KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MITRE

Engaged Employer

MITRE

Add a Review

MITRE Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Jan 16, 2021

Found 35 of over 1,442 reviews

3.9
MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes
Pros
  • "Good benefits and nice work-life balance(in 372 reviews)

• "Great benefits and pay for a Florida-based job(in 80 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Company is losing its value proposition to sponsors(in 70 reviews)

• "Upper management has lost touch with Operations personnel(in 35 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

What people are saying about MITRE

Join the conversation on

Data & Analytics Consultants

16d

works at

Booz Allen Hamilton

Looking at jumping to other firms, but trying to navigate the positions they use for data and analytics leaders in consulting. I’m trying to move up overall, but can’t seem to find position alignment that sticks out; less director titles, and more principal engineer titles. Maybe it’s not knowing what I don’t know in progression at other firms in data. Any advice is helpful. Have looked at GT, MITRE, Deloitte, and others. TIA

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MITRE and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

Great overall environment

Dec 30, 2019 - Site Administrator in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunities to learn new things. Lots of trust in abilities from immediate supervisors. Great retirement match.

Cons

Upper management was not quite as supportive and ensured administrators knew their place.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    2. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company is great

Dec 11, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Very knowledgeable individuals who are highly motivated and experts in their field.

Cons

Upper management can tend be a bit hard to reach out to and there is a lot of "high school" drama where there's a hierarchy and there a small handful of people is high positions who are essentially the ring leaders for this

6 people found this review helpful
    3. 3.0
      Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great “Stepping Stone” Job

Jan 16, 2021 - Cyber Security Engineer in Bedford, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance Training Mentoring Interesting work if you’re in the right department

Cons

Some work can be unsatisfying Upper management can get in the way

2 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

A great place going through a rough time

Jan 30, 2019 - Group Lead in Bedford, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits. Nice people. The best work/life balance of anywhere I've worked. This is the only place where I was encouraged to truly work only 40 hours a week. There were also many opportunities for career growth. I was encouraged to stretch myself and learn new things constantly. The amount of training and classes offered by the company is amazing. It is a really great place.

Cons

The current CEO and COO have created a completely different culture in the company that is not for the better. When I left, a sense of unease and fear was beginning to run rampant. I worked in the Corporate Shared Services organization and I think this org was hit especially hard by the new CEO's desires. The communication of layoffs in this organization in 2018 were handled abominably and this is in comparison to layoffs I've been through at other companies that were handled poorly. I believe these cons can be fixed with different upper management and I honestly hope they are and that I can return to the Mitre that I started at years ago.

35 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Team

Thank you for sharing your perspective. We are very proud to offer a wide range of benefits to support our employees’ growth, including world-class training and development opportunities focused on maximizing our potential. Our work/life flexibility is an important part of who we are as a company and is recognized by our employees regularly in surveys and other forums. We feel strongly about preserving our culture of excellence, integrity and inclusivity, while continually working to enable even greater levels of impact and innovation to serve the public interest. Like many MITRE employees, our leaders are driven by our commitment and passion for our mission. Our talented workforce includes both long-tenured employees as well as many new MITRE employees who offer diverse perspectives and experiences. We are confident that, together, we can continue to meet the needs of our sponsors and grow our impact to address our nation’s most critical challenges.

5. 3.0
      Former Employee

Oct 7, 2020 - Finance
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits all around and nice facilities

Cons

Corporate organizations have low pay compared to industry and upper management used to value its people and respected their work life balance, but that deteriorated overtime with new management.

5 people found this review helpful
    6. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Increasingly top heavy, at detriment to "regular" employees

Jun 25, 2019 - Principal Engineer in Bedford, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work is high impact and interesting. Many great people

Cons

Increasing management overhead is taking away from employees. Department management budgets are also decreasing - no charge codes being provided for all hands meetings, less money for training for staff, the number of staff under first-line managers continues to increase while the amount of time they are given to manage stays the same. Employees are left to scrounge for things that are provided routinely at other companies, like a second monitor. Meanwhile more and more VP positions continue to be added, and more upper management is made bonus-eligible. I feel less connected to upper management than I did when I was an entry-level employee, and have heard similar complaints from others.

48 people found this review helpful
    7. 2.0
      Current Employee, more than 10 years

Career Sandtrap

Jan 4, 2020 - Senior MultiDisciplinary Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Free parking, good retirement match, tuition reimbursement, well integrated internal portal.

Cons

Don't be fooled by the latest rebranding and egalitarian attitude, MITRE is still a staff augmentation company like any contractor in the Beltway. You will be assigned to a location at a customer site just like your manager and their boss. Everyone is billable. Everyone. If you are a project leader you will discover how little is left after management takes their percentage. You are then expected to find cheaper (lower end) staff to backfill your project to carry out actual work. Do not expect any level of support from the management, security, facilities, or anyone else that charges your project for their tax to your project. They are there to ensure the rules are followed, not to advocate for you or smooth your day-to-day operations. You will meet people with two and three Master's degrees and even multiple PhDs -- all paid for by MITRE. However, if you ask for training outside graduate school, "soft skills" development, or attend a conference, you will be told that there is no budget for that or you can "take X time" that has to be worked with extra hours over the next 6 months to cover your lost billable time. You are on your own to navigate career-development and advocates. Your management is busy ensuring the lowest performers are billable and looking for their next big project. Do not look for assistance when you have issues with staff from your management or HR, neither are interested in accountability or ethics violations (and there are many). They will work VERY hard to cover up bad behavior that has existed for years but they have ignored; whether it's poor conduct, questionable time reporting, outright contract violations, or security infractions. If you call it out, your career will be negatively impacted and you will be advised by senior managers to "transfer to a different part of the company." MITRE does not deal with toxic staff, whether they are support staff or upper management. They simply transfer them to a different part of the company and let someone else discover the issues. The most disconcerting part of working for MITRE is the low bar for delivery and the morass that is "technical review." Whether you're a cyber professional, behavioral scientist, or program manager, your skills will drop precipitously here because of the lack of training, accountability, and poor attention to delivery. You will be pulled down into the mire like everyone else and two years from now realize that you can't leave because you are no longer competitive for a job outside MITRE.

27 people found this review helpful
    8. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 5 years

Lots of projects to learn from, too many layers of management, lack of impactful work

Feb 9, 2019 - Lead Engineer in Bedford, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Lot of nice people. Flexibility to work on multiple projects allows employees to pick up skill sets. You can have a lot of fun and learn a lot depending on the project you're working on. Also depends on the people you're working with on your project. Lots of training opportunities. Management seems to be okay with spending money to getting people certified or furthering their education. Good work-life balance. If you're young, your salary increases will be nice but your industry value will most likely diminish outside of the government space. I encourage people to try interviewing at other places just to get a feel for expectations outside of the MITRE world.

Cons

Most of the work you do amounts to a powerpoint presentation and/or a demo and no actual operational impact even if its considered impactful work by upper management. It's unfortunate that for a large number of projects out there, its more important for you to charge your hours than it is to actual contribute meaningful work. Instead of getting fired for not doing your work, you get kicked off the project once they find someone that can fill in your hours, and the cycle continues. Sometimes you're left charging hours on the project until the end of the year. Every few years, MITRE completely changes their "specialty" and then expects everyone to become an expert in that field. This includes spending the effort and energy just to change department names and project names. Security/cyber seems to be the current theme. Some of the people at MITRE are true masters of verbal facade to make things sound really good to the customer. Some people unfortunately just copy and paste materials from vendors and pre-existing documents to claim the work as their own. Management is not very in sync with employees. Your department head probably has very little insight into what you do. If you're lucky your group leader is in sync with your work but has little control over your salary increases.

56 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Team

Thank you for taking the time to share your perspective on multiple topics. We, too, appreciate MITRE’s investment in the career development of our employees, and the emphasis on work/life flexibility. We are proud of the work we do, which continues to have significant impact on the security and wellbeing of our nation, and we are proud of our workforce, which operates with the highest standards of integrity.

9. 3.0
      Current Employee

Good, not great

Apr 1, 2020 - Security in Bedford, MA
      Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, freedom to make decisions, middle management

Cons

Upper management has lost touch with Operations personnel. H.R. falls back on “canned" responses

5 people found this review helpful

Employee Experience Team

We appreciate your feedback. We provide opportunities to hear from our team through our regular Pulse surveys, lunch discussions and virtual coffee with our CEO, staff focus groups, all-employee meetings, and other forums. We hope that you’ll take advantage of these opportunities, and we encourage you, or anyone with a specific concern, to talk to your manager or your HR Business Partner.

10. 4.0
      Former Employee

Good benefits

May 7, 2019 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits and retirement, smart people

Cons

Lots of turnover in upper management

1 person found this review helpful