MRA - The Management Association Reviews | Glassdoor

Susan Fronk

1. "Recruiter"

Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI
    Current Employee - Senior Recruiter in Milwaukee, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Flexible work, great people, fun work environment

Cons

We are really busy!

2. "Exciting challenge"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Our members! We get the privilege to work with so many different companies. There is so much variety in what we get to do.

Cons

Nothing major. Your work environment is what you make it. If you don't like it do something about it. Everyone wears multiple hats at MRA so you must be a team player and be agile.

Advice to Management

Keep trying new things to be on the cutting edge of HR

"Really enjoy the work and culture"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

Pros

It’s hard for me to believe I have been working for MRA for one year already. I feel like I’ve been with the organization much longer, mostly due to the fact that I was engaged in multiple projects right from the start, and the entire staff is very welcoming to new employees. They have one of the best onboarding programs I have ever seen. I enjoy this type of environment where you are embraced by the organization and working on new things every day.

Management is very supportive of staff and gives them the autonomy to use their knowledge and expertise to accomplish goals and objectives. Executive management is not afraid to take calculated risks, either. They are willing to try new things as long as there is a sound strategy for supporting a new initiative. This makes things exciting at MRA.

They also are investing in the organization and have recently brought on several new director-level personnel. You can see a good leadership team starting to gel and making an impact on helping the organization get to the next level using new technology and implementing new digital initiatives.

As a member-based organization, the focus is always on the member experience. Serving members is embedded in the culture of the organization and the entire staff seem to all work toward this goal. I enjoy knowing that the work I do is helping other businesses thrive. It’s rewarding to hear our members say that MRA is their lifeline and they rely on us because of our industry expertise, the breadth of services we provide and the support we give them so that they can succeed.

Cons

Many people believe working for a non-profit is easy and will be less demanding than working for a for-profit organization. This is not the case at MRA. The work is definitely fast paced. If you’re not up to the challenge, or you’re looking for a cushy job, you will be surprised and you will struggle.

Advice to Management

Keep relying on your people. They're all working toward a common goal of exceeding members' expectations.

4. "Great Employer"

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time

Pros

Small company with great ability to build relationships

Cons

As a non-profit, can be limiting for career growth and comp/benefits.

"HR"

I have been working at MRA - The Management Association full-time

Pros

Challenging work and likeable co-workers

Cons

Minimal support, poor communications, reactive

Advice to Management

360's for executive team and market focus

"Business development"

Pros

Vision, mission and values are practiced with their members, which I respected. HR Advisors and HRBP's are by far, the best of the best.

Cons

High expectations with minimal training, took a long time to get questions answered and follow through was lacking...right to the end when I was told I would be contacted for an exit interview and never was, which came as a surprise since these are services MRA offers to their members.

"Not a great place for growth"

Pros

Some nice people, decent pay for some, depends on what dept you are in... Pretty laid back.

Cons

Meetings upon meetings that sometimes get nothing accomplished. There are a bunch of people who have to look over anything that goes out, therefore, project completion is slooooow. Slow is the name of the game here... and micromanagement. Also, they say one thing and do another. Not trustworthy.

Advice to Management

You should try harder to keep good people.

"HR company should practice what they preach"

Former Employee - Customer Service in Plymouth, MN
    Former Employee - Customer Service in Plymouth, MN

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good location close to Caribou Coffee
    Great holiday gifts (all items from member companies, so it's supporting the company by supporting the members)

Cons

One department in particular has had almost 100% turnover twice in the past 3 years. 3 people left voluntarily within a month of each other, the department's manager left a few months before that, and each person that left advised HR/upper management of the department supervisor's inability to effectively run the department and support the employees. Instead of taking all of these people seriously (including the remaining employees, many of whom echoed the sentiments of the people who gave their notice), management then FIRED 2 additional employees, claiming they were too negative.
    In addition to horrible management, you hardly get any days off (which doesn't make sense for an employment association claiming to use best practices), and the benefits are different depending on which state you work in, which doesn't really make sense.

Advice to Management

Listen. to. your. employees. If multiple people are leaving a department and others are actively looking for new employment, and all of these people are citing the supervisor as the issue, maybe don't fire more people and keep that supervisor in their job. How can you be taken seriously as an employment association apparently giving companies advice on how to keep employees/effectively run themselves when you don't follow your own advice? It makes you look so foolish.

9. "Variety of Assignments - Top Notch Coworkers"

Pros

MRA has a wide variety of wonderful member companies. I love working with them and helping to solve their HR concerns. If I don't know the answer, I have knowledgeable coworkers who are quick to help. My manager is smart, approachable, and open to ideas. Training opportunities for employees are excellent.

Cons

My work is project based, which might not be right for everyone, but is perfect for me. There are other roles that are not project based.

"If you like meetings this is the place for you!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I worked at MRA - The Management Association full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent benefits, flexible hours.

Cons

They need to figure out a clear direction. Streamline the entire company, take a hard look at what is really needed and what is not. Just because you have done it for the last 20 years, does not mean you still need to. And ease up the dress code.

Advice to Management

Don't keep doing it the same way as you always have., and you don't need so many layers in management.