MLB Advanced Media Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.2
Bob Bowman

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Iconic Brand, Strong Historial Brand History with cutting edge technology (in 6 reviews)

• This was a fast-paced environment where I learned a lot of my media and marketing knowledge on the "go" (in 10 reviews)

Cons
  • No free gear or tickets for part time workers (in 21 reviews)

• Hard to obtain full-time employment (in 20 reviews)

1. "Great company to work for"

Pros

Perks and culture. Forward thinking company. Your input matter.

Cons

Ability to move up within the some business units seems bleak.

"working here for over 3 years"

I have been working at MLB Advanced Media full-time

Pros

ballpark pass. That's about it..

Cons

recently, there have been some major changes within the organization which have dramatically lowered employee morale

Advice to Management

MORE COMMUNICATION ! instead of telling your employees things last minute..

3. "Major League Baseball, Advanced Media"

Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Front End Engineer in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MLB Advanced Media full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

An established company with generous benefits

Cons

In the midst of a major company reorganization

Advice to Management

More communication!

"Weird mix of awesome and insulting (welcome to corporate America, I guess)"

I have been working at MLB Advanced Media part-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

--you're working in Baseball, people
    --working with cutting edge technology
    --opportunities for growth and travel
    --direct managers have your back--I got great support, guidance, and feedback.
    --if you like agile software projects, this might be your place. While communication and coordination are mixed, it's not everywhere that dev and ops actually get together to report and resolve system issues in real time. That's pretty cool, and I salute the folks who set things up to work that way.
    --strong team focus. I worked with several different strong teams that worked well together and helped each other get better all the time. Within our area, this tone was set at the top by our direct supervisors, who demonstrated time and time again they they had our backs, which encouraged the same support within.

Cons

--holy cow, it's a big, dysfunctional organization that seems to be waaay behind the times on administrative systems (until last year, we submitted pay confirmations individually via an email, and pay was routinely wrong requiring followups). They do seem to be working on building out this infrastructure. But kind of amazing for such an advanced tech company.
    --I would have preferred more direct feedback on my performance, but that's just me. This is high volume technology work, often without direct supervision. That has its own pros and cons. I got lots of positive encouragement and support; just not specific feedback about tasks.
    --The mass use of part-time/seasonal work means that for most people, this will be a dead end (albeit a fun one). But there's a high expectation for commitment, and a significant demand for flexibility that isn't met by the same from upper management. (to be clear: direct supervisors have consistently been flexible to work with me over 10+ years)
    --Pay went up 1 time in 10+ years; I was hired at a $75/150 rate (depending on if the game used the broadcast product) and this was increased in 2016 to $175 per shift.
    --This last point is almost unbelievable, but it's true. This year (2017), they switched our pay from "per game" to hourly. They announced hourly rates ($25 for most) that were absurdly low compared to the per-game rate from previous years, paired with a commitment to study the issue and "fix" the rates to be fair ASAP. (common shift in 2016 was arrive 2 hours pre-game, 3 hour game length=5 hours @$175, that's $35 per hour; some positions had 1 hour or 3 hour pre-game arrival, so your effective hourly rate might vary a bit, and game length obviously plays a role as well, but why not just use the average game length league wide?) Across the three job types we had, this seems like a pretty clear $35 wage target, and what most folks got offered was $25. $25*5 = $125, which is well short of $175 for many shifts.

This change was announced, with no rates, in January. Then, in March, the $25/$27.50 rates were revealed. They swore up and down that we'd hear back, that they were doing some research, and that they knew this was frustrating and annoying--and low. They also said that the intent was to make sure that people made roughly the same as they did the previous year. Let's be clear--they basically baited us to a lower pay rate with the carrot that it could possibly be raised (while specifically not "promising" it) and then essentially switched to bullying everyone into accepting the new rates; the message was "if you don't like it, then go somewhere else." Then we never heard another thing about it for the entire season. Seriously, once the season started, we got a total of one email with an update, promising that this would be resolved soon. Then, radio silence with no additional follow up. I personally emailed our VP three additional times and got no responses between May and October (he said "any questions? send me an email" so I did). Now, it's mid-November, nearly 11 months after the change was announced, with no additional information. At this point, it's hard to believe that the whole thing was anything other than a sham, and they just wanted to lower pay expenses, and decided to do that under this bait and switch plan. It's possible of course, the change was motivated by the recent lawsuits against MLB for failing to pay minimum wage to clubhouse employees. Regardless of the reason, there's no excuse for the lack of communication, and it's hard to ignore that this (downward) change occurs the year after the only raise given in 10 years, and after Disney got a stake in MLBAM. In any case, what I learned this year is that upper management is willing to lie to the face of employees. This also made direct supervisors look bad, selling them out because they have to deal with front-line irritation about being lied to, and still try to motivate people to work hard through difficult and trying system rollouts. It's pretty disgusting, and I'm torn, because I really like my co-workers and supervisors and (aside from this situation) have been treated with respect, given opportunities to grow, and empowered to solve problems. YMMV.

Advice to Management

Stop lying about pay; it's borderline illegal, and definitely disrespectful and insulting, to cut pay, promise to "fix" it, and then do nothing about it. I can't imagine that VPs would accept this kind of disrespect from their bosses, so why impose it on others?

5. "Operator"

Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Operations in New York, NY

I worked at MLB Advanced Media full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company always pushing the envelope of technology.

Cons

Some higher level staff are not qualified to hold the positions they do.

6. "Associate Director"

Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Associate Director in New York, NY

I worked at MLB Advanced Media full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Diverse in terms of technology and the opportunities that affords a developer. There is a very high proportion of intelligent, efficient and passionate people. Definitely an opportunity for personal growth. Very strong benefits package.

Cons

Several restructurings over the last few years.

7. "Club Marketing Coordinator"

Pros

flexible, good relationship with managers and coworkers, ability to work from home when needed, good internal communcation

Cons

very difficult to obtain full time

8. "Sponsorship Intern"

Pros

Great place to learn about sponsorship process

Cons

Not very involved in business activities

"Replay Operations"

Former Employee - Part Time Replay Operations
    Former Employee - Part Time Replay Operations

I worked at MLB Advanced Media part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- There's a "Cool Factor" of being in the control room
    - They order food on some nights for the staff
    - Late night car service for when you work those late west coast games

Cons

- Witness sexual harassment, and supervisors didn't do anything about it
    - The manager has no background in production, broadcast or technology
    - Management will promote friends before people who deserved it ... the reason give for one promotion was "he's older and been here a long time"
    - Most full timers and part timers do the same thing but the pay, benefits, etc are different
    - Gets real political real fast with the umpires in the room
    - Bad hiring tendencies

Advice to Management

Value your staff more, and promote people who deserve it. Hire people with relevant experience and get better at training the staff. Hear out employee ideas.

10. "In-Game Social Media Coordinator"

Former Employee - Account Representative in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Account Representative in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MLB Advanced Media part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This job was awesome for the average MLB fan, great way to network and grow relationships with your co-workers

Cons

The only con is it being part-time, you have to find a job in the off-season.