government. Since they took 30 years to get where they are, they try to hold employees back with the mentality they also need to "pay their time". This is inconsistent across the company, but you have to know which type of department you're getting hired into. Aim for the tech centers instead of the projects/programs departments, they are more innovative. Benefits like flex time and other conveniences are also not allowed for employees in a standardized way, though they are advertised by the company, it is manager dependent. There is also this strange scramble at the end of the govt fiscal year to make people take time off or work more to try and spend their budgets exactly down to the dollar. Then at the beginning of a new year, people get dropped from projects and are expected to find new work when there aren't openings... no way to manage people.

Advice to Management

Stop behaving like a bureaucratic dynasty of old if you want to retain talent. Figure out what it is you value in your employees and what you want the company to be, train managers about this and standardize and reward those values when demonstrated.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

We're glad you enjoyed diverse array of work here. As we partner with government sponsors, we work hard to ensure that we help them find the right solutions to their challenges. We try to manage ... More

7. "Arabic Analyst"

Former Employee - Language Cultural Analyst and QC in Mc Lean, VA
    Former Employee - Language Cultural Analyst and QC in Mc Lean, VA

I worked at MITRE (More than a year)

Pros

Great company to work for.

Cons

Respectful place and nice people

Advice to Management

There is no advice to Management

Thanks for your review!

"Great place for engineering, not for management"

Current Employee - Department Head in New Bedford, MA
    Current Employee - Department Head in New Bedford, MA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

A great place to bring your engineering skills and remain as an engineer getting paid really well (you won't get filthy rich but you'll never be broke). You can grow as an engineer getting level promotions and learning more and more about technologies and the customer's operations.

Cons

Upper management is so hyper-focused on metrics, actually trying to measure the unmeasurable they haven't a clue that all the mid level managers are very disgruntled. Upper management has no trust of the employees or managers and it shows.

Advice to Management

Get a clue. Get rid of half the VPs, drop the portfolio/project bull and get out of your office and walk around. You used to be good engineers. Not so sure anymore.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for taking the time out to write a review! We're glad to hear that you're enjoying the work and growth opportunities.

9. "Manager"

Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA
    Current Employee - IT Manager in McLean, VA

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great place to work in northern virginia

Cons

Government contracting can be trying

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for the review! We're glad to hear you're enjoying your work here.

"MITRE"

Former Employee - Senior Network Systems and Distributed Systems Engineer in Fort Huachuca, AZ

I worked at MITRE full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Excellent company with great benefits and many opportunities. It was generally staffed with extremely intelligent professionals.

Cons

I found the company to be quite top heavy with "management" with generally too much emphasis on documentation. I prefer work that is more technical in nature.

Advice to Management

It seemed like the pyramid was inverted. Too many Chiefs and not enough Indians. While that provides promotional opportunities, there was too much emphasis on requiring "management" rather than technical expertise. Because of the sheer number of managers, it seemed like they were falling over themselves trying to justify their jobs. I felt managed to death with the only way to advance being to join those ranks. Instead I opted by job outside the company that was 100% technical.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for taking the time to post a review! We are currently working on a technical career path initiative to clarify a path for those interested in advancing their career without moving into ... More

"Good exposure to tech but..."

Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA

Pros

MITRE is a good place to work if you are fortunate enough to land in the software Dev area. There are opportunities for hard workers coming from engineering backgrounds other than software to begin a software path, but you have to work pretty hard to demonstrate yourself. Starting out you will be a professional PowerPoint engineer and have to write a lot of documents/deliverables that will be added to the ever growing pile of documents unread by the FAA or whoever your sponsor is. The details in these reports and the pure mathematical/physical science backing these documents or white papers is astonishing, in a good way. I worked with the smartest people of my life while here, both book smart and real world application smart.

At a certain point you will realize that this is a place where it is better to show up after a few years of "expertise" at other companies. Sarcasm on expertise because I witnessed a few government lifer employees with the TS clearance and blah blah but we're probably the worst coders I have ever seen, yet they were in charge of some important responsibilities. If you start your career here, it is very likely that you will be severely undervalued because hey, they "created" you. No matter how much overtime you perform there will always be that top heavy management structure above you. I cannot emphasize enough how important it is to have a team leader directly above you that values your work and speaks on behalf of you to upper layers of management. If you do not have this you will be invisible. I pushed myself out there cautiously many times in hopes of becoming more noticed, since I would rarely receive positive feedback. I worked my behind off and was a completely self taught best practice syntax software snob, and proud. When I left MITRE started approaching Booz Allen reviews, where you could work 60-70 hours a week for a month, then request a half day or two on a Friday and the sky was falling.

In the end, great exposure to technology, great opportunities to thrust yourself into different software areas (back end, front end, big data, etc, etc), but you will one day realize that you are severely undervalued given the quality of work coming out of your office. This isn't a bad thing, because there are many hungry companies looking for people like this that will immediately jump your pay by 30% if you are a good negotiator and know your market value.

Place to retire. Get out into the private sectors after you have gobbled up all the exposure for 4-5 years and start your six figure career path. Making 100k+ a year after serving time here is easier than you would think, I make more now than people directly above me did at MITRE, and will continue to do so forever.

Cons

No bonuses, raises are usually only on cycle (end of year), unless you have worked crazy hours and get an off cycle raise in the summer.

Level 2/3 employees are very undervalued if they are not celebrated by team leaders. Promotions above level 3 seem to take place only within a small brotherhood.

MITRE values graduate level education. Systems engineering degrees from Johns Hopkins or George Mason seem to only service the "appearance" of better work quality, however this just means more deliverables (papers) that are added to the unread pile. The people at MITRE doing the real work are the ones with solid coding skills, and a background in mathematics, aerospace, or physics. There are concepts out there that are proven to benefit the sponsor (FAA) but progress is a slow roll of a ball up the hill for 10 years, not even joking. Imagine endless meetings, simulations, papers, deliverables, etc on a project for 10 years. If the FAA were privatized it would be more like 1 year, 2 tops.

Raises will at most be 3% per YEAR. That's what you get for working at a non profit. However, there is 7.5% salary marching on a 2% contribution. So your IRA rollover after its all over will be in good shape.

No culture. I talked to some management layer people a few times on activities outside of work. Each time I had the distinct feeling that I should guard what I say. It just seemed like all people in management cared about was work. I feel sorry for their wives. Other management that came from industry had way more personality, however it was obvious after awhile that they only displayed a fraction of their personalities while at work.

When I left the career development reports were growing to an alarming government rate. HR was on a binge to get people to do quarterly updates on progress. It was constant, and unrealistic. Most of my software projects were so deeply involved that they were 6 months to 1 year in length. I would literally get funny looks when my leader wondered why things were not completed yet, even though I gave weekly updates and everything was thumbs up for months, until the quarterly review. The of lower management to impress upper management on the work of the umderlings was unreal. And for what benefit? This is government politics at its finest, impress only yourselves when no one else gives a damn, and never stepping back and asking, why do I care about this?

You will become lost in the non existent culture. Hope that your leader is very tech savvy, not just someone promoted from within that hasn't the experience. Either that or someone that is a great leader, and celebrates his/her minions to upper management.

If you are not outgoing, you will have zero relationship with management beyond your direct supervisor.

Advice to Management

Celebrate your employees more. Spread information downstream freely. There are some in management that have no business being there, and compartmentalize information to keep the underlings in the dark. I am not sure if this is intentional behavior, but I was told on more than one occasion that information was above my pay grade. That kind of approach to dealing with the people you are paid to direct is unwelcome and foreign.

Oct 26, 2016 – Public Affairs

We're glad that you enjoyed the retirement benefits, which we aim to be above industry standard for non-profits. We recently updated our performance and compensation program to include ongoing ... More