MMI Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

3.7
MMI Agency CEO Benjamin Spiegel
Benjamin Spiegel

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "decent place to work"

I worked at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

benefits, good people, owner is very caring

Cons

work is sold before the skillset exists within the agency. little career development opportunities

"Bad Place To Work"

I worked at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

The hours are a joke for an agency-9-5:30. This is because almost no one is motivated to work late.

Cons

There is gross nepotism in the HR dept. Low salaries-tight on overall benefits. They have lots of debt. True Hierarchy -little interaction with upper management. Lots of promotion based on relationships vs. talent. Tries to be a digital agency but still runs like an old PR firm. Mice problem. No formal review process.

Advice to Management

Stop promoting people who aren't good at their jobs. Remove the nepotism. Get out of debt.

"Exciting time of growth with GREAT people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some exceptionally smart and talented people here that are committed to great work. People genuinely want to do the right thing here for each other and our clients.
    - Positive, open, friendly culture of collaboration and teamwork. The expectations and standards are high, but It's not the kind of cut-throat environment where people tear each other down or step on each other to get ahead. People are really helpful, want to do great work, and genuinely have fun while doing it.
    - The team's made a lot of proactive changes and hires to take this agency to the next level and ensure our offerings keep pace with changes in the industry. It's exciting to see MMI go up against (and win!) against major national agencies for global brands.
    - Nice location downtown and competitive pay/benefits/vacation.

Cons

Sometime the hours are long and the deadlines are crazy tight, but that's pretty standard for most agencies.

The agency's changed and grown up a LOT in the past few years for the better in terms of size, capabilities, caliber of client work, and talent - but habits are hard to break, and sometimes we slip into old habits. It's getting better, but sometimes it feels like we spin our wheels unnecessarily on internal operations and communications.

Advice to Management

You've made a lot of smart changes and great hires in the last few years to take this agency to the next level, so it's really exciting to see this trajectory. We're all hungry for a clear path forward, so frank, regular communication on this is always appreciated.

Focus. Both in the types of work we want to go after, and the kind of agency we want to be today and tomorrow. We need to move fast, but keep avoiding the temptation to say "yes" to every opportunity.

Don't let legacy issues from a time when you were much smaller (or with different staff and clients in place) hold back your current team that's eager to do really great work and make MMI a best-in-class agency. Listen to the people you hire—in fact, ask them regularly and intently, "What is it we can be doing better as individuals and as a firm?"—and *listen* to what they have to say, and we'll go a long way.

"Know what you want"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

They worked to fix the pay to better match the industry, health is paid for and it is easy to find good people to work with. You can get exposure to all kinds of new things though you won't really get a chance to act on it. The ones who work hard are worth working with. Some good opportunities to move up, but not really do rewarding work.

Cons

They have very little internal direction. They can't seem to figure themselves out. All of the good stuff is reserved for the top people while everyone else pulls insane hours to do crappy work. They aren't particularly innovative or creative, just large. The quality of work is lacking and there are big cultural problems that directors and above seem to ignore. The account services department is overloaded and are not particularly good compared to other agencies.

Aug 15, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you had brought these opinions to your manager while you were still with the agency as we are always striving to improve MMI for our employees. Over the past... More

"Exciting Growth & Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow your career and get a well rounded view of the advertising industry. Great people, casual work environment and impressive growth. Fast paced environment and one of the best out there at the moment.

Cons

Lots of recent turnover is causing process issues and confusion on roles and responsibilities between groups. Weak mid level leadership -- managers are hired without management experience and have no one to help groom them and develop management skills.

Advice to Management

A lot of misleading information is relayed. Please make sure you're able to speak to the job on a more precise level when holding discussions.

May 2, 2016 – CEO

As always, we appreciate candid feedback from our employees. We are continuously adapting in this time of change. We have made and continue to make strides toward streamlining processes, specifically... More

"Needs a lot of work..."

Former Employee - Account Services
    Former Employee - Account Services

I worked at MMI Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice building, good location in downtown Houston with free parking

- Decent relationships with co-workers. I was able to relate and build good relationships with those co-workers that had the same outlook as I did and identified MMI's strengths and weaknesses.

- Overall, I liked my clients and the account work.

Cons

- There isn't enough transparency among all levels of leadership/management. MMI is having somewhat of an identity crisis and seems to be splitting into two separate companies, yet working under the same roof. It would have been nice to be kept in the loop as to what MMI's business plan looked like for 2016 and forward, but usually I heard this information and any changes in direction through the grapevine.

- There is clear favoritism at MMI. It's apparent who the leadership team would like to see succeed and move forward at MMI. Others are left wondering what lies ahead and what their future may look like at the company.

- MMI underpays their employees. There is not enough recognition and compensation for good work.

- Too many employees are too young and inexperienced.

- MMI tends to over-promise and under-deliver on client projects. There is an unrealistic expectation set with the clients that causes unneeded pressure among internal teams. MMI needs to set realistic timelines, deadlines and budgets with their clients.

- Unlike the majority of the other reviews written by interns in 2016, I was a full-time employee for 4 years. Please note how the interns rated MMI five stars versus actual full-time employees. It's also suspect that these five-star reviews conveniently happened before layoffs started.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I feel that advice will fall on deaf ears.

Mar 9, 2016 – CEO

Thank you very much for your feedback. I can guarantee it will not fall on deaf ears. We take all employee reviews seriously, as it helps us improve the overall experience for other MMIers. Many of... More

"Brand Management Intern"

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at MMI Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the absolute best mentors in the brand management department. I still keep in contact with them even though I left my internship 3 years ago. Because you are working with brand managers you really get to see the entire advertising process from start to finish. Even though you are an intern, you are made part of the agency family.

Cons

Traffic downtown is the worst.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing!

"Pitching new biz too aggressively"

I worked at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Good culture
    - Decent leadership
    - Good location

Cons

- Pitching new biz too aggressively - have had some layoffs as a result
    - Too conservative of a work environment
    - Weird politics and favoritism
    - Long work hours

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and actually care instead of acting like you care. Quit playing favorites with certain employees.

Feb 25, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate honest feedback, as it helps us to continuously improve the culture and communications inside MMI Agency. As shown by last year’s review-a-palooza, our... More

"Welcoming Culture"

Pros

MMI offers a very unique and welcoming culture. Whether you're in a meeting with the entire leadership team, or working with the plethora of summer interns, people want to learn and be taught. The "MMIers" are charismatic and intuitive. Everyone there offers something new and exciting; there are always new ideas being introduced.

Cons

There are many new and exciting things happening, almost too many to keep track of.

Aug 29, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your review! I believe our culture of passionate and tenacious MMIers is central to what makes our agency unique. As MMI experiences rapid growth, we are very excited about the future... More

"Great people / fantastic culture"

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

- Fantastic culture
    - Great people to work with
    - Awesome things to do outside of work
    - Flexibility to accommodate life events
    - Exciting opportunity (leadership)

Cons

- No transparency regarding promotions
    - No clear path to follow in certain disciplines
    - Movement on accounts/teams
    - Inexperienced account teams

Advice to Management

Keep refining the boring and keep this a great place to work! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Hearing from employees is always appreciated and helps us make MMI an even better place to work.

Thanks to the amazing work created by talented people like you, we... More