MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory Reviews | Glassdoor

1. "Overall Review"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Princeton, NJ

I have been working at MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory full-time

Pros

The depth of knowledge and experience of senior staff is incredible. Junior analysts can always find support and ask for guidance from senior staff. The entire team works very well together.

MPI has a national presence and works on a wide variety of highly interesting cases. The work is rarely the same from day to day and the client interactions are priceless.

MPI has a strong brand and presence in the marketplace; clients know they will get a high quality product and great service. MPI has operated for 77 years as an independent firm and is nationally recognized.

Small company culture means that all employees have access to management; there is a never-ending amount of opportunities for personal and professional growth; there is no bureaucracy and very few politics involved; and once analysts are seasoned they get to run as leads on many client projects and take ownership of a significant client list.

Compensation rates are highly competitive. If you demonstrate the ability to do complicated work, continue to grow and are productive, you can earn significant bonuses and annual increases in pay.

Cons

Some senior staff are stretched thin, but this is improving.
    The time commitment is significant, but rewarding, and there are seasonal waves.

Advice to Management

The current trajectory is very appealing.

2. "Collegial atmosphere"

Pros

Learning oriented culture. MPI is a firm that allows its employees to take on as much responsibility as they would like, while continuing to support younger employees. It is one of the few organizations that will allow you immediate exposure to executive management both internally and externally (client organizations). The Company truly has an open door policy with all employees.

MPI's work and senior leadership allows individuals to learn the fundamentals of financial valuation & M&A analysis at a blazing pace, if individuals are willing to put the effort in.

Cons

Elements of MPI's infrastructure for completing financial engagements need improvement (something that senior management is currently working on).

Hours can be long, but compensation almost always reflects this factor.

The Company has a long history, but has not grown to its full potential just yet.

Advice to Management

Place full emphasis on growth, particularly as it relates to tangential services that the Company already provides. MPI needs to focus on sales and growth while maintaining its high quality deliverables, despite a historically production driven mindset.

3. "Friendly place to work that will teach you about how the real world works."

Current Employee - Intern in Princeton, NJ
    Current Employee - Intern in Princeton, NJ

Pros

As an intern, I came to MPI expecting a certain amount of drudgery work. However, what busy work" I was assigned to do came with many of my supervisors and upper management thanking me for doing the work, as much of it was integral to MPI's future operations.

The "real work", such as working on models or performing research, did an effective job of teaching me about valuation, which was a topic I had not yet explored in college. The workload was certainly bearable, and I was able to listen to music or a podcast on my phone while I worked, so the work was certainly more enjoyable than tedious.

It was fascinating to see the "life cycle" of a job, from interns researching a topic, to senior management putting together more complex models, to a final report being drafted.

In addition, I greatly appreciated the complimentary beverages in the break room.

Cons

Not so much a con but perhaps more of a personal inconvenience. MPI is located an hour and a half away from my home, which led me to rent a room at a house about 5 minutes away from MPI to reduce commute times. The rent I payed ensured I did not see as much of my earnings as I would have liked to see.

Perhaps two or three times over the length of the internship, I found myself working anywhere from 30 minutes to an hour and a half longer than my allotted 40 hours per week. However, there was no overtime pay for interns, even when I was given a priority assignment 30 minutes before the end of the day.

At the end of the day, I really enjoyed this internship and I will never forget the 12 weeks I spent at MPI.

Advice to Management

I personally did not have a problem with the amount of "busy work" I was assigned. In terms of client work, the interns attended training sessions to learn the models and research types that are used at MPI. However, it may have been weeks before the interns were actually assigned to complete a model or perform research, and even though most of us took copious notes, it was not surprising to not be able to remember the specifics of an important step. I might recommend having a senior analyst or AP member sit down with the interns and run through an assignment, start to finish, so that future interns know the theory behind the assignment as well as being familiar with how to complete an assignment in practice.

4. "Great Opportunities for Clever Self-starters"

I have been working at MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

I've been with MPI for over 18 years. It is one of those increasingly rare companies where you can grow professionally; carve out a niche for yourself in the industry; and have a feeling of ownership, without the need to switch firms several times throughout your career. There is a great team here that will help innovative people create opportunities. The new generation of management and ownership is bold and decisive.

Cons

It is very much a trend nowadays for recent college graduates to change jobs every couple of years. I think one of our biggest challenges now is demonstrating the long term value of a career with us to recent college grads.

Advice to Management

MPI has come a long way in offering a decent work/life balance. The improvements in business methods and practice development have breathed new life into the company. Keep up the good work!

5. "MPI Review"

Former Employee - Senior Valuation Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Senior Valuation Analyst in Princeton, NJ

I worked at MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory full-time

Pros

High exposure to challenging work, leaders within the firm, and C-suite leaders of client companies. The 2-year analyst program forces you to develop very strong core financial valuation/M&A and analysis skills and you gain deep knowledge of companies operating across a broad range of industries. If you gain the trust of those you work with, there is unlimited potential to take ownership of your own projects and grow even more quickly within the company and take on more complex assignments. Company is poised to grow.

Cons

Some of the boiler plate templates and processes need to be further standardized so that more time can be used doing constructive analysis. Hours can be long, but they reward well and the experience/exposure as an analyst right out of school

Advice to Management

Office in Boston/NYC

6. "Valuation Analyst"

Former Employee - Valuation Associate in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Valuation Associate in Princeton, NJ

I worked at MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory full-time (More than a year)

Pros

A lot to learn in two year entry-level program. Can develop significant responsibility for engagements towards the end of the two year program. Get to work with analysts at all levels, as well as upper management on a daily basis. Get exposed to various industries and companies (based on size and stage of lifecycle).

Cons

Long hours, especially during two-year program... not unusual for industry and similar to big 4. Location isn't ideal for younger employees, but close enough to Philadelphia to warrant commute.

Advice to Management

Hire more to free up time for personal and internal company development. Be more market facing, especially from a partner's standpoint.

"Great small firm to work at, but limited career growth and exit opportunities"

Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ
    Former Employee - Financial Analyst in Princeton, NJ

Pros

Small firm feel, colleagues are respectful and helpful, princeton new jersey is a good place for new families. Individual effort is really visible and senior management can recognize and applaud superior performance. Recent infrastructure overhaul and focus on long term growth of company is a good sign. Everyone has a change to give input and contribute to larger company decisions. Privately held company with profit sharing package for upper level management. Good transparency between different pay-grades. Relaxed but focused atmosphere creates a good environment for over-achieving. Many employee events for moral and work breaks during the year. Decent postgraduate pay.

Cons

The business is somewhat commoditized, and the day to day assignments tend to be somewhat of a chore. Proprietary models could use improvement, and the nature of the tax consulting business for clients opens up many potential conflicts of interest that have resulted in MPI having to defend its valuations for hedge funds and private equity groups obviously set up with multiple entities to evade taxation and violate the spirit of the law. The recent branching out of MPI's business to serve investment banking needs is somewhat trivial and not a core competency that can add value to the company. The small size and limited scale of operations does not create many attractive exit options. Princeton NJ is not known for its financial centers, although there are many hedge fund groups in the area. The city is not too favorable for younger workers who prefer the atmosphere of new york city, which is nearby

Advice to Management

As a growing practice, there are several issues with regards to retaining talent that the human resources needs to address. Offering more competitive packages would go a long way to make sure that new talent does not leave after a few years to pursue more lucrative opportunities

"Underwhelming Place to Work, No Advancement Opportunities"

I worked at MPI - Business Valuation & Advisory full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MPI has many very intelligent individuals working at the company. As a young employee, there is a great opportunity to learn from them. MPI conducts valuations for many different types of companies, so employees can learn a great deal about different types of industries and business procedures. One of the best and most exciting aspects of working here is performing on-site due diligence and communicating with upper management of clients.

Cons

Much of the work becomes very repetitive, tedious and somewhat mindless. The company's revenue has been stagnant for several years and there is not very much room for growth. Management tends to treat junior-level employees as drones, most likely due to the fact that upper management and successors are pretty much set in stone for the next 15-20 years. Between the latter, lack of future growth opportunities and very obvious favoritism within the company, there is almost no ability to advance within MPI.

Despite all of this, if an employee chooses to leave the company and pursue other opportunities, upper management seems to take it as a personal sleight. Upper management is also unnecessarily and bizarrely secretive about many things, including fairly inconsequential items. Furthermore, their interactions with one another often resemble the movie "Mean Girls."

Advice to Management

Become more transparent. Show greater appreciation for employees and create better advancement opportunities.