KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

MLive Media Group

Is this your company?

MLive Media Group

Add a Review

MLive Media Group Employee Reviews about "digital marketing"

Updated Dec 10, 2018

Found 9 of over 140 reviews

3.2
MLive Media Group President Dan Gaydou
Dan Gaydou
Pros
  • "Learned a lot over the summer about digital marketing(in 9 reviews)

• "IPhone, IPad, mileage reimbursement(in 9 reviews)

• Cons
  • "Seth Godin); I think this article lends a lot of insight into our culture here at Mlive(in 23 reviews)

• "Little training, unusual super high turnover(in 8 reviews)

• More Pros and Cons
    Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Choose a different language and keep reading other reviews.

Reviews about "digital marketing"

Return to all Reviews
    1. 5.0
      Current Employee, more than 3 years

MLive is the real deal

Jun 8, 2016 -  in Williamston, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

MLive Media Group has some of the smartest people in the digital marketing industry incorporating the best technology platforms available utilizing proven strategy to grow business. MLive is consistently growing year over year for a reason; because this company is dedicated to breaking the mold, creating change and leading the industry in innovation. This is evident in the success of its customers.

Cons

Media sales is not easy, which is why not everyone does it. It takes dedication and a lot of hard work to be successful. MLive is no different in this regard. However, MLive has amazing training and support for people who want to work hard and have a successful career in a growing industry.

9 people found this review helpful
    2. 2.0
      Former Employee, more than 3 years

This isn't complaining it's the truth

Dec 10, 2018 - Account Manager
      Business Outlook

Pros

The Health Benefits are fair, speaking for a single individual. The 401k is comparable to other organizations. You'll get a company cell phone and laptop but that also makes you completely accessible 24/7. The two best things about MMG are: Your Colleagues (non managerial) I've never worked with such a great group of individuals who will help any way they can. Training - At least when I was there they were constantly training us on digital marketing and providing us with tools to understand the products we were selling. I felt confident and knowledgeable speaking to business owners and marketing leaders. Some of the middle managers are fantastic. But several of the good ones have since left to find greener pastures.

Cons

-100% Upper Management (Director & above) - They haven't left MMG because they would not succeed outside of this cult like organization. -Work Life Balance ... does not exist. Yes, you may be able to get in a doc appointment here and there but once you establish a few accounts you will work weekends, while on vacation and holidays while managers are completely unresponsive. -Every person wears 2 or 3 hats. And the jobs are ever changing. Just because you were hired in as a "Account Manager" doesn't not mean in 90 days you'll still be doing what you got hired in for. If you're hired in for something other than an Account Executive come Q3 they'll do a "hub tour" and try and get everyone (even those non client facing) to go out and SELL SELL SELL. The organization was so lean to try and save money (to spend on upper management bonus's) that account managers have 20+ accounts while telling their customers they had around 10 to not seem like they were spread too thin. All of the impactful, helpful & knowledgeable employees have since left company. Which means there's a handful of role models left scattered throughout 10 office locations. Lastly, I laugh at the reviews that mention anything about "remote work" you're only allowed to work remotely after normal business hours and weekends. 8-5 Monday thru Friday, you will be questioned if you're not in the office. Don't let them sell that to you in your interview. The entire 3 years I was there, everyone had one foot out the door because either they were so terrified of being fired or because of absolute misery.

5 people found this review helpful
    3. 1.0
      Former Employee

Manager

Jul 2, 2015 - Manager in Ann Arbor, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

The company provides great technology, iphone, ipad, laptop. You get to develop good skills in digital marketing.

Cons

Leadership growth is based on popularity. Leaders seem to look down at rank and file and often won't even talk to you even if you're sitting at the same table. Sales rules are constantly changing, so if you are doing well don't be surprised if your goals change or your job changes and you have to start from scratch. Company leaders will tell you if you can't handle change, you're not right for the company. What they fail to recognize is that change comes for change sake and employee input is never taken into consideration when someone is "forced" into a job change. There is very little trust between management and staff. What trust existed in 2014 evaporated in 2015 when the company "re-organized." It has led to extensive turnover. Base salary for incoming sales team members is abysmal. That base also will not change unless you are promoted. Success at sales will just lead to higher goals until those goals are no longer achievable. Sales people are micro managed and it can feel like you have 2 - 4 bosses who all provide different directives. The culture at the company is fake. Turnover among staff is so great that customers get concerned and will cancel services. Mlive talks a big game but when it comes time to play, they fail every time.

12 people found this review helpful
    4. 3.0
      Former Employee, less than 1 year

Misrepresentation of job duties, expectations, and responsibilities.

Apr 6, 2016 - Marketing Executive in Jackson, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

I learned a massive amount about both print and digital marketing- though not to the extent promised when I was hired. Made a lot of fantastic professional connections. Really felt like I had potential to be successful in my position- if it would have stayed consistent and if I had received proper credit for sales.

Cons

Unclear management expectations from sales goals, to territory, to even the actual products that you are hired to sell. When goals are set, they are often unattainable when compared to the price of the products you are selling. A quick loss of faith that you will be trained and encouraged to reach your full potential- despite your best personal efforts or aptitude.

7 people found this review helpful
    5. 4.0
      Current Employee

Rough launch, seems to be settling down now

Apr 7, 2014 - Senior Sales Consultant in Detroit, MI
      Business Outlook

Pros

MLive's digital advertising is based on Advance -- which is a highly respected digital marketing company for a good reason. They do seem to sincerely want what's best for the client overall and the editorial staff also are professional and committed to putting out a quality product.

Cons

High turnover for sales managers causes a lot of wasted effort and energy. Good sales people do NOT always make good sales managers. Still, it's a good company that seems to be recovering from a lot of churn-and-burn at the launch of MLive Media Group (had been Booth newspapers).

Be the first to find this review helpful
    6. 4.0
      Current Employee, more than 5 years

Sales and Marketing

Jan 24, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
      Business Outlook

Pros

I have worked at Mlive Media Group for over 5 years and love my job. Digital marketing sales and account management is complex, complicated and constantly changing making this job challenging, yet extremely rewarding. Mlive offers cutting edge technology and a strong and solid foundation with it's affiliations with Advance Digital, Conde Nast and Reddit. The company is extremely competitive with it's products and it's constantly searching for new and innovative ways to grow. There are many talented people to work with that are always willing to assist when questions arise. Salary is competitive within the industry and benefits are also good. I work hard and put in extra hours when needed, but my job also offers the flexibility to take care of personal business free of repercussions. Like most jobs, you get out what you put in. This is a great place to work and I would highly recommend to those that are hard-working and up for the challenge.

Cons

Although some people may think this job is a piece of cake, it's not a job for everyone. Due to the constantly changing environment we work in, employees are forced to maintain a high level of knowledge of complex subjects in order to be successful. It's challenging and requires time management skills, problem solving skills, creativity, diligence, dedication, assertiveness and many other qualities. Sales reps are required to cold call and most people don't want anything to do with this. As a result, many new hires don't work out which creates a lot of employee turnover. In my opinion, new hire training is insufficient. New sales reps are pushed out the door in the first few days of hire with an expectation to sell with no product training. Not only do the reps suffer by the lack of training, but clients also get a poor experience of working with someone with no product knowledge. I have seen many new sales reps out trying to sell stuff they know nothing about, which is not an easy task. Fortunately, there are many good people willing to assist where needed, so don't be afraid to ask. Sales goals are extremely aggressive and YOY growth goals are difficult to achieve, even for seasoned reps. There is opportunity to make a great living, but that requires extra effort and extra hours. One of my previous managers gave me an article once titled “Pick Yourself” (Seth Godin); I think this article lends a lot of insight into our culture here at Mlive. If you’re accustomed to a tiered promotion system, this is not the place for you. Recognition in the way of promotion will not come easy unless you embrace this mantra; and for others, it will provide them an opportunity to succeed.

3 people found this review helpful
    7. 5.0
      Current Employee

Constant change and endless opportunity!

Dec 24, 2014 -
      Business Outlook

Pros

Just like the digital marketing landscape is constantly changing the oroganization is always doing the same. Place people in positions that are best for their skill set. Pay is above average for media companies.

Cons

If you don't like change this is not the place for you.

2 people found this review helpful
    8. 4.0
      Current Intern

Sales Intern

Mar 22, 2018 - Anonymous Intern
      Business Outlook

Pros

First part of internship was really organized. Learned a lot over the summer about digital marketing. Took us to New York which was such an awesome experience.

Cons

Towards the end the responsibilities diminished, was left with nothing to do.

Be the first to find this review helpful
    9. 3.0
      Former Employee, more than 1 year

Account Executive

Dec 7, 2017 - Account Executive
      Business Outlook

Pros

Opportunity to meet a lot of people, consistent education on the new and upcoming digital marketing strategies, made lifelong friends working here. Received consistent education on how to do better at my job and learned a lot as a professional marketer and as a person.

Cons

Very "cliquey", unrealistic goals that get higher each year, it's a lottery to get a good manager. It's a roller coaster job, when it's good it's good, when it's bad it's really bad.

2 people found this review helpful