MRA - The Management Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Susan Fronk

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work, great people, fun work environment

Cons

We are really busy!

2. "Exciting challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our members! We get the privilege to work with so many different companies. There is so much variety in what we get to do.

Cons

Nothing major. Your work environment is what you make it. If you don't like it do something about it. Everyone wears multiple hats at MRA so you must be a team player and be agile.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things to be on the cutting edge of HR

"Really enjoy the work and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Pros

It’s hard for me to believe I have been working for MRA for one year already. I feel like I’ve been with the organization much longer, mostly due to the fact that I was engaged in multiple projects right from the start, and the entire staff is very welcoming to new employees. They have one of the best onboarding programs I have ever seen. I enjoy this type of environment where you are embraced by the organization and working on new things every day.

Management is very supportive of staff and gives them the autonomy to use their knowledge and expertise to accomplish goals and objectives. Executive management is not afraid to take calculated risks, either. They are willing to try new things as long as there is a sound strategy for supporting a new initiative. This makes things exciting at MRA.

They also are investing in the organization and have recently brought on several new director-level personnel. You can see a good leadership team starting to gel and making an impact on helping the organization get to the next level using new technology and implementing new digital initiatives.

As a member-based organization, the focus is always on the member experience. Serving members is embedded in the culture of the organization and the entire staff seem to all work toward this goal. I enjoy knowing that the work I do is helping other businesses thrive. It’s rewarding to hear our members say that MRA is their lifeline and they rely on us because of our industry expertise, the breadth of services we provide and the support we give them so that they can succeed.

Cons

Many people believe working for a non-profit is easy and will be less demanding than working for a for-profit organization. This is not the case at MRA. The work is definitely fast paced. If you’re not up to the challenge, or you’re looking for a cushy job, you will be surprised and you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep relying on your people. They're all working toward a common goal of exceeding members' expectations.

"HR company should practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Plymouth, MN

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location close to Caribou Coffee
    Great holiday gifts (all items from member companies, so it's supporting the company by supporting the members)

Cons

One department in particular has had almost 100% turnover twice in the past 3 years. 3 people left voluntarily within a month of each other, the department's manager left a few months before that, and each person that left advised HR/upper management of the department supervisor's inability to effectively run the department and support the employees. Instead of taking all of these people seriously (including the remaining employees, many of whom echoed the sentiments of the people who gave their notice), management then FIRED 2 additional employees, claiming they were too negative.
    In addition to horrible management, you hardly get any days off (which doesn't make sense for an employment association claiming to use best practices), and the benefits are different depending on which state you work in, which doesn't really make sense.

Advice to Management

Listen. to. your. employees. If multiple people are leaving a department and others are actively looking for new employment, and all of these people are citing the supervisor as the issue, maybe don't fire more people and keep that supervisor in their job. How can you be taken seriously as an employment association apparently giving companies advice on how to keep employees/effectively run themselves when you don't follow your own advice? It makes you look so foolish.

"If you like meetings this is the place for you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

They need to figure out a clear direction. Streamline the entire company, take a hard look at what is really needed and what is not. Just because you have done it for the last 20 years, does not mean you still need to. And ease up the dress code.

Advice to Management

Don't keep doing it the same way as you always have., and you don't need so many layers in management.

"HR Manager"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Plymouth, MN
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager in Plymouth, MN

Pros

Great members
    Interesting variety of assignments and different industries

Cons

No benefits offered for PT status

"The CEO and senior management are the worst. Micromanagement at its finest."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Milwaukee, WI

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

If you enjoy being dictated to and working in a bureaucracy that complicates the simplest task this is the place for you. Great place to attend meeting, try to appear important, and not get anything accomplished. The all staff meetings are nothing more than a lame pep rally where the senior management applauds themselves as they nod in agreement while everyone else is looking forward to the end.

Cons

The CEO and top management of this organization lack the basic skill to lead effectively. If you are a yes person and are agreeable to whatever uniformed decision they make, you have a future in this organization. The CEO and top management like to pretend at being top executives while the old school organization plods along surviving. Top Management is two faced,hypocritical, and very thin skinned. As employees, we shared what they said and did behind closed doors and always knew what they were really about. it wasn't flattering. I and others stopped giving suggestions to improve operations and avoid problems but their was always subtle retribution. The message was "If you don't agree with us, keep your mouth shut" They are slowly eroding the revenue in Minnesota after an acquisition as a direct result of top ineptness.

Advice to Management

Quit micromanaging. Get out of your office, where you stay all day, and ask people how things can be done better and ACT on these suggestions. Quit dictating. Stop the focus on things that really do not matter, and get out of the way of the professionals in this organization so that they can do their job.

9. "Cutting Edge HR Professionals & Flexible Work Hours"

Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, SPHR in Palatine, IL
    Current Employee - Human Resources Manager, SPHR in Palatine, IL

Pros

I work with some of the most knowledgeable HR professionals in the industry who are friendly and supportive. MRA has a nice variety of age groups within the company as well. The company offers many options to work from home and a variety of flexible schedules. MRA offers a good balance of company wide employee social events coupled with the freedom to just connect within your own department. Our monthly conference calls keep us connected between states and the calls are also recorded if we can’t make the meeting. As employees, we are continually provided with in house training on cutting edge topics and we now receive HRCI credits based on that training. It is a great company to work for to be at the top of your game as an HR professional.

Cons

The main negative is that we have to track our hours rigorously for billing purposes. All of the time tracking can be cumbersome.

10. "Great place, Great people, Great Support"

Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Waukesha, WI
    Current Employee - WISCONSIN in Waukesha, WI

Pros

Great co-workers, everyone is helpful and willing to take an extra step and listen/support you in any way they can. MRA is very flexible. Having children and being able to take time off without a problem is a huge plus for me. Great benefits that kicks in pretty quick. Open door management, I feel i can go to CFO or CEO at any given time. They make you feel welcome. Work/ life balance is important to the company. MRA is just a great place to work at.

Cons

none that I can think of

Advice to Management

keep up great work and stay flexible :)

"Great place, great people."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MRA offers a great working environment with an even better set of co-workers and leaders within the Company. Customer Service is a passion of mine, and MRA places emphasis on working hard for and taking care of their members (customers), above all else. I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here and strongly recommend.

Cons

None - I'll list another pro instead - great benefits that kick in quickly.

Advice to Management

None.