MLive Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

MLive Media Group President Dan Gaydou
Dan Gaydou

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • "High pressure, sales people wear many hats" (in 8 reviews)

• "The teamwork talk in this company is a joke, unless your part of the upper management team" (in 7 reviews)

1. "This is a company you can build a career with!"

Current Employee - Sales in Flint, MI
    Current Employee - Sales in Flint, MI

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

There is a true passion to do the right things for our clients. This client first mentality makes it a great environment to work within. I have worked here for many years and it has been a great place to build my career. I have always recommended this company as a great place to work in Michigan. Benefits are excellent and work life balance is important to leadership. MLive invests in it's people and is best in class in offering leading technology to our clients. The company offers a lot of work day flexibility.

Cons

You need to be open to traveling within Michigan for meetings. Sometimes upper leadership is absent so you need to be able to be self motivated to get work done.

"This isn't complaining it's the truth"

Former Employee - Account Manager
    Former Employee - Account Manager

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The Health Benefits are fair, speaking for a single individual. The 401k is comparable to other organizations. You'll get a company cell phone and laptop but that also makes you completely accessible 24/7.

The two best things about MMG are:
    Your Colleagues (non managerial) I've never worked with such a great group of individuals who will help any way they can.
    Training - At least when I was there they were constantly training us on digital marketing and providing us with tools to understand the products we were selling. I felt confident and knowledgeable speaking to business owners and marketing leaders.

Some of the middle managers are fantastic. But several of the good ones have since left to find greener pastures.

Cons

-100% Upper Management (Director & above) - They haven't left MMG because they would not succeed outside of this cult like organization.
    -Work Life Balance ... does not exist. Yes, you may be able to get in a doc appointment here and there but once you establish a few accounts you will work weekends, while on vacation and holidays while managers are completely unresponsive.
    -Every person wears 2 or 3 hats. And the jobs are ever changing. Just because you were hired in as a "Account Manager" doesn't not mean in 90 days you'll still be doing what you got hired in for. If you're hired in for something other than an Account Executive come Q3 they'll do a "hub tour" and try and get everyone (even those non client facing) to go out and SELL SELL SELL.
    The organization was so lean to try and save money (to spend on upper management bonus's) that account managers have 20+ accounts while telling their customers they had around 10 to not seem like they were spread too thin.
    All of the impactful, helpful & knowledgeable employees have since left company. Which means there's a handful of role models left scattered throughout 10 office locations.
    Lastly, I laugh at the reviews that mention anything about "remote work" you're only allowed to work remotely after normal business hours and weekends. 8-5 Monday thru Friday, you will be questioned if you're not in the office. Don't let them sell that to you in your interview.
    The entire 3 years I was there, everyone had one foot out the door because either they were so terrified of being fired or because of absolute misery.

Advice to Management

Sad to hear about some of the recent lay offs of management that were actually trying to make a difference. Stop leading by fear and help your employees grow into the sales and account people you're looking for. Quit changing compensation packages halfway through the year making goals unachievable. Lastly, if you don't trust employees to do the right thing when you're not watching them, then why did you hire them in the first place? It's unbelievable the amount of talent that has walked in and out of those doors. I truly hope things do turn around and get better for my old colleagues who are still there. They deserve better.

3. "Account Executive"

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time

Pros

Great tactic training on digital products.

Cons

Inexperienced management. sales managers with no sales experience.

4. "High Pay"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay and good benefits

Cons

Not a clear path for the company

5. "Reporter"

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time

Pros

-Great place for starting journalists.
    -Learn different ways to use multimedia in reporting.
    -Good mix of reporters with plenty of experience and those starting out.
    -Overall friendly environment.
    -Decent technology provided.
    -Decent amount of paid time off.

Cons

-Hard to get a raise
    -Lots of moving around and restructuring

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible, phone and laptop provided.

Cons

Finding the right fit for management positions, lack of proper training for new hires, individuals promoted and employee development, company morale, work/life balance and lost sense of self and values.

Aug 14, 2018 – Talent Development & Communications Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts on areas that we need to improve. We strive to provide an environment that allows our employees to grow and learn while all working toward the... More

"Digital Marketing Specialist"

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time

Pros

Great group of people in the office. Extremely supportive staff. Good learning opportunities.

Cons

There are a lot of changes, but that is true for for any media company. Upward mobility a bit unknown.

Advice to Management

Top management consists of individuals who are kind and care about your concerns. I think management is doing a much better job in terms of transparency and communication. Improvement on: company culture and being a progressive company.

Aug 14, 2018 – Talent Development & Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your experience with MLive Media Group. We understand that changes can be disruptive and we will work to minimize those where we can in the future. We'll also work on bringing... More

8. "Support Staff"

Pros

Good benefits. Some flexibility in schedule. Good work and life balance.

Cons

Low pay, was promised a raise for over a year, two years ago. Still nothing. Poor communication.

Advice to Management

Direct supervisor is great but upper management shows no appreciation.

Aug 14, 2018 – Talent Development & Communications Coordinator

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback about your experience. Our goal is to provide a work environment where everyone feels valued. We’re sorry you haven’t felt that throughout the... More

"One person can't do the job of 10 people because you want to save money."

Current Employee - Account Executive
    Current Employee - Account Executive

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent Pay - when you make a commission as long as they don't change your goal at the last minute.

Flexible depending on your direct manager.

Cons

- We need more digital support staff. WE ARE SALESPEOPLE. When you have a car salesman, they sell the car, they take the paperwork and they hand it off to a management staff. When we sell a campaign, we prospected the client, go through the sales process, sell the campaign, and THEN we are responsible for all their creatives, all of their fulfillment on the backend, plus maintain the account, swap creatives, and make the client happy. It's too much for one person but they just keep firing out support staff and giving us more work for no extra pay.

- Restructures the company every single year. In the four years, I have been here the entire company has restructured itself every year. We are a digital company, new products and features are one thing. LAYOFFS AND RESTRUCTURING IS A MANAGEMENT PROBLEM.

- Doesn't invest in their employees. We are the #1 news site in Michigan, and we can tote our 'HALO EFFECT' all day long, but at the end of the day Cumulus, Hearst, Alpha Media and WNEM are sponsoring community events that matter and we aren't. Help us grow as professionals. I recently applied for a very prestigious leadership class in my town and was not given a position because I had to request a scholarship, because MLive refused to pay the tuition for me of only $1100 even though a manage a half a million dollars in revenue every year. I've also only recieved one raise on my salary in four years, I know that people on my team that handle less accounts than me are making more salary because they told me. And I have never been approached about a promotion.

Advice to Management

Your entire sales staff is overworked - underpaid- unhappy, and thinking about leaving the company. We feel unappreciated, undervalued, and stressed on a constant basis. Hire more fulfillment staff, incentivize us better, create a commission plan that actually pays us what we should be making. Because at the end of the day, if you can sell one thing you can sell anything. And there are a lot of places we can walk into right now and make an uncapped commission based on a percentage of everything we close.

Aug 14, 2018 – Talent Development & Communications Coordinator

Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us. We appreciate your feedback and we are sorry that your experience hasn't been a completely positive one.

We have recently taken steps to increase... More

"Not a sales person but a mouse on a wheel chasing a never ending pile..."

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

My coworkers are great. You have some flexibility for doctor appts and kids class trips depending on your manager.

Cons

Workload just keeps piling on a sales as upper management lightens their load and fires people who can help. No time to be a salesperson due to lack of proper help and fulfillment process issues. They keep adding more things that we have to do without help and then call it "freaky fast" but fast for who when it just leads us to more emails and questions from 3-5 different people since there is not 1 person working on it to help.

No opportunity for raises. Lots of turnover and layoffs.

If you feel something isn't right and you try to talk about it they consider it complaining and are not open to it being feedback. So do not have an opinion on anything.

Advice to Management

Let your salespeople sell then you will start making money and stop panicking about if you will make it as a business. Care about the "little people" who honestly do not matter in your world.

Better payment plans and incentives where we could actually get paid on what we sell now versus constantly climbing uphill to a goal that isn't always achievable.

Get a better model for salespeople to sell:
    In car sales the salesperson sells a car, the customer then goes to the finance manager to finalize, after that a tech person to get to know their car and then back to the salesperson to thank them and continue the relationship. They do this so their salespeople can SELL.

Aug 14, 2018 – Talent Development & Communications Coordinator

We appreciate your feedback. We are taking your comments to heart as we look for areas we can improve immediately and in the long term. We also understand the dangers of an environment where... More