MSC Industrial Direct Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

MSC Industrial Direct CEO Erik Gershwind
Erik Gershwind

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • "nice work environment, good benefits, job security" (in 31 reviews)

• "Employee-focused company, car provided, good work/life balance for sales reps" (in 15 reviews)

Cons

"Above average company to work for."

Current Employee - Vendor Management Specialist in Davenport, IA
    Current Employee - Vendor Management Specialist in Davenport, IA

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Not micro-managed
    Good pay
    Good benefits
    Good work/person life balance

Cons

Developments within the company take a long time to happen.
    It seems, as though, after decisions are made to better the employees, they are halfway done or take longer than when announced.

Advice to Management

Abide by when you say something is going to happen.

2. "Stock Handler"

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Great pay and great benefits

Cons

Poor management, no team player, lazy

3. "Telesales Rep"

Former Employee - TELESALES Representative
    Former Employee - TELESALES Representative

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Decent pay. Flexible hours. Good amount of vacation and paid holidays off. Ability to work to your own pace. Not micro-managed.

Cons

This was by far the worst sales position I have ever been in. There is no measurement of success in the the TSR position. Commission plan not so great. Goals are hard to obtain. Values and culture have pretty much gone out of the window. They continue to lose loyal associates because they don't value them. They rather bring new associates in at $15/hr when senior associates make at least $20 or more. Honestly, no one has real control over how their deck performs. No one is on a level playing field. Managers don't manage, no coaching plan in order for those who are having a difficult time performing. You are also a victim of your own success. Broken system of how accounts are assigned. They dump bad accounts on you from the Outside Reps, do account moves that you have no control over and point the finger at you when the sales are down. They don't take accountability for their faults as a company. No career path nor growth opportunities.

Advice to Management

Start to value your employees more. Sure you can get rid of the higher based employees and bring in someone doing the same job for less, but you get what you pay for. You will have disgruntled employees and and high turnover rate. Good luck with that!

4. "Telesales"

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You have some autonomy to work they you work best

Cons

They do not pay enough to retain top talent

Advice to Management

pay your people

MSC Industrial Direct Response

Aug 6, 2018 – Program Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for your feedback. We definitely want to retain great associates. We analyze our compensation regularly to ensure that we stay competitive, and offer many ways to earn on our Telesales... More

"Not a great company anymore"

I have been working at MSC Industrial Direct full-time

Pros

Work remotely and in a semi-designated territory. Company vehicle.

Cons

Upper management is atrocious. Very hard to make great commissions and maximum payout

Advice to Management

Instead of complaining and punishment how about some advice or insight?!

"VMI representative"

Former Employee - VMI Representative in Houston, TX
    Former Employee - VMI Representative in Houston, TX

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Work independently

On the go - no office environment

Great benefits package

Cons

Outside all day in extreme temperatures and poorly ventilated shops

Pay doesn’t justify the amount of workload that is continuously adding up to the position.

Ungrateful sales team - VMI reps do 100% of the physical labor while sales team will find the tedious things to complain about in the comfort of their homes. Sales team is also known for taking advantage of naive VMI reps. Management tends to side with sales team over VMI reps since they’re the ones driving the profits. VMI reps are treated like bottom-tier peasants, yet management will repeatedly say that we are a “team”, everyone knows the real truth to the matter.

Failing structure in company transition. MSC recently bought out Class C. The integration period has been a horrible experience, especially for those on the Class C side. The MSC associates are treated better with higher pay and more bonus opportunities while the Class C associates are given poorly designed and unattainable incentives as an attempt to justify the inequality of pay.

Management will string you along and tell you what you want to hear to keep you for as long as possible. They know how demanding the job can be but they refuse to acknowledge it to avoid pay increase discussions. MSC is now requiring more work for VMI associates in the next step of the integration, which lead to my volunteer departure.

Favoritism is a huge factor. If you’re buddy with a manager, you will receive less work than your counterparts. On the reverse, if you’re not close with your manager, you will always receive the jobs that no one wants to do. If you complain, you get handed the bad job tasks as well. Incredibly bias environment that no one in upper management cares to correct.

HR does nothing when it comes to complaints, especially when the accused is a big profit driver for the company. A toxic work environment.

Advice to Management

I do not care to provide advice to those who do not care to receive.

"Turns out loyalty and performance don’t mean much"

Former Employee - Senior Manager
    Former Employee - Senior Manager

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Historically solid performing company with loyal team members and strong direction. Company culture used to be it’s strong suit. Fair assessments and equal treatment.

Cons

Company culture - once it’s hallmark - changed drastically. Loyalty and sacrifice no longer valued. Despite ten + years of high performance and stellar reviews. Ethics are not highly valued. Despite working with HR extensively exceptions to core standards ignored if you were connected.

Advice to Management

You’ve become just another employer. You continue to lose loyal associates who are witnessing the deterioration of the founding culture of the company. I don’t think Sid would approve of the company’s direction.

"Pros and Cons (just like anything else)"

Former Employee - Senior Manager in Davidson, NC
    Former Employee - Senior Manager in Davidson, NC

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

For the most part, the people are great to work with at MSC. My position within the company allowed me to have had the pleasure of working with individuals at the highest levels down to the lowest levels. This have provided me with insights from all associates.

The pay is fair, the bonus is generally fair but not so much the allocations between executives and lower levels (changes annually) and the stock Comp is fair (same comment about allocations though).

Cons

Some of the latest additions to the executive staff have left me questioning my continued support as a shareholder.

Lack of insight/support from some of the previously mentioned executives (this comment is intentionally general in nature).

Lack of appropriate technology tools and funding to get the tools to effectively get the job done (again, this was specific to my role and not a general comment about the entire organization because MSC does invest in tools across the board).

If you’re searching for a job here, be careful if you are a person who needs to feel valued and wants accolades in your job. Not so much of that goes on at MSC. Certainly not in the area of the business I worked.

Advice to Management

If there is one thing I can recommend it’s listen to your associates. It’s one thing to speak a big game and another to actually go out and do it.

"Inventory management specialist"

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

SOME in senior management are professional and sincere

Cons

Micro management. Make the numbers or your out.

Advice to Management

Reduce overhead

10. "Good company. Solid values"

Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Outside Sales Account Executive in Dallas, TX

I worked at MSC Industrial Direct full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

MSC Industrial will provide all the tools needed for a sales rep to be successful. They have quality products, excellent service and committed to serving the customer.

Cons

The manager will occasionally switch the focus of product emphasis due to corporate office pressure. No different than other companies though.

MSC Industrial Direct Response

May 29, 2018 – Program Manager, Talent Acquisition

Thank you for taking the time to post a review, we appreciate it.