MITRE Reviews in Washington, DC | Glassdoor

Jason Providakes
1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • In many departments, having work/life balance is just talk (in 19 reviews)

• Management is top heavy with our new president creating another layer of management to reward his confidants (in 21 reviews)

1. "A World of smart people"

Former Intern - Internship in Washington, DC
    Former Intern - Internship in Washington, DC

I worked at MITRE as an intern

Pros

Best work life balance. Good benefits

Cons

Most of your work will be for Govt agencies and would require security clearance

Advice to Management

None

"A Few Insights"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As a technical person with business minor I could’ve work for many companies but the MITRE seemed to be an interesting mix of technical and management people. MITRE’s projects also sound interesting and fun. It has been more than three years and I’m okay with this not-for-profit company. My salary and benefit has not changed much, or “It is stable”. The company has nice state-of-the-art buildings, office furniture, and well maintenance environment.

Cons

MITRE is a complicated organization and it is hard for business to grasp what IS its main work. MITRE seems to be an old company with fresh make-up and tries to act young, sometimes it is kind of embarrassing. It is also confusing if MITRE is a solid technology company or just a management company. Average salary for past years aside, I see a lot of people with fancy titles but do not seem to do much work. I don’t even know these people can work in real-world consulting companies. I read in advertisement a long time ago the company was a deep technical expertise in many subject areas helping Federal agencies, but that was before I was born. My talk with friends working in other consulting companies made me think MTIRE is running on a lot of marketing without deep technical knowledge. Someone also told me that new employees are being paid low because of a lot of corporate management overheads. While I heard stories that large monetary bonus has been awarded to higher up, but I don’t think any technical or younger employees will receive and significant bonus. I don’t feel close to my colleagues because supervisors are either inexperienced or very secretive works available. It can be a difficult work environment if you are not a favorite of your managers. Many older employees are friendly but are not willing to provide much information to help us younger employees. There just seem to be some mis-match between what we are advertising and what we do, at lease from my part of the company.

Advice to Management

Reduce people who do not have the knowledge to do their work, even with excellent communication skills.

3. "Information Systems Engineer"

Current Employee - Information Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Great benefits, Flex Hours, Paid Vacation, Training, and higher studies

Cons

Lack of growth, Stale Job

Apr 3, 2017 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review!

4. "Best Place to Work"

Current Employee - Principal Behavioral Scientist in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Behavioral Scientist in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MITRE is ranked in the top 10 best places to work in Washington, DC, Boston, MA and other locations. The company promotes creativity, innovation, life balance, and lifetime learning. You can't do better.

Cons

None. MITRE strives to broaden its base to include a wide range of scientists, mathematicians, as well as engineers and to achieve gender and ethnic balance.

Advice to Management

Don't stop what you are doing. It's working to achieve your goals.

Dec 9, 2016 – Public Affairs

Thanks for your review!

"3 Concerns Regarding Not For Profit Contractor"

Current Employee - Principal Multidisciplinary Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Principal Multidisciplinary Engineer in Washington, DC

Pros

MITRE is a profitable (although not for taxable profit) federal-funded non-compete contractor for Federal agencies with pre-allocated funding. Business operation excess are re-invested and distributed as bonus if you are part of the organization who receive significant end-of-year distribution. Company accounting information is private and closely managed. MITRE is a comfortable working environment once you know what is the real kool-Aid and where revenue stream are from. Resource is aplenty here.

Cons

First there are a lot of old non-technical managers fighting hard to maximize their salary and end-of-year bonus; decisions are made purely based on operation expenses and profit. Many titles of MITRE employees are made up and does not describe the person's background, education, nor experiences. Some have non-U.S. graduate degrees and many have non-technical give-away master degrees for "hard-working" professionals. Second, the managers are not able to understand technical issues due to their lack of formal scientific education, while smart technical people are pushed/managed down to keep their technical advice to align with non-technical managers. Third, my fellow employees are largely what we expected from older federal agencies, we are not comfortable with non-traditional minority groups. With change of the world, MITRE really needs to start work hard to keep up with the evolving new technical ecosystem.

Advice to Management

Please review each manager's qualifications and improve their ability to communicate up-to-date technical issues. Improve managers' communication effectivity. Do not focus totally on money since this is a FFRDC non-compete business, and distribute larger portion of bonus to average employees.

Jun 14, 2016 – Comms Representative

Because MITRE is a not-for-profit operator of federally funded research and development centers, managers do not receive bonuses.

6. "Very Good Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Valuable, rewarding work
    Great professional development resources

Cons

Need to network and get face time to get best opportunities

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for your review!

"In Transition Second Round"

Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I am glad there is a place for second career government and military personnel. MITRE has many of us who worked for agencies with successful careers. This is a comfortable position to work now in a government contractor role with full retirement benefits. The facility is modern and up-to-date and I am providing similar management type services as my previous career.

Cons

Not clear the specific role MITRE play since I am providing similar work as government agency managerial-type jobs, a lot of back and forth, which should be done by my previous peers. The internal technology folks are pedestrian and not scientific behind the cover; it is difficult to get a straight technical answer which can be found on scientific web sites when I was with the government. While I will be getting another retirement, I am seriously thinking this is a borderline ethic question not for my pay grade.

Advice to Management

Keep the ball rolling.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thank you for taking the time to post a review. We’re happy to hear that you’re enjoying your second career at MITRE. Because we are a not-for-profit and are able to remain free of conflict of... More

"Getting Better"

Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Lead Information Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Work life balance
    Nice people
    Worthwhile purpose

Cons

Lack of direction
    Wheel spinning
    Inflated management egos

Advice to Management

Keep cleaning house
    Figure out who is really doing the work
    Listen to good ideas not political rhetoric

Apr 27, 2016 – Comms Representative

Thanks for taking the time to leave a review. We’re glad you’re happy with some of the changes that have been made. We will continue to move in a direction that is beneficial to our employees and... More

"Good Company from which to be an Independant Consultant"

Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Senior Systems Engineer in Washington, DC

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Nice EA Package. Solid benefits package. Good work - life balance. Nice body shop for Engineers.

Cons

Increasingly PC. Bureaucratic culture. Not meritorious. Core competencies not fostered and developed. Senior level management does not provide strategic leaderships, just stirs the pot. The MITRE Way has added another layer of bureaucracy with no apparent benefits to the company.

Advice to Management

Develop core competencies and refocus along core mission areas. Try something new, like rewarding good work. Ditch MITRE Way and go back to drawing board.

Apr 29, 2016 – Comms Representative

We appreciate your feedback. We are happy to hear that you enjoy the benefits and work-life balance at MITRE. We encourage you to reach out to an HR representative to speak further about your concern... More

10. "All American Company"

I have been working at MITRE full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The MITRE Corporation is the backbone of our government's decision making process in critical national areas including Veteran Care, Health Care, DoD technology spending, personnel management, security policy. It is the right policy to assure continual MITRE funding without undue influence from competition. Without MITRE's expert personnel helping our civilian employees, low quality and ineffective work would result in our government.

Cons

Excess internal and external rules, policy, and regulation. Many younger employees don't understand the essence of being a true MITRE. Many employees argue about insignificant points or left-field academic view points that is not MITRE. Not enough strong leaders to manage and help employees to work together to achieve MITRE goals. End of year rewards were diluted with those who did not deserve rewards.

Advice to Management

Become stronger leaders and weed out those who do not follow the MITRE goal and ideals.

Dec 31, 2015 – Comms Representative

We are happy to hear that you still enjoy your work after being with the company for more than 10 years. We put a premium on talent – both experienced and early career. Together, their different... More