MODEC Reviews | Glassdoor

1 Rating

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Get here ASAP"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MODEC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

1. 9/80 schedule and we are fed breakfast the Friday's we work.
    2. Cheap insurance premiums which is less than $70.00 per paycheck for medical and dental for a family
    3. Great pay for engineering, and project management functions
    4. Energy corridor location
    5. Typically receive bonuses before Christmas
    6. Lost of travel

Cons

1. MODEC/SOFEC operates as two separate companies
    2. Nothing innovative for employees
    3. Lack of accountability and employees have to commit a MAJOR infraction. They keep low performers
    4. Training has somewhat improved, but I would like to learn more to succeed in my role

Advice to Management

Better compliance to weed out executives/employees doing illegal activities

2. "horrible incompetent organization STAY AWAY"

Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at MODEC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice central building to katy, galleria, westchase area
    gym onsite
    secure building
    9/80 schedule is nice but longer hours

Cons

I had a horrible experience with this company. I had a situation where i was openly discriminated against regarding my faith and sex by someone on the leadership team. When i finally reported it nothing happened I then reported it to the ETHICS hotline. I was transferred without reason to another department where the person in the leadership position didn't want me in his group.

He was very rude to me and shut me down every opportunity he had. For example we were flooding in Houston my daughter's school closed so I was willing to work from home. He wrote back and told me that there is no reason for people to work from home and to take a personal day. One hour later HR shut down the office for safety.
    I was shut down when asked for training, work, or responsibilities. the manager then sent a team member to several trainings throughout the year but wouldn't allow me to take training. For more than 1 year the manager couldn't find any work to give me and "struggled" to do so. I asked to attend client meetings since I support the group and he told me "no would would open up to you or tell you anything" but then started taking the coordinator to the meetings. I would suggest things that I could handle and he would say no and then ask another member of the team to handle that task. He threaten me multiple times by saying he has to justify why I am here and has to find something to keep my busy or I have no job. Which was a lie. He would come and talk to every team member but ignore my presence as he would have to pass by me to get to the team.

I was told to not discuss the discrimination issue with anyone and was made to feel that I did something wrong by reporting it. I was plastered as the person who causes trouble and was retaliated badly against even though there is a no retaliation policy. I again approached HR regarding the retaliation and no one followed up after as promised. This made things even worse for me with my manager he called me a liar and made life even worse for me.

No training or employee development at all. No HSE culture. No health culture. And no way of moving up for anyone. No women in higher management and very few women managers only a handful.

No tissues provided, utensils, plates, calendars. you pretty much have to bring your own supplies to work.

Benefits are a joke with co pays you have to pay for all the the labs and testing done. I went to the ER paid the $250 co pay and another $200. Every time I took my child to the Dr I had to pay $50-$70 in testing

This company is bleeding financially and haven't won and projects more layoffs are coming. Don't join this organization.

Advice to Management

actually follow up on ethics violations to check on the health of the person who reported it.

3. "Process Engineer"

Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Process Engineer in Houston, TX

I worked at MODEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

chances to move around the world like south america, africa, US, and southeast asia

Cons

They do not provide any training for new employees when you have no experience in this industry. Little interaction between coworkers.

4. "Electrical Engineer"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Houston, TX

I worked at MODEC (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good Company. Good Exposure. Good Boss

Cons

Politics. Politics, Politics and Politics

Advice to Management

Balance of multicultural employees to keep the company going

5. "Accounting"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I worked at MODEC (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good benefits and work schedule

Cons

This company played the favoritism card too much, management hired friends in the departments they managed and it didn't take long for co-workers to know they were very close friends especially when these employees got several raises during the year. All other employees received yearly raise and if you were not a close friend or relative then you got pennies compared to dollars. Management in Houston very shady, makes you wonder if the Tokyo office really knows what is going on???

Advice to Management

Be fair to All employees

6. "Horrible, unethical place to work"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I have been working at MODEC full-time

Pros

Pay is good, bonus is good, location is off freeway, gym downstairs with locker room, nice building that is it

Cons

Politics on every level, no professionalism, quality of people working here is below average. All male dominated no female promoted. No training or any type of incentives to learn. Benefits are not that great,

7. "Less Work"

Current Employee - Project Document Control Coordinator II in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Document Control Coordinator II in Houston, TX

I have been working at MODEC full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Many opportunities state side and abroad.

Cons

Pay is not necessarily comparable in the industry, but with benefits you have to take the good with the bad.

8. "Quantity Surveyor"

Former Employee - Quantity Surveyor in Brazil, KY
    Former Employee - Quantity Surveyor in Brazil, KY

Pros

Good benefits, excellent salary

Cons

excellent in management and best company

"Generally good company with friendly staff and work environment"

I have been working at MODEC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good work environment. Good coworkers. Great benefits. Ideal work location in the Energy Corridor. The company host activities to cultivate good relationships with employees throughout the year.

Cons

Senior management is distant and seems unapproachable at times. Support functions within the company are not given proper attention.

Advice to Management

Do not fill positions based upon tenure alone. Qualifications must be considered or else it causes your qualified candidates to look elsewhere for employment.

10. "Moderate Environment"

I have been working at MODEC full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Can grow if you know the management secrete

Cons

You may feel that management is not fair.