MRI Software Engineer Reviews | Glassdoor

MRI Software Chief Executive Officer Patrick Ghilani
Patrick Ghilani

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Low pay, no upward mobility Holding company does its best to keep costs down to try to maximize profit when it sells the company (in 8 reviews)

• Upper and Senior management were spoiled brats (they are gone now as I understand it) (in 5 reviews)

"Very culturally enjoyable"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, learn a lot of senior engineers and get to work some great projects depending on the team. A lot of trust goes to Engineers and opinions can be heard about ideas for current projects.

Cons

Pay is a little low but good for Cleveland area out of school. Some teams are basically only working legacy code and with internal apps from the 80s

"Software Engineer"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Solon, OH

I worked at MRI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Positive Work Environment
    - Great for starting career out of school
    - Relaxed culture

Cons

- Unrealistic work-load
    - Low-Salary, only small-raise with promotions

Advice to Management

If you want people to stay longer, then pay more. I don't think management is interested in paying more however.

3. "Awesome Company in an Awesome City"

I have been working at MRI Software full-time

Pros

Great vacation time and benefits. The enthusiasm and energy of this company is fantastic, and they are definitely making a comeback after some rough years. The owning company cares about the company and its vision.

Cons

The only real downside is that the pay is a little bit low for the area, but it is made up for by their respect of work-life balance and benefits.

Advice to Management

Keep the vision going, and keep up the energy. I love the enthusiasm you have brought to the company.

"Software dev"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Cleveland, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Cleveland, OH

Pros

Decent place to cut your teeth. Treat it as a learning environment.

Cons

Low pay, no upward mobility Holding company does its best to keep costs down to try to maximize profit when it sells the company.

Advice to Management

They won't read this, so no reason to write anything here.

"Software Engineer III"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boardman, OH
    Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Boardman, OH

Pros

Financially healthy, good training, agile environment. There is a lot to be learned, especially for a young programmer. More of a college campus atmosphere.

Cons

Proprietary software ,not a lot of new development work to do. Introverts need not apply.Lots and lots of meetings.

Advice to Management

Strive to keep good employees. MRI seems to train young programmers for their next job. There seems to be a revolving door policy there- always looking for new employees.

"Agile package"

Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer Intern in Solon, OH

Pros

Quite agile. Much freedom in what daily tasks one takes on. Company is large and growing in profitability. A little product knowledge makes you a valuable asset, as there is much employment overturn. Unique opportunites for non-straightforward solutions, 'coding under constraint' problem solving, given efficiency and toolkit constraints.

Cons

The "other side of the agile coin." Managerial pressures and requirements are not nonexistent, but vague. Difficult for employees to know what is expected of them, encouraging a spirit of competitiveness, where staying late and not taking vacation becomes the norm. Job asks much of its employees in terms of identity and commitment. Code base is antique, with little opportunity to 'start from scratch'.

Advice to Management

Provide some structure and stability. Reward innovation and expertise, but do not redefine consistency and the status quo as failure. Get to know employees and keep managers in position for more than a year.

"Great Place to Work!"

Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Solon, OH
    Former Employee - Software Engineer III in Solon, OH

I worked at MRI Software full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

This is a great place to work. Do not listen to the negative reviews on here, they were written by employees who had never held a job anywhere else and didn't know how good they had it. Also a lot of the older reviews on here were written by people that were affected negatively by the sale of the company by Intuit in 2010 and are irrelevant now.

MRI provides a fun and relaxed work environment. Most of the employees are very smart and easy to work with. Some of the big pros at MRI are: great benefits, casual dress code, onsite cafeteria, onsite gym, onsite basketball court, great events such as release and holiday parties, annual bonuses, and many other things. My four years at MRI were great. I made great friends and was given the opportunity to really develop my professional skills.

The only reason I left was because of the commute from my home. If they were closer to where I live I would have stayed for a very long time.

Cons

There are very few cons at MRI. I think the employee rating system could be improved. I feel that too often employees that do less technical work and/or less work in general are rated higher just because they have a manager that gives higher ratings. This is my only real complaint.

Advice to Management

Keep up what you are doing. Others on here can complain all they want but numbers don't lie. The company is very stable and was just purchased by another equity firm for what I speculate was double what the last firm paid five years ago. This means you are doing things right!

"Good place to start a new career"

Former Employee - Software Engineer II in Solon, OH

I worked at MRI Software full-time (More than a year)

Pros

From the perspective of a software developer. There was a heavy front end process to get recent graduates up to speed. It can last anywhere from 3 to 5 months. Mostly consists of classes and learning about the architecture of the 4 different products. It was easy and a great start for my career.

They try very hard to promote a good workplace culture with many different classes (some of which occur during the workday). They also do a spirit week every quarter so you can dress down and have a free lunch and get caught up with all aspects of the business. Everyone is very friendly. Also, there's a onsite basketball court and a small gym.

Cons

It can seem like they are adding unnecessary management positions. Though this didn't affect me.

"Good company with some problems"

Current Employee - Software Engineer III in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

As a software developer in MRI Software, if you want to keep your job and you aren't incompetent, you have pretty good job security. They always need more people. And the other developers tend to be very friendly and helpful. Though it's not perfect, on a day-to-day basis you'll probably be generally happy.

The work isn't terribly difficult. You aren't regularly expected to work long hours or weekends (though it comes up from time to time). The culture is also fairly casual. I've made several friends here.

Cons

The company tends to hire many developers straight out of college and pay them next to nothing. If you need a job (any job), that's fine, but don't expect much in terms of raises or promotions. It's an easy job and if you don't need much money, that's fine, but it's a huge problem overall.

The other major problem in terms of being a developer is recognition and respect from upper management. Let's say your team just completed a major project on time -- your manager (who had little to nothing to do with it) will be recognized before you will. And no matter how much time and effort you've put into a plan of proposed work, a client whining to the CEO will always trump it and you'll have to change everything at the last minute (on their schedule, of course, because your estimate is meaningless).

Advice to Management

Pay developers more. MRI is a great company in many ways, but young developers with bills to pay and careers to nourish will have no choice but to leave you for more money. This leads to a lot of people with very little product knowledge and little in terms of team cohesion (which kills much of the social aspects I valued above).

And maybe have some balls to tell the clients that their demands will have to wait.

"Great Start for a Programmer"

Current Employee - Software Engineer I in Solon, OH

I have been working at MRI Software full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Laid back environment
    - Great training program
    - Easy communication with anyone

Cons

- Low starting salary
    - Open floor can provide too much distraction