MSCI Reviews | Glassdoor

MSCI President, CEO, and Director Henry A. Fernandez
Henry A. Fernandez

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • Senior management is not really up to the job (in 35 reviews)

• work life balance can be challenging if you need US overlap (in 16 reviews)

1. "Fine, but you won't fall in love with it"

I have been working at MSCI full-time

Pros

Decent pay. Flat organization. Nice NY office space.

Cons

Very little company culture. Seems to seek the cheapest labor and makes for global teams that are difficult to manage and work with.

Advice to Management

Don't try to do the bare minimum to make employees happy and create a fun office culture.

2. "Typical Corporate America"

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at MSCI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Average salary with some flexibility for family life, only if you are on the "favorite" list.

Cons

Very segmented with a high-school clic mentality.

Overall compensation structure has changed three times in the last three-years where there is no clarity in future direction.

Overall office environment is dull at best where favoritism is prevalent.

MSCI Response

Mar 7, 2017 – Executive Director, Americas Recruitment Lead

MSCI has grown and evolved our business since we became a public company, however our approach to compensation remained rooted in our investment banking legacy. We have redesigned our compensation... More

"MSCI - Top Heavy"

Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Asia, TX
    Former Employee - Sales Specialist in Asia, TX

I worked at MSCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues and team mates. Smart people too.
    Feel like a diverse international firm.
    Global team work and collaborate closely together. Fun too.

Cons

For a firm of this size, the number of MD is quite shockingly high. Many senior persons, especially external new hires, treat this firm as their retirement job.
    Also tend to hire senior management externally rather than promote from within, which is not very motivating for staff who have been around for years.

MSCI Response

Nov 29, 2016 – Executive Director, Americas Recruitment Lead

Thank you for caring enough to give us your feedback. MSCI does have some of the smartest people in the industry and we pride ourselves for having a collaborative work environment. Only 2% of our... More

"Unnecessarily complicated organization"

Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Senior Analyst in New York, NY

I worked at MSCI full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The salary and benefits are within industry standards. Flexible work schedule within department. The people are generally friendly.

Cons

There are way too many levels of management and trying to work through any project is overly complicated and often results in wasted time due to poor communication and conflicting objectives cross departmentally. No one seems to see the overall picture in what the expected result/impacts will be, everyone works in their own silo and implements changes with little or no consideration for downstream/upstream impacts.

Advice to Management

Cut some of the red tape, actually talk to each other, listen, and collaborate on project plans.

"Sr Associate"

Pros

Nice benefits
    Nice people to work with
    Ok salary

Cons

They used to let people work from home which was good, but not anymore.
    Lack of direction. Upper management Lack of communication
    Management constantly changing thus way of working constantly changing
    Bureaucracy procedures
    work overloaded
    when someone leaves they dont fill in the position but they give more work to current employees
    no life-work balance
    No extra time paid

Advice to Management

I've been in the company for over 5 years and I've seen so many changes on that time, I loved the company and my job, and never mind of spending extra time (never paid off). But, every year the same, new management and starting over to have exposure and show the new one that you are a valuable asset of the company, In 5 years I've had change of management, over 10 different managers who always come and destroy what the previous one created and starts from scratch. Then I’ve seen so many valuable people leaving because it is so hard to get anything done due to bureaucracy processes or because new management does not value all the after hours work, and force them to come in a fix schedule AND work at 3 am or over weekends, holidays or whenever they are called. Then hard working, key people, leave and they don’t hire someone with experience to fill the spot, they only give current employees and no training, or they hire temps and leave all responsability to current employees
    People leaving because they have more than 2 managers, and they are all looking for a different objectives
    Summary, too much to do and lack of resources

"No Clear Direction"

Former Employee - Vice President Client Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Client Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at MSCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Pretty flexible about working from home, or taking time-off.

Office camaraderie is pretty good at most locations.

Firm dips their toe into different areas of finance from Regulation, Factor Investing, Risk Management, etc. which may be good for someone who is just beginning their career.

Cons

Very unclear direction or strategy. Firm has a reputation for not being true to their word with clients.

Culture of convenience rather than correctness. Product roadmap is unpredictable, and changes on a whim.

Very top heavy. Upper management believes the company and employees operate in a certain way which is usually completely different than what really goes on day-to-day.

People are not usually held accountable for errors or mistakes. Many team leaders avoid conflict so a lot gets shoved under the rug.

Advice to Management

Do not put people in leadership positions who don't belong there. Just because someone has been at the company for a long time doesn't mean they should be leading a team.

Should hold people more accountable for mistakes or errors, which can be done constructively and professionally.

Learn to take advantage of people's natural talents/skills. Don't put people with technical skills in sales roles or vice versa.

7. "MSCI"

Pros

Not a huge firm, most people are friendly, interesting product range

Cons

Too many product lines, corporate structure is very heavy, very political

"50-50"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, all manager are easily accessible, Good work life balance

Cons

laid bank attitude, bureaucracy type processes, no clarity from top management, CXOs keep changing very often. Stability at the top is missing

Advice to Management

Get the vintage employees up to the market in terms of compensation. You hire new employees at higher cost with less experience. Disparity in compensation is evident.

"Like all big firms in financial industry."

I worked at MSCI full-time

Pros

It is a very established firm and has many mature products. The client base is huge. There are a lot of opportunities to learn and to grow.

Cons

Acquisitions once in a few year, and there will be rounds of integration and reorganization afterwards. High turnover. Too risk averse and cost concerned.

"Old Culture is Dead."

Current Employee - Senior Associate - Sales in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Senior Associate - Sales in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI full-time

Pros

Good work life balance can still be achieved if you're hitting targets. Friendly and smart people work here.

Cons

Unattainable sales targets. They are bleeding asset managers try in a time where active management fees are shrinking. They expect 3+ years of double digit growth but they haven't created anything new or innovative in years

Advice to Management

Focus on your employees more. We've doubled the stock price in under a year. Stop being greedy and reinvest in the culture you once had.