MSC Cruises Reviews | Glassdoor

2.5
MSC Cruises CEO Gianni Onorato
Gianni Onorato

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "Travelling and meeting people from all around the world" (in 4 reviews)

• "Growing company & growing business" (in 3 reviews)

Cons
  • "Long working hours and little benefits" (in 4 reviews)

• "They treat everyone in the call center like pets on leashes" (in 4 reviews)

1. "great"

Former Employee - Sales Support in Coral Springs, FL
    Former Employee - Sales Support in Coral Springs, FL

I worked at MSC Cruises (More than a year)

Pros

Great employees to work along aside

Cons

Hard to get what you need

2. "THE MOST UNORGANIZED COMPANY ON THE PLANET"

Current Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Miami, FL
    Current Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Miami, FL

I have been working at MSC Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

One pro is some of the people are nice. Not all, some.

Cons

Systems crash daily. IT tickets are submitted daily for not being able to perform simple things like book a cabin, update cabin number etc. DTS is thee worst system I have ever worked with. It crashes multiple times a day. They expect you to completely notate a call in two different systems in 8 seconds on a system that takes MORE than 8 seconds to load a screen! And you will get in trouble for it! Systems don't just crash in our contact center, systems crash across the board; get multiple calls a day from travel agents and customers who can't manage their bookings for the website and systems at home, which run just as slow and crash just as much. It's frustrating. You're severely micromanaged by managers who don't do their jobs. They're unwilling to help you but will hound you about your call times. Calls wouldn't be so long if systems worked and assistance was readily available. Employees are overworked, underpaid and treated like robots. They request agents take 30 minute lunches on 8 hours shifts. Work here at your own risk. You'll be a slave.

Advice to Management

Be available for agents that need help. Be quicker to help than you are to micromanage and monitor what agents are doing. You could actually help peoples call times by making yourselves available to answer questions and take note of system crashes. Senior managers, you're just as bad. Stop saying you will do things to help agents and never follow through.

"Non Contact Center"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at MSC Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good product, Free coffee, free lunches when work load is high, ok-ish health benefits.

Cons

Condescension and disrespect from top to bottom, values are posted on the walls of the office but not carried out, favoritism, covert discrimination, "sleeping/silent" HR dept. no new employee initiatives ... so many to tell

Advice to Management

Pay attention to the values that were launched and posted on the walls. They are more than words. It's your responsibility to support this "drive" not by mere words of acknowledgement but what you do for the team individually and collectively.

4. "Chaotic"

Former Employee - Cruise Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Cruise Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at MSC Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- There are more boring topics to talk about all day than cruising
    - Growing fast so there are opportunities for advancement

Cons

The systems (namely DTS and CRM) are horrible. You do everything right in DTS and it craps out on you with a random error message that happens just because "that's the way DTS is" and you have start all over booking the cruise again. Meanwhile, customer is on the line and getting impatient. This happens MULTIPLE times a day.

Whoever designed and maintains the MSC Cruises USA website should be fired. Constant problems for MONTHS. The problems get fixed for a day then they are back to broken, or new bugs pop up. Passengers call angry with valid concerns ... I mean, if the company can't operate a viable website in 2018, how can we trust their ships?

When you need a supervisor or team lead you are supposed to stay in your seat and chat them. We get emails reminding us of this protocol. Yet, we chat for help and no one responds for 20 minutes. Am I supposed to make small talk with the passenger for 20 minutes? But if I get out of my seat to fetch help one of two things will happen: 1) No one in management will be around, or will be busy helping someone else, or 2) they look at you sideways for daring to be proactive, then sigh and help you. Hey, I sent you a chat asking for help. You are currently at your desk where you can read said chat. Why has 20 minutes passed and you have not responded, team lead? Meanwhile, the supervisor who watches our hold times is chatting us to refresh the call ... but I'm trying to get help for this poor customer!

So frustrating and unprofessional. No thanks. There are other call centers around here who pay better and are much better run.

"Cruise Consultant"

Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Cruise Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at MSC Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

You can make decent money if you know how to sell and work around the numerous obstacles presented to you in their horrible work environment.

Cons

Extreme lack of communication, difficult to resolve any and all issues, understaffed, poor training of new employees who aren’t given the tools they need to succeed, horrible outdated website that generates an unbelievable amount of calls of frustrated guests and MSC has no intention of fixing, their reservation system is also outdated and as things break down, they are not fixed and it is upon you to find a work around which makes it extremely difficult to do your job timely and competently, no customer service support and they expect the consultants to deal with all these problems quickly with little back up so they can move on to the next call, supervisors aren’t given the authority to resolve simple issues so guests are forced to wait days sometimes weeks for a resolution, difficult to track sales because company does not provide booking/cancellation reports, management is unresponsive including HR. Not a good company to work for if you want employers who are forthcoming, upfront, and respond in a timely fashion. Their attitude is if you don’t like it, there’s the door. Favoritism runs rampant. It is unfortunate because their ships and itineraries are amazing and they could be so much better but they obviously don’t care about any of this.

Advice to Management

clean house and get a website up to par with all the other major cruise lines. have respect for your employees.

"Many growing pains"

Former Employee - Personal Vacation Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Former Employee - Personal Vacation Consultant in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I worked at MSC Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

They are a growing company in the US so you have a semi stable job and maybe a bit of promotion potential if you have a really specific skill set, like IT, web development, etc.

Cons

The management at every level is poor. They treat everyone in the call center like pets on leashes. Constantly on your back to sit down, shut up and answer calls. The company itself is very cheap, they seem to be very controlled by the headquarters in terms of upgrades and such. They won't upgrade the website because it's too expensive, they don't upgrade the reservations system because it's too expensive. They even cut out commissions because they thought we were paid too much. There management is the worst. I worked there for almost 18 months and there was not a day that things worked smoothly. After the VP of Reservations left the company, that was where the bottom dropped out. They don't even give a good cruise discount to employees, just 20%!

Advice to Management

Get the funding you need to create better tools for work. Stop hiring jail wardens as managers and supervisors. Hire more people instead of saving on salaries .

7. "Where do I start?"

Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Cruise Specialist in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at MSC Cruises full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Can’t think of any at this time

Cons

No culture
    Poor pay
    Awful leadership
    Bad systems
    Website is bad and people call non stop complaining about it
    Call center is a mess, poor management since the VP quit, used to be a fun place to work as it seemed people who cared have left to greener pastures
    Not enough staff
    CEO doesn’t care about his employees
    Bad decisions
    No control in making decisions here in the US

Advice to Management

Pay better, fix technology, listen to your employees, stop having good people quit. Stop bringing management from other countries who don’t understand American culture. Everyone is unhappy and nothing gets better. Everyone is looking for jobs.

8. "Could be a better place"

I worked at MSC Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great people. Very challenging. Good opportunities.

Cons

Not a great company. You need connections to step up in your career.

Advice to Management

Delegate more.

"Customer service"

Current Employee - Customer Service in Fort Lauderdale, FL
    Current Employee - Customer Service in Fort Lauderdale, FL

I have been working at MSC Cruises full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

There are no pros to working here I will not lie and make something up run as far away from these people as you can run...... slavery is a step up from this company

Cons

No respect no overtime until they run all the staff out and have no choice favorites are allowed to do what ever they want come in late wear whatever curse be vulgar with no reprimand.

Advice to Management

Clean house including management

10. "Shoppette"

I worked at MSC Cruises full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Money and you get to see the world.

Cons

working ours and lack of days off.