MPI Research Reviews | Glassdoor

MPI Research Reviews

Updated October 28, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Decent benefits at a relatively stable company (in 8 reviews)

• Good benefits, new ownership is making moves to improve communication from the bottom up (in 5 reviews)

Cons
  • Lots of interference from upper management which complicates the task at hand (in 21 reviews)

• Work life balance can get extremely skewed toward the work side (in 5 reviews)

"Technician"

I worked at MPI Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Paid a little more than average in the area.
    Benefits.

Cons

The company does not want to invest in hiring more people, big loud of work, little stuff. Never get out in time, long hours. Unfortunately, bad management. Little room to grow.
    No life/ work balance.

Advice to Management

Do your job, no favoritism.

2. "Office/Administrative/Data Entry"

I worked at MPI Research full-time

Pros

It is a good place to get started in the preclinical pharmaceutical research industry. You have an opportunity to learn and there is tuition reimbursement. Pay could be better but benefits are good. Oh, and the cafeteria food is good.

Cons

As others have said, work/life balance can be hard to achieve in some departments. The new owners are not local and have a typical corporate America mentality. If they decide your position or department is expendable, then it gets cut.

"Its a job."

I have been working at MPI Research full-time

Pros

2 weeks paid vacation time right off the bat, decent benefits, and a lot of options should you decide to move around withing the company (after 18 months). Good food.

Cons

Have to work holidays, weekends, and a good chuck of overtime. its not glorious (or clean) by any means. Getting sweaty, peed on, pooped on, etc is an extremely common occurrence and many jobs are difficult either physically and/or mentally.

4. "Improving"

I have been working at MPI Research full-time

Pros

Good benefits, new ownership is making moves to improve communication from the bottom up.

Cons

Hours can be very unpredictable.

"Horrible"

Former Employee - Associate Scientist
    Former Employee - Associate Scientist

I worked at MPI Research full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Benifits are ok. Nice cafeteria. Nice walking paths around campus. Give opportunities to fresh grads. Can learn a lot of things about GLP and documentation.

Cons

No life basically. Managers throw you under the bust all the time. Bioanalytical department is just a vicious place to work for. Horrible managers including the VP.

Advice to Management

Learn to value people.

"Management needs some work"

Current Employee - Research Technician in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Research Technician in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

I have met a lot of great workers who are now some of my best friends

Cons

The management needs some serious work

7. "Great Place to Work"

I have been working at MPI Research full-time

Pros

I have worked at MPI Research for 11 years. The main thing I like about this company is that if you have ambition and drive you will have opportunity to build and advance your career. Also, communication has dramatically improved throughout the company over the last year and the company is growing at a great rate. It is a pleasure to work here with all of the companies great employees.

Cons

Employees should take more advantage of the onsite classes that are offered.

Advice to Management

Continue to build upon the open communication throughout the company.

8. "Company culture improving dramatically"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Mattawan, MI

I have been working at MPI Research full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Executive management has made it a point to provide transparency in business decisions to the employees. The new CEO is friendly and approachable.

Cons

Some departments are still holding to the antiquated ideas of the previous owner and treating employees like objects and not humans.

Advice to Management

Keep the communication up-it's great to hear from you!

"Good for initial experience I guess"

I worked at MPI Research full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Overtime is available (sometimes too much), but it does help increase your pay. MPI is a good way to get experience for future jobs but most people don't stay there long. The coworkers are generally fun people since they skew very young.

Cons

Very low pay in general, and a VERY large discrepancy between similar employees. They will try to hire at the lowest possible salary which causes friction when employees find out what others at the same level are making. Lots of interference from upper management which complicates the task at hand. Unrealistic deadlines are typical. To sum up: we called it "The Science Factory" because you feel like an uneducated blue collar worker while you're there. Except for the pay, factory workers make more money.

Advice to Management

If you're not here to ogle 20-somethings like a creep I'd suggest getting out of the dumpster fire while you can.

"You're Replaceable"

Former Employee - Research Technician in Mattawan, MI
    Former Employee - Research Technician in Mattawan, MI

I worked at MPI Research full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Quite honestly, the people with whom you work will make or break your time here. I moved here for this job and met some of my best friends through MPI. For that, I am thankful.
    Also, the cafeteria is pretty great.

Cons

You're replaceable. And everyone knows that. And you're treated like it. Being a Research Technician is not a glamorous job by any means - you'll get sweaty, pooped and/or peed on by animals, and work so much overtime and holidays that you won't remember what having a social life that isn't centered around when you don't work weekends is like. Promotions are far and few. Favoritism is rampant. If you mess up, you'll more than likely be placed on probation or fired-again, that depends on how much they like you. The benefits are just okay. Same with the pay. Project leaders can be completely incompetent, and you'll wonder why the company pays to keep them on for knowing nothing about their studies and/or misleading technicians. (Some are great - don't get me wrong.)

Advice to Management

It's not hard to take a crappy job and make it respectable. All you have to do is be more selective about who you hire and increase pay. Factories do it. MPI is essentially a research factory. Take the Research Technician role and make it respectable. People will stay longer and you won't have such a massive turnover rate. People will actually try harder and not mess up as much. But, continue the way you have, and you'll just keep hiring, hiring, hiring.