Cover image for MITRE
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

MITRE Employee Reviews about "sponsors"

Updated Nov 24, 2021

Found 30 of over 2K reviews

3.9
MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

What people are saying about MITRE

Join the conversation on

Salary Negotiations

2m

works at

MITRE

Question for MITRE employees: if you already work at MITRE, then apply to a different job vacancy (within MITRE but in a different department and where the position is externally advertised), and then get the position… how do you handle the salary negotiation? ………….. Let’s say the new department offers you 180k… I know you’re always allowed to ask for more, but do you negotiate for more or no because you’re already a MITRE staffer? If you do, how much more would you ask for above 180k?

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "Poor Management and decline in technical depth(in 75 reviews)
  • "workers are not technical (without engineering degree training) and many managers' resume (their resumes are online) include graduate degrees that are useless for technical work.(in 55 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership quietly watching the CEO deteriorate the quality and integrity of the company in fear of their jobs.(in 48 reviews)
  • "Salaries are low but competitive by non(in 38 reviews)
  • "Upper management is a bit bloated and out of touch; technical company that hasn't figured out how to establish a clear technical track.(in 31 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MITRE and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "sponsors"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Control your own destiny (if you want to)

Oct 4, 2021 - Lead Scientist
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Employee wellness & work-life balance is a priority - Encouraged (but not forced) to step outside your comfort zone and broaden your perspective and grow professionally and personally - Encouraged (but not forced) to build your own network within and beyond the company and find those projects and roles that you want to be more involved in - Not for profit and (very) impactful work that benefits society/societies - Continued education is supported - lots of people going for their (2nd) Masters or PhD - Management tends to consist of promoted from employees "who know the drill"

Cons

Due to the nature of the organization and the business processes, the culture is unique and very different from any other industry organization. This often leads to some challenges with "figuring out how this place works" since you can't compare it to any other organization in industry. For instance, in industry if I step outside of my designated or siloed role and find a new client/sponsor/project and thereby create more work for myself or my group, I will get reprimanded or fired. At MITRE that is actually encouraged.

2 people found this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

Mission driven problems

Nov 11, 2021 - Senior Software Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MITRE is a great place to work to gain experience upon graduation from a university. As an FFRDC, they have a variety of interesting problems that can engage math, science, and engineering. There are also plenty of brilliant people if you wander down the hallway or across your building and seek them out. There is nothing more inspiring than having your ways of thinking evolve to accomplish great things.

Cons

Bureaucracy and instances of ineffective leadership are ultimately the top things that come to mind for what harms MITRE in the long run. Companies succeed in retaining their employees when management does the following: (1) advocates for their employees, (2) provides actionable opportunities for career growth, (3) removes red tape that prevents innovation (i.e. enables junior employees to communicate directly with sponsors so that they can be engaged in the process instead of being mere bystanders), (4) supports employee risk instead of penalizing it, (5) facilitates escalation when necessary, and (6) is capable of diving deep (they never ask an employee to do something that they are not capable of also doing themselves).

13 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the MITRE team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0

MITRE is Woke

Nov 17, 2021 - Cloud Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

Reasonable benefits. Work with some sponsors can be rewarding. Still has pockets of solid systems engineering. Good work life balance.

Cons

The company has lost its way. Driven by a politically progressive CEO, who is somewhat of a tyrant, MITRE has moved away from meaningful work in the public interest. Their focus is now a "safer world". They are pushing a divisive social justice platform. They are the driving force for vaccine mandates. In fact, the CEO is taking a hard stance on vaccine mandates within the company, denying the vast majority of accommodations. Hundreds of employees are senselessly being fired, furthering the brain drain of the company.

36 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 10 years

Gone Political, Gone Woke

Nov 24, 2021 - Principal Cyber Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

There are still some good smart people there doing their best to work in the national interest. Work-life balance is still good.

Cons

Corporate leadership is turning the company into a progressive think-tank working for a safe world. Adherence to the corporate message has become more valued than technical skills and being an honest, apolitical technical advisor to national sponsors. Have implemented a hard-core COVID vaccination mandate with extremely limited exemptions being granted. Protected class membership has become more important for advancement than skills and abilities.

23 people found this review helpful
  6. 1.0
    Current Employee

Was a good company, headed down fast

Sep 24, 2021 - IT Systems Security Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Good sponsors and great people at lower levels and that work close to customers.

Cons

Current CEO and upper management are leftist activists and have turned this formerly neutral company overtly partisan. They are slowly abandoning DoD and intel work which was the foundation of the company in favor of political civilian agencies (like HHS) and NGO groups . Management use CRT and covid/Vax rules to segregate staff, lots of tension between employees and with management now.

30 people found this review helpful

MITRE Response

Employee Relations Representative

At MITRE, we are proud of our 60-year legacy as a proven, public-interest organization across an increasing array of fields and domains. From our early roots working with the DOD – we are expanding our national and global impact as we partner across government, industry, and academia in the fields of health, cyber, justice, veterans affairs, social innovation, government modernization, and security and intelligence. Our value rests in our role as an independent and objective advisor, that serves our citizens and nation through a non-partisan, evidence-based approach that does not advocate for any specific position. We encourage and strive for diversity of thought and discourse across our organization, but we are apolitical in the solutions that we develop and deliver and always through a neutral lens in support of solving problems for a safer world.

7. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 10 years

A Case Study in Dysfunction

Aug 4, 2021 - Senior Multi-Discipline Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Same benefits as other Beltway Bandits, but don't have to work proposals on the weekends. Will never be fired. Can hang out on projects, never providing more than keeping a chair warm, and still be considered "a high achiever" -- so long as you're in the right clique. Receive major rewards for things like setting up a Slack channel to reserve desk spaces, and babysitting said desks for 4-hour stints to make sure only the assigned person sits in it. Project Leads will continually remind sponsors that you are the "expert" in this subject as you wrote a paper that was published in an obscure GIS journal 35 years ago. Your management doesn't care if you developed any real skills over the last year, or ever. Want to get a Ph.D. (or even several)? MITRE will pay for it. Just don't ask for funding to attend a Professional conference or critical training. If you are a senior manager, you will only be measured by your ability to deliver bodies to a contract and maintaining your own billability. Don't worry, you will NOT be expected to develop your own technical, leadership, or business skills -- let alone develop others. Moreover, you can stay in the position as long as you want so there is no need to carry out succession planning or even give lip service to Corporate goals. Don't want to manage people anymore? That's fine, you can take on an Individual Contributor role in a project with the same salary and no additional duties.

Cons

Your skills will atrophy. When your peers are getting 20% more at other organizations, you will be stuck at MITRE with 2% raises while your peers have better leadership/mentoring/career opportunities. If you report sexual harassment (including observing other staff being harassed), you will be told -- by women in management -- that it isn't as bad as you are making it out to be. The same goes for when Group/Project Leads write up low-performing employees, bullies, and even those that have committed major security infractions and contract fraud. It all gets quietly swept under the rug. MITRE manages "difficult people" and the whistleblowers that call them out through "death by faint praise" and gaslighting.

34 people found this review helpful
  8. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

We have to get our act together

Aug 18, 2021 - Cyber Security Engineer in New Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Benefits, Retirement, Time off, Interesting work

Cons

I am sponsor-facing and have been trying to get sponsors to adopt some of our recent work. It’s increasingly difficult when we look like we do not communicate internally and have no long term plan. Example: Last year Mitre published a cyber defense framework called Shield. While it was far from perfect, it aligned with ATT&CK and made sense to sponsors. Then a few months ago, we released D3fend, yet another cyber defense framework, but very theoretical and unapproachable for most sponsors. Now, just weeks ago, yet another cyber defense framework which is geared towards an engaging with cyber adversaries and again a non-starter for most of our sponsors. I hate to even discuss these anymore because I can’t explain the differences and why we released 3 similar things in less than a year! We look clueless! This is just one example of many that show a lack of coordination and communication!

15 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Flexibility, but limited opportunities to advance

Aug 24, 2021 - Project Leader
    Business Outlook

Pros

Flexibility, PTO, retirement investing, autonomy, sponsor facing

Cons

Organizational structure, responsibility lacking authority, limited opportunities for advancement, classified infrastructure still required, focus on human resources initiatives vice warfighting advances

7 people found this review helpful
  10. 5.0
    Current Intern, less than 1 year

Overview

Aug 16, 2021 - Machine Learning Intern in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

It was a really good learning experience and worked on a really interesting project. The campus is very inviting and is really nice

Cons

Government FDIC. The company is also sponsor project-based. The structure of the internship was very individual

Be the first to find this review helpful
  11. 5.0

Working at MITRE

Aug 3, 2021 - Senior Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work-life balance and flexible work hours; tuition reimbursement; meaningful and impactful sponsor work; public interest at the forefront of our work

Cons

There is a changing culture, which can be seen as negative or positive; process for performance reviews changes almost yearly and is starting to seem arbitrary and based on your network and how you are perceived to perform; matrix organization means the person you are reporting to typically is not the one you are working for on a day-to-day basis

Be the first to find this review helpful