MJE Marketing Services LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated October 2, 2018

2.3
Marlee Ehrenfeld

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Nice People and a fast paced work environment"

Current Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Current Intern - Anonymous Intern

I have been working at MJE Marketing Services LLC as an intern

Pros

I started working at MJE after their merger with MIG and I can honesty say it has been a great experience. The owner Marlee is a really nice and creative woman and you can tell she respects her employees despite what I’ve seen from other Glassdoor reviewers. The project managers are both knowledgeable and organized and I the team beneath them are pleasant people.

Cons

I honestly can’t say there any cons besides maybe the fact that there are so many clients and projects to handle at one time. At the same time, this is also a pro because the day flies by when I’m staying busy.

Advice to Management

Present cool creative projects to the entire office to promote a deeper connection and understanding of the projects that others have been working on.

"There may be worse places to work...but I can't imagine there are many."

I worked at MJE Marketing Services LLC full-time

Pros

The offices were very nicely decorated. Coworkers were pleasant.

Cons

The owner was a horrible person to work for. She would regularly berate her employees, lose her temper, and in general create the textbook definition of a hostile work environment.

Advice to Management

Minimize the day-to-day role of the founder.

"Misery incarnate"

I worked at MJE Marketing Services LLC full-time

Pros

A lot of interesting and dynamic clients, exposure to many disciplines

Cons

So many.... the person who runs the show uses fear-based management tactics and is a master gas-lighter. She manipulates and lies constantly. She is critical, mean-spirited and aware of her clout which she used to subjugate everyone. The whole team is always under stress, in fear and unhappy. When I worked there I that it was just me she under-highhandedly bullied but it turned out everyone on the team felt the same. This is place is toxic. Avoid it like the plague. Its not worth the personal meltdowns you will have on the weekends, knowing your weekend will come to an end and you have to face all of that toxicity on Monday!

Advice to Management

Reflect on how you treat people. Your team might not speak up, but trust that everyone notices. Fear-based management is never the way to go!

"The cons outweigh the pros."

I worked at MJE Marketing Services LLC full-time

Pros

The clients and industries this small marketing and public affairs agency works with are interesting, and many are part of the core of San Diego.

The work that is generated by the agency is typically high-quality. Led by the namesake founder/owner, the agency provides insightful solutions and marketing campaigns.

As a smaller agency, there is opportunity to be involved in many different aspects of marketing and public affairs work.

Cons

If you have often wished you could work in a totalitarian dictatorship, then this is the company for you. It is all about the namesake founder/owner here, and she is not a benevolent leader.

To say she is difficult to work for is an understatement. When she is not happy, then nobody is happy. She is not often happy, so the atmosphere is charged to say the least. Most of the time, the team walks around with their heads down, like trauma victims.

She will often tell a team member that "everyone else" is talking about them in a negative way, and that she is only sharing it in the name of team harmony. (This always turns out to not be true when checked out with the rest of the team.)

Even her occasional team-positive gestures, such as giving the team a week off at Christmas, are then brought up constantly in meetings where she tells the team they are not thankful enough, and then threatens to take away the benefit.

As a small agency, all work must be reviewed and signed off by her. This is understandable, given the boutique nature of the business, and clients absolutely want her top-notch input and oversight. However, given her poor time management, this creates a constant bottleneck. Much time is spent managing client expectations in the face of delays.

Managing her leadership style, while at the same time trying to satisfy client demands all while meeting the already tight timelines of an advertising/marketing agency is difficult at best, and impossible at worst. There are countless more personal quirks and red flags that could be discussed, but suffice it to say, this is not a happy or healthy place to work.

Although the work itself is very interesting, and the reputation of the work is deservedly high, all of the drama and stress make this an employer to avoid.