MLive Media Group Reviews | Glassdoor

2.6
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MLive Media Group President Dan Gaydou
Dan Gaydou

Pros
  • MLive Media Group, from everything that's verbalized, comes off as, in their own words "badass" and "leading the industry with cutting edge solutions" (in 6 reviews)

• Digital marketing sales and account management is complex, complicated and constantly changing making this job challenging, yet extremely rewarding (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • The very few people in my Hub that have been here for a few years, seem un-phased by the high turnover (in 7 reviews)

• Good sales people do NOT always make good sales managers (in 7 reviews)

"Struggling to survive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Grand Rapids, MI

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

This used to a great place to work, full of good people in a sincere, family atmosphere. The company knows what it is facing in a tough and declining industry, and tries hard to meet the challenge, with some success.

Cons

Top heavy, especially in senior management, where the politics are down right vicious and dirty.

Advice to Management

Fire yourself. The working staff are all great people. It's the top 1% that's the problem.

"Account Executive"

Former Employee - Account Executive
    Former Employee - Account Executive

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great learning opportunities.

Cons

Management made too man quick decisions that were clearly not thought out.

Advice to Management

Listen to the people actually making the sales and not your middle managers who don't know what they are doing or yow to lead.

"Sales and Marketing"

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I have worked at Mlive Media Group for over 5 years and love my job. Digital marketing sales and account management is complex, complicated and constantly changing making this job challenging, yet extremely rewarding. Mlive offers cutting edge technology and a strong and solid foundation with it's affiliations with Advance Digital, Conde Nast and Reddit. The company is extremely competitive with it's products and it's constantly searching for new and innovative ways to grow. There are many talented people to work with that are always willing to assist when questions arise. Salary is competitive within the industry and benefits are also good. I work hard and put in extra hours when needed, but my job also offers the flexibility to take care of personal business free of repercussions.

Like most jobs, you get out what you put in. This is a great place to work and I would highly recommend to those that are hard-working and up for the challenge.

Cons

Although some people may think this job is a piece of cake, it's not a job for everyone. Due to the constantly changing environment we work in, employees are forced to maintain a high level of knowledge of complex subjects in order to be successful. It's challenging and requires time management skills, problem solving skills, creativity, diligence, dedication, assertiveness and many other qualities. Sales reps are required to cold call and most people don't want anything to do with this. As a result, many new hires don't work out which creates a lot of employee turnover.

In my opinion, new hire training is insufficient. New sales reps are pushed out the door in the first few days of hire with an expectation to sell with no product training. Not only do the reps suffer by the lack of training, but clients also get a poor experience of working with someone with no product knowledge. I have seen many new sales reps out trying to sell stuff they know nothing about, which is not an easy task. Fortunately, there are many good people willing to assist where needed, so don't be afraid to ask.

Sales goals are extremely aggressive and YOY growth goals are difficult to achieve, even for seasoned reps. There is opportunity to make a great living, but that requires extra effort and extra hours.

One of my previous managers gave me an article once titled “Pick Yourself” (Seth Godin); I think this article lends a lot of insight into our culture here at Mlive. If you’re accustomed to a tiered promotion system, this is not the place for you. Recognition in the way of promotion will not come easy unless you embrace this mantra; and for others, it will provide them an opportunity to succeed.

"Do Your Research"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Office flexibility if you're performing. Equipment (iPad, phone, Laptop) provided to you. Benefits, Matching 401k, and expense reports.

Cons

Over the 6 months, the cons have began to far outweigh the pros. They derive mostly in middle to upper management, where a few toxic leaders sit. I can't say every manager was bad, but a few were extremely out of touch with the actual day to day processes of the people they allegedly lead. Not every good salesperson makes a good manager (especially the ones who sell with questionable moral sales tactics), and at MLive the result of promoting those lead to an extremely toxic fear culture that's causing many to jump ship. Processes and ideas are changed and twisted so often it's difficult to follow the direction of the company. There's no clear career path. Commission structure isn't properly explained to incoming AE's and never fully makes sense. Even if it does make sense, you wait in anticipation to see if you'll even receive the compensation.

Advice to Management

If employees are consistently having issues with the same processes or managers, maybe it's time to make a change. As an organization it should be eye opening the amount of turnover this company has. I have seen several skilled employees leave after years of employment simply because they know things will not get better, their voices will not be heard, and their work will not be recognized.

If you read through the reviews, it's quite obvious which reviews are written by management.. the ones that don't match what ANYONE else is saying. Let's also take notice of the review written by a current manager in Grand Rapids (headquarters, mind you) where the word 'extremely' is spelled wrong. And this is who's supposed to be leading us??

"ABSOLUTE WORST JOB"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Detroit, MI

I worked at MLive Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Company laptop (however significantly outdated), and company phone. No iPad that others have suggested. Also you do have flexibility to make your own schedule, however be prepared to constantly be micromanaged and questioned about your whereabouts.

Cons

Hmm, where to start. First. In the interview process they'll talk about how much "training" you'll get to become a master with the products, direct quote from my manager and VP "I can train you on everything you need to know, I'm more worried about finding someone that is going to put in the effort." In reality, that's entirely untrue. The training provided is 2 days (half-days), and is more like an orientation than a training. After that, you're put into the field to go out and sell products that you've never learned. They say that everyone is there to help you and that you'll be set up to succeed, but in reality that is not the case. Direct quote from my manager when asking for help - "you should already know all these things, you shouldn't have to ask others for help."

Once you get through the first couple weeks, it is very much a "what have you done for me lately" type of mentality you get from management, who is so far removed from the day-to-day that they're only concerned with the amount of revenue you're bringing in. As a new employee, you start at 0 and within a few months you're expected to have the same amount of yearly revenue in your pipeline as a seasoned employee. They don't take into account the fact that every one of your accounts is net new and as a company, very little revenue comes from NEW accounts, it is primarily based on clients renewing. Some reps have their entire year number already in their pipeline based on clients renewing, and new reps are compared to them as if it were apples to apples. If you bring this up to your manager, you're told that you're wrong and the you don't know what you're talking about. DON'T CHALLENGE OR ASK QUESTIONS with your manager! They operate very much like a dictator in the sense that they're always right, you're always wrong. They want you to understand you're their subordinate and nothing is going change that.

The environment is toxic, most people don't enjoy working there, but they put up with it until they can find another job. Understand the type of environment you're walking in to is not how they paint it during the interview process.

Advice to Management

What "management?" You have a group of people that don't "manage" anyone. They're basically number-pushers. Take a long, hard, look in the mirror. Ask yourself why your turnover is so high? Ask yourself why when you give employee surveys, everyone's response was that they wouldn't recommend a friend to come work here.

"Great Place to Work"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI
    Current Employee - Account Executive in Kalamazoo, MI

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Industry leading technology from a marketing standpoint. I can only speak to the marketing and advertising side of things, but there are extremely smart people leveraging data in ways that are new to the industry, and creative some incredibly effective campaigns. The work-life balance is a plus, I rarely find myself working past business hours, and when I do, it's for my own betterment. This is a job where you get back what you put in - if you put in the effort and utilize the talented people around you, you'll be successful.

Cons

While the data-based technology at MLive is industry leading, the physical technology such as laptops and videoconferencing are outdated, and can sometimes slow down productivity.

Advice to Management

More face to face meetings with upper management on a one-on-one basis, so we can have more honest communication about our careers and sharing of ideas. Doing a better job of communicating job openings and opportunities to current employees would be ideal.

"Exciting and Rewarding Opportunity! Great Place to Be!"

Current Employee - Account Executive in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Inspirational and goal oriented leaders. They will always push you to become better at your job. Incredible compensation package, a company culture that creates an environment where employees enjoy being at work, and outstanding products/services that lead to the success for our customers. I absolutely love coming to work every day.
    You can make money based on effort and tenacity, be recognized for your hard work, but still be challenged on a daily basis. Also, you are around so many talented individuals, I find that it helps me to grow my skill set by adding new ideas and processes to what I do.

Cons

I can't think of any downsides. Like any sales role it is never an "easy" job or "easy" to be successful. In this position persistence and a strong desire to succeed is a must. We are going on 5 years old and have grown so much, makes it very exciting for what is to come.

Advice to Management

Keep learning, keep getting better and keep sharing your successes. It's always difficult to keep communication flowing well when we're growing this fast. We're making headway in improving our communication, but I'm pretty sure it's going to take constant attention. Give updates to our feedback. I'd just encourage our leaders to have faith in the fact that they've built an incredible team that is willing to go the extra mile and can be the eyes and ears when you cannot be involved. Keep working hard and progressing. Keep making it fun!

9. "Great place to pursue journalism"

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time

Pros

You are given a ton of freedom to cover what you want.

Cons

Hitting Metrics can sometimes feel intimidating and time consuming. Sometimes editors (management) is not there to help you develop ideas, etc.

Advice to Management

Be more helpful.

"Don't be fooled"

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time

Pros

Get a nice laptop, iPad, iPhone. Flexible schedule. Clueless managers. Easy for the pay check.

Cons

Wouldn't recommend to anyone. They talk the talk but can't actually walk it. They will give you all the time you need to talk about improvements, problems or things you need to be successful in your role, but every promise is a lie. If you want to be paid to do nothing this is the job for you. It is very easy to coast. It isn't about true success. It's about drinking the kool aid, listening to unqualified people give you direction and becoming a cog as much as they say they want to hire linchpins. Job positions change constantly without any consideration and is pitched to you like it is a good change. All in all the company is out for themselves. Leadership cares about themselves, not their employees or clients.

Advice to Management

Get a reality check and listen to your people.

"It is not easy, but it is extreamly rewarding"

Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI
    Current Employee - Manager in Grand Rapids, MI

I have been working at MLive Media Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I have been at MMG for a number of months now. It certainly has not been easy, but I did not expect that it would be. The work environment is open, extremely flexible, and comfortable. Almost everyone is engaged and helpful. What we are doing at MMG is not easy and certainly not for the faint of heart, but if you are willing to put the effort forward your will succeed. The main reason I have chosen to write this review is because I feel that most of the assessments on here regarding management have been extremely unfair. The marketing industry has been in a constant shift for well over a decade now. How many industries have you worked in where such a shift was occurring? If you are not changing frequently trying to keep pace with that shift you are falling behind. If you are falling behind then you are not succeeding and you will eventually go out of business. MMG is not only succeeding, but they are way ahead of their competition.

Cons

The continual evolution in the work environment is not for everyone. If you are up for the challenge it can be a very rewarding career.

Advice to Management

Keep pushing forward to stay ahead of the curve. It will not always be easy, if it were everyone would be doing it.