MMI Agency Reviews | Glassdoor

4.2
Rating Trends Rating Trends
MMI Agency CEO Benjamin Spiegel
Benjamin Spiegel

"Exciting time of growth with GREAT people"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Some exceptionally smart and talented people here that are committed to great work. People genuinely want to do the right thing here for each other and our clients.
    - Positive, open, friendly culture of collaboration and teamwork. The expectations and standards are high, but It's not the kind of cut-throat environment where people tear each other down or step on each other to get ahead. People are really helpful, want to do great work, and genuinely have fun while doing it.
    - The team's made a lot of proactive changes and hires to take this agency to the next level and ensure our offerings keep pace with changes in the industry. It's exciting to see MMI go up against (and win!) against major national agencies for global brands.
    - Nice location downtown and competitive pay/benefits/vacation.

Cons

Sometime the hours are long and the deadlines are crazy tight, but that's pretty standard for most agencies.

The agency's changed and grown up a LOT in the past few years for the better in terms of size, capabilities, caliber of client work, and talent - but habits are hard to break, and sometimes we slip into old habits. It's getting better, but sometimes it feels like we spin our wheels unnecessarily on internal operations and communications.

Advice to Management

You've made a lot of smart changes and great hires in the last few years to take this agency to the next level, so it's really exciting to see this trajectory. We're all hungry for a clear path forward, so frank, regular communication on this is always appreciated.

Focus. Both in the types of work we want to go after, and the kind of agency we want to be today and tomorrow. We need to move fast, but keep avoiding the temptation to say "yes" to every opportunity.

Don't let legacy issues from a time when you were much smaller (or with different staff and clients in place) hold back your current team that's eager to do really great work and make MMI a best-in-class agency. Listen to the people you hire—in fact, ask them regularly and intently, "What is it we can be doing better as individuals and as a firm?"—and *listen* to what they have to say, and we'll go a long way.

"Know what you want"

I worked at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

They worked to fix the pay to better match the industry, health is paid for and it is easy to find good people to work with. You can get exposure to all kinds of new things though you won't really get a chance to act on it. The ones who work hard are worth working with. Some good opportunities to move up, but not really do rewarding work.

Cons

They have very little internal direction. They can't seem to figure themselves out. All of the good stuff is reserved for the top people while everyone else pulls insane hours to do crappy work. They aren't particularly innovative or creative, just large. The quality of work is lacking and there are big cultural problems that directors and above seem to ignore. The account services department is overloaded and are not particularly good compared to other agencies.

Aug 15, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. We wish you had brought these opinions to your manager while you were still with the agency as we are always striving to improve MMI for our employees. Over the past ... More

"Exciting Growth & Great Company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great place to grow your career and get a well rounded view of the advertising industry. Great people, casual work environment and impressive growth. Fast paced environment and one of the best out there at the moment.

Cons

Lots of recent turnover is causing process issues and confusion on roles and responsibilities between groups. Weak mid level leadership -- managers are hired without management experience and have no one to help groom them and develop management skills.

Advice to Management

A lot of misleading information is relayed. Please make sure you're able to speak to the job on a more precise level when holding discussions.

May 2, 2016 – CEO

As always, we appreciate candid feedback from our employees. We are continuously adapting in this time of change. We have made and continue to make strides toward streamlining processes, specifically ... More

"Brand Management Intern"

Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Austin, TX
    Former Employee - Brand Management Intern in Austin, TX

I worked at MMI Agency (Less than a year)

Pros

I found the absolute best mentors in the brand management department. I still keep in contact with them even though I left my internship 3 years ago. Because you are working with brand managers you really get to see the entire advertising process from start to finish. Even though you are an intern, you are made part of the agency family.

Cons

Traffic downtown is the worst.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you guys are doing!

"Great people / fantastic culture"

I have been working at MMI Agency full-time

Pros

- Fantastic culture
    - Great people to work with
    - Awesome things to do outside of work
    - Flexibility to accommodate life events
    - Exciting opportunity (leadership)

Cons

- No transparency regarding promotions
    - No clear path to follow in certain disciplines
    - Movement on accounts/teams
    - Inexperienced account teams

Advice to Management

Keep refining the boring and keep this a great place to work! Thanks!

Jul 13, 2015 – CEO

Thank you for your feedback. Hearing from employees is always appreciated and helps us make MMI an even better place to work. Thanks to the amazing work created by talented people like you, we ... More

"Great work environment and people"

Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Intern in Houston, TX

Pros

The culture is ethnically diverse, youthful, and quite relaxed.
    As an intern who assisted almost everyone in the firm at some point, I didn't notice much politicking at all.
    Everyone is treated with respect no matter what your position is.
    They have a lot of fun office activities around holidays.
    Everyone is always friendly, talkative, and generally in a good mood.

Cons

During certain parts of the year there were more interns than work to do.
    Because the environment is pretty social (and sometimes employees here are friends/neigbors/church members of the boss), I noticed that if certain people weren't as well-liked as others, they seemed to make no real advancement.

Advice to Management

I don't have any! This is a great place to intern and be exposed to the marketing/ad/pr industry. Everyone that works here seems to love it.

"Disorganized and lacking in a clear business style."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Pros

MMI was very understanding of my need for a work/life balance. They adjusted my schedule to allow me to miss rush hour and allowed me to leave as needed to take my son to the doctor. The pay was good, as were the benefits. I was given quite a bit of autonomy in managing my accounts, and they are committed to client service.

Cons

The management at MMI is not supportive in the least. Praise is rare, and more often they talk down to you and/or steal credit from you. Meetings are run like elementary school classes, and it is expected that employees will not be professional, so they are never treated like professionals. Although you're given quite a bit of autonomy, management will step into the middle of your project and change direction just for the sake of change. The creative work is also not held to the highest standards, and mediocre concepts were almost always considered good enough to send to clients. While I learned a fair amount at MMI, I was never proud that I worked there.

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like professionals, and mentor them rather than talk down to them. Hire a creative director whose sole job it is to guide the creatives toward quality work. Be supportive of your employees--giving them respect will make them better and happier workers. Create a company people can be proud to work at. Oh, and make the building not look like an old storage facility inside. Very depressing.

"Outstanding Company Culture"

Current Intern - Project Management Intern
    Current Intern - Project Management Intern

I have been working at MMI Agency as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The office community is amazing. Everyone is so kind and friendly towards one another, and truly care about your well being as a whole. As an intern I always felt respected and treated like any other employee. The building itself is a really cool work space, and I love its location. The monthly company meeting, "celebrations" is my absolute favorite. There is great leadership here.

Cons

There is still a lot of organizing ahead of them, and sometimes it gets lost when someone does not set a clear direction for a project. They are working very hard to improve this system though!

Advice to Management

Focus on streamlining communication and improving online systems. They are a quickly growing business, and in order to maintain the company culture there needs to be a better form of communication.

"Needs a lot of work..."

Former Employee - Account Services
    Former Employee - Account Services

I worked at MMI Agency full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

- Nice building, good location in downtown Houston with free parking

- Decent relationships with co-workers. I was able to relate and build good relationships with those co-workers that had the same outlook as I did and identified MMI's strengths and weaknesses.

- Overall, I liked my clients and the account work.

Cons

- There isn't enough transparency among all levels of leadership/management. MMI is having somewhat of an identity crisis and seems to be splitting into two separate companies, yet working under the same roof. It would have been nice to be kept in the loop as to what MMI's business plan looked like for 2016 and forward, but usually I heard this information and any changes in direction through the grapevine.

- There is clear favoritism at MMI. It's apparent who the leadership team would like to see succeed and move forward at MMI. Others are left wondering what lies ahead and what their future may look like at the company.

- MMI underpays their employees. There is not enough recognition and compensation for good work.

- Too many employees are too young and inexperienced.

- MMI tends to over-promise and under-deliver on client projects. There is an unrealistic expectation set with the clients that causes unneeded pressure among internal teams. MMI needs to set realistic timelines, deadlines and budgets with their clients.

- Unlike the majority of the other reviews written by interns in 2016, I was a full-time employee for 4 years. Please note how the interns rated MMI five stars versus actual full-time employees. It's also suspect that these five-star reviews conveniently happened before layoffs started.

Advice to Management

Unfortunately, I feel that advice will fall on deaf ears.

Mar 9, 2016 – CEO

Thank you very much for your feedback. I can guarantee it will not fall on deaf ears. We take all employee reviews seriously, as it helps us improve the overall experience for other MMIers. Many of ... More

"Pitching new biz too aggressively"

I worked at MMI Agency full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Nice people
    - Good culture
    - Decent leadership
    - Good location

Cons

- Pitching new biz too aggressively - have had some layoffs as a result
    - Too conservative of a work environment
    - Weird politics and favoritism
    - Long work hours

Advice to Management

Invest in employees and actually care instead of acting like you care. Quit playing favorites with certain employees.

Feb 25, 2016 – CEO

Thank you for your review. We always appreciate honest feedback, as it helps us to continuously improve the culture and communications inside MMI Agency. As shown by last year’s review-a-palooza, our ... More