MKS Instruments Reviews | Glassdoor

Gerald G. Colella

"Credible Stability"

Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Methuen, MA
    Former Employee - Principal Engineer in Methuen, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None to be offered! Except The CEO tends to listen, unfortunately he continues to be blindsided by others.

Cons

Very backstabbing and fallacious working environment. Same group that's been there for 2o years still run show while everyone else get's layed off.

Advice to Management

Be more honest and listen to criticism from the new kid on the block with diverse and multi-company environment experience and insights. The old guard that's sill running things in the methuen office is the reason why you continue to struggle...

"CTO, Director, VP, R&D"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Innovative, great people, focused, driven

Cons

Political, P&L center self funded, must meet strict CI

Advice to Management

Keep your best people and don't promote friends of upper management

"Consistent lack of proper support for QA"

Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Software Quality Assurance Engineer in Austin, TX

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Was employed full time for 2 years as the only Software QA Engineer on staff. Was hired as a Senior level QA Enginer to independently lead up and manage the software QA test process for the software coming out of the Austin, TX office.

Initially reported to a Director. The position was later absorbed into the SW DEV team.

The job was initially enjoyable as I got up to speed on the software product line, initiated a new company QA process to be incorporated as a company standard, and implemented a test automation framework.

Great continuous interaction and cooperation with the Product Management and Operations extended teams.

Cons

1. The job became undesirable after it was evident that the SW DEV team would not follow any type of a QA process. Ultimately, this was a mismanagement issue that started out bad and became worse.

2. Many software bugs found by QA and entered into the bug tracking system were usually either flat out ignored, or else refuted as non-bugs, by the SW DEV management.

3. QA requests for developers to explain their new software features were many times flat out denied, as if QA didn't need to know how the software was supposed to work. The requests often left DEV hostile and full of attitude, that I had to tolerate. Escalated the lack of cooperation issue to SW DEV management, who completely ignored the escalation attempt. Was obviously not a priority to management, did nothing.

4. QA requests for developers to modify code so that it be compatible with an industry standard test tool was flat out denied. The request left DEV hostile and full of attitude, that I had to tolerate. Escalated the lack of cooperation issue to SW DEV management, who completely ignored the escalation attempt. Was obviously not a priority, did nothing.

5. SW DEV management refused to support an industry standard and company sanctioned QA process, that I was asked to author and implement in a previous year. My complaints to SW DEV management about the refusal to follow the process went completely ignored, and instead, management offered to "change" the QA process to suit the non-compliance.

6. All of these factors directly impacted and compromised overall QA quality.

Rather than accept a consistently compromised QA process, I chose to resign.

A side note that deserves mention:

7. During mt 2-year tenure, corporate IT staff was continuously unprofessional and had a history of going "rogue" with personalized temper tantrum emails and other online communication that was targeted at various employees on my team, to include me personally, for failing to follow undocumented and nonexistent IT procedure that they conjured up on their own, during the course of performing software development and QA tasks for the business. This continuous unprofessionalsim was caused by poor mismanagement of these corporate IT staffers, not related to the management at the Austin office.

Advice to Management

1. Bring the QA staff out of the SW DEV team, so that it reports to external management. QA cannot function properly if part of DEV, its a conflict of interest and will not work.

2. SW DEV management needs to follow the already-established QA process, and not try to change the process to suit them.

3. Corporate IT staff needs micromanagement and regular monitoring by HR to resolve repeated unprofessional behavior.

"Engineer"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time

Pros

Working with technology with a lot of potential.

Cons

Like many others have reported, good old boy's club exists in management. No opportunities for advancement within the company or raises to speak of. Highly bureaucratic organization.

Advice to Management

Start caring more about your employees and provide better raises. Stop treating your employees as Disposable Commodities.

6. "Good Experience"

Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Andover, MA
    Former Employee - Engineering Intern in Andover, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments (Less than a year)

Pros

Experienced professionals, Flexible hours, Learnt alot

Cons

I was so busy throughout my experience that I didn't feel any cons

7. "Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Andover, MA

I have been working at MKS Instruments full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Have been working for MKS for many years. Found it very easy to move to new/better positions, which gives you a more informed idea of what the company does. Pay does keep up/or slow down with the times. Great benefits and I have a very flexible work schedule. I am NOT management, but feel very useful, important to the company, and appreciated. I do understand some of the comments regarding management, but I feel that it is mainly those who were hired from outside. Having been here for many years, I've seen many of the executives climb the ladder from the trenches! They deserve their positions.....some others don't....

Cons

Some bad choices are made when it comes to who gets laid off during cyclical downturns.

Advice to Management

Keep those employees who have given you their all for a long time. Don't toss them out with indignity to hire young expensive blood.

8. "Inter"

Pros

Friendly environment, everyone is whiling to help you at any time.

Cons

As a inter, it was pretty boring. Most of the time i was testing products.

9. "Stable company; limited advancement opportunities"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments (More than 10 years)

Pros

Stable company; good salary & benefits; very smart coworkers.

Cons

Limited advancement opportunities; highly political.

"Bad management"

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time

Pros

Most of the peers were good to work with, pay was OK. Technology seem to be still good with competition catching up quickly.

Cons

Management does not know nor care about properly managing professionals. Egos that fill out the room and suck all the oxygen out.
    I have not met many happy people working for this company.
    CEO have little in a way of vision for the company, and whatever the plan is, the execution is poor with new products that do not sell.

Advice to Management

Need to listen to employees, provide recognition and treat them fairly...

"Interesting Job, it was OK although not as gratifying as other jobs."

Former Employee - Assembler in Lawrence, MA
    Former Employee - Assembler in Lawrence, MA

I worked at MKS Instruments full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Steady work hours. Routine work, once you get familiar with the various types of jobs that you are expected to do.

Cons

Working at the pace of others. Not getting permanent until a whole year has gone by. Not being able to access the learning program they offer until you have become a regular - "Permanent".