Cover image for MITRE
Logo

Engaged Employer

Add a Review

MITRE Employee Reviews about "upper management"

Updated Nov 2, 2021

Found 55 of over 2K reviews

3.9
MITRE President & CEO Jason Providakes
Jason Providakes

What people are saying about MITRE

Join the conversation on

Salary Negotiations

3m

works at

MITRE

Question for MITRE employees: if you already work at MITRE, then apply to a different job vacancy (within MITRE but in a different department and where the position is externally advertised), and then get the position… how do you handle the salary negotiation? ………….. Let’s say the new department offers you 180k… I know you’re always allowed to ask for more, but do you negotiate for more or no because you’re already a MITRE staffer? If you do, how much more would you ask for above 180k?

1 Comment

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
Cons
  • "There seems to be a divide between management and technical staff (with the exception of Ph.Ds concentrating on research).(in 74 reviews)
  • "workers are not technical (without engineering degree training) and many managers' resume (their resumes are online) include graduate degrees that are useless for technical work.(in 54 reviews)
  • "Senior leadership quietly watching the CEO deteriorate the quality and integrity of the company in fear of their jobs.(in 47 reviews)
  • "Salaries are low but competitive by non(in 40 reviews)
  • "Upper management is a bit bloated and out of touch; technical company that hasn't figured out how to establish a clear technical track.(in 31 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Ratings by Demographics

This rating reflects the overall rating of MITRE and is not affected by filters.

Want more demographic options?

Reviews about "upper management"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Amazing workplace

Aug 28, 2021 - Lead Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Interesting and meaningful projects, great benefits, authentic coworkers. Support for education and risk taking.

Cons

Some bureaucracy. Lower level employees sometimes disconnected from upper management.

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 2.0
    Current Employee, more than 5 years

Good work/life balance but terrible pay and no growth opportunities

Nov 2, 2021 - Financial Analyst in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance Some of the health benefits

Cons

You aren’t paid well if you aren’t technical Top heavy Mid-Management doesn’t listen to employees Lack of diversity in upper management

9 people found this review helpful
  3. Join the MITRE team
    See Our Latest Jobs
  4. 1.0
    Current Employee

Was a good company, headed down fast

Sep 24, 2021 - IT Systems Security Engineer in Fairfax, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great work life balance. Good sponsors and great people at lower levels and that work close to customers.

Cons

Current CEO and upper management are leftist activists and have turned this formerly neutral company overtly partisan. They are slowly abandoning DoD and intel work which was the foundation of the company in favor of political civilian agencies (like HHS) and NGO groups . Management use CRT and covid/Vax rules to segregate staff, lots of tension between employees and with management now.

30 people found this review helpful

MITRE Response

Employee Relations Representative

At MITRE, we are proud of our 60-year legacy as a proven, public-interest organization across an increasing array of fields and domains. From our early roots working with the DOD – we are expanding our national and global impact as we partner across government, industry, and academia in the fields of health, cyber, justice, veterans affairs, social innovation, government modernization, and security and intelligence. Our value rests in our role as an independent and objective advisor, that serves our citizens and nation through a non-partisan, evidence-based approach that does not advocate for any specific position. We encourage and strive for diversity of thought and discourse across our organization, but we are apolitical in the solutions that we develop and deliver and always through a neutral lens in support of solving problems for a safer world.

5. 4.0
    Current Employee

Good pay; amazing benefits; great people; great work-life balance

May 28, 2021 - Business Systems Engineer in McLean, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

-No always be billing (ABB) attitude as a non-profit -Intelligent, considerate people -Should still make 6 digits as an early-career consultant/engineer -Amazing job security -High retirement match (7.5% min, 10% max) -Good insurance, high-deductible HSA option (MITRE contributes $650+ per year) -Great educational benefits and loan assistance ($1800 a year for 3 years) -Great cafeteria and gym at good prices (for NOVA)

Cons

-Don't pay middle to upper management quite as much as for-profits

1 person found this review helpful
  6. 4.0
    Current Employee

Less of a family than it used to be, still more than most jobs

Apr 7, 2021 - Senior Financial Advisor - Financial Planning in Herndon, VA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/Life balance Waking up in the morning feeling like you're making the world a better place

Cons

Upper management has failed to effectively communicate its vision Emphasis on process over people has made the company feel colder to work for

4 people found this review helpful
  7. 2.0
    Former Employee

Not A Good Place for Women to Work

Mar 20, 2021 - Business Analyst
    Business Outlook

Pros

Ability to work on a variety of projects. Work-life balance can be fairly decent.

Cons

Sexism and ageism is rampant, particularly in upper management. Favoritism is evident in management positions, particularly when favored employees are called out and not reprimanded in the slightest. Hypocritical management styles. If you stand up for yourself, you're downgraded. Management still acts as though this is the 1950s. MITRE will not survive if they do not start being innovative, and not just innovative in name only.

31 people found this review helpful
  8. 3.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Great “Stepping Stone” Job

Jan 16, 2021 - Cyber Security Engineer in Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work/life balance Training Mentoring Interesting work if you’re in the right department

Cons

Some work can be unsatisfying Upper management can get in the way

2 people found this review helpful
  9. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Company is great

Dec 11, 2020 - Senior Engineer in Los Angeles, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Very knowledgeable individuals who are highly motivated and experts in their field.

Cons

Upper management can tend be a bit hard to reach out to and there is a lot of "high school" drama where there's a hierarchy and there a small handful of people is high positions who are essentially the ring leaders for this

6 people found this review helpful
  10. 3.0
    Former Employee

Oct 7, 2020 - Finance
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good benefits all around and nice facilities

Cons

Corporate organizations have low pay compared to industry and upper management used to value its people and respected their work life balance, but that deteriorated overtime with new management.

5 people found this review helpful
  11. 3.0

Good, not great

Apr 1, 2020 - Security in Bedford, MA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Work life balance, freedom to make decisions, middle management

Cons

Upper management has lost touch with Operations personnel. H.R. falls back on “canned" responses

5 people found this review helpful

MITRE Response

Employee Experience Team

We appreciate your feedback. We provide opportunities to hear from our team through our regular Pulse surveys, lunch discussions and virtual coffee with our CEO, staff focus groups, all-employee meetings, and other forums. We hope that you’ll take advantage of these opportunities, and we encourage you, or anyone with a specific concern, to talk to your manager or your HR Business Partner.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 55 Reviews