MSCI Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 11, 2017

Full-timePart-time

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
Cons
  • work life balance can be challenging if you need US overlap (in 16 reviews)

• Senior management is not really up to the job (in 33 reviews)

"No Clear Direction"

Former Employee - Vice President Client Consultant in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President Client Consultant in New York, NY

I worked at MSCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good work-life balance. Pretty flexible about working from home, or taking time-off.

Office camaraderie is pretty good at most locations.

Firm dips their toe into different areas of finance from Regulation, Factor Investing, Risk Management, etc. which may be good for someone who is just beginning their career.

Cons

Very unclear direction or strategy. Firm has a reputation for not being true to their word with clients.

Culture of convenience rather than correctness. Product roadmap is unpredictable, and changes on a whim.

Very top heavy. Upper management believes the company and employees operate in a certain way which is usually completely different than what really goes on day-to-day.

People are not usually held accountable for errors or mistakes. Many team leaders avoid conflict so a lot gets shoved under the rug.

Advice to Management

Do not put people in leadership positions who don't belong there. Just because someone has been at the company for a long time doesn't mean they should be leading a team.

Should hold people more accountable for mistakes or errors, which can be done constructively and professionally.

Learn to take advantage of people's natural talents/skills. Don't put people with technical skills in sales roles or vice versa.

2. "MSCI"

Pros

Not a huge firm, most people are friendly, interesting product range

Cons

Too many product lines, corporate structure is very heavy, very political

3. "Interesting"

Pros

- Working at MSCI offer some flexibility to work from home.
    - The work is interesting and you will get the chance to learn a lot about the finance industry

Cons

- The only cons I have is that the benefit package is very sub par compared to other firms I worked for in the past.

- work load can be huge at times but that is every job

Advice to Management

I actually really like management.The only thing I will comment on is remember the goalis "One MSCI" I have witnessed too many times inter department querels.

"50-50"

Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI (Less than a year)

Pros

Good work environment, all manager are easily accessible, Good work life balance

Cons

laid bank attitude, bureaucracy type processes, no clarity from top management, CXOs keep changing very often. Stability at the top is missing

Advice to Management

Get the vintage employees up to the market in terms of compensation. You hire new employees at higher cost with less experience. Disparity in compensation is evident.

"Tired same old stuff"

Pros

Very little when change is severe and not managed. Occasional high moments when helping a client really solve a problem

Cons

Remote management. When the cat's away, the mice play. So ya get a disorganized client process. A lot of stop and start with little direction or help from senior staff. No great rewards either. Ya get a lot of competitive project building. So folks don't always get what they need to move along a project. Stalled progress and very little trust. And then you get a very scary (moody) corporate services upper management on the regional side. Fits and starts. Lazy and tricky. Protected by parties and entitlement. It's never a great ambiance to work in.

Advice to Management

visit the offices more and keep training the managers, even if they can't be trained.

"Executive Director"

Current Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Executive Director in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great opportunity to work for a global company that is an industry leader. Lots of opportunities to interact with co-workers professionally and socially. Healthcare/401K/Vacation benefits are outstanding!

Cons

From my perspective, things are pretty good! If l had to pick one con, I would say I don't love the "open" work environment (I much prefer my own office).

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work!

"Top Tier Company and People"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MSCI full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

As an employee of MSCI for over three years, I think the best thing about the firm is the varied experiences our environment offers. I have been given the opportunities to own projects from start to finish and to work in areas/functions I had not previously had experience. I feel my opinion is valued and matters because I am converse with senior leaders every day as a NY employee.

I also appreciate the opportunity I have to interact with peers around the global who are leading minds in the index and analytics space. Our products win awards and are valued by our clients and I am proud to continue to play a part in this.

Cons

There is nothing that comes to mind.

MSCI Response

Jun 29, 2016 – Executive Director, Americas Recruitment Lead

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your experience at MSCI. We are very pleased to hear you are enjoying your work and that you are taking advantage of the opportunities the firm is... More

"Support"

I have been working at MSCI full-time

Pros

Had a good leadership which encouraged learning and development of employees. You get to learn Pure politics, learn soft skills to survive in tough environment. If you work in Norman OK then you get all kinds of video games, good restaurants. Nothing much at your desk.

Cons

You are joining a hood gang, if you are not part of OK(Norman). you will be suppressed and exploited. Client is last to be considered. You have to be scared of everyone, your opinion does not matter. If you loose a client, you are fine. If you comment of wrong doing of Norman gang, then you are in trouble.

Advice to Management

Make up your mind, if you keep changing your mind. Organization get disrupted. People just talk on how to survive and which group should they part of

"No value of Tech Talents, experienced people are leaving every month"

Former Employee - Senior Associate in Oklahoma City, OK
    Former Employee - Senior Associate in Oklahoma City, OK

I worked at MSCI full-time

Pros

Great company if you are the share holder or if you are the client.

Cons

If you are a tech person then you will be in the bottom of the food chain. Most of the experienced and talented developers have left and leaving every month.

They are also slowly killing the old culture that made me pick this company when I was looking for a job.

Some senior upper management officers are biased against women devs.

Advice to Management

Stop treating the lower level employees as Walmart treats the store employees. These are the people who are building your product that you sell.

MSCI Response

Aug 25, 2016 – Executive Director, Americas Recruitment Lead

MSCI is at its root, a Content, Platform and Technology company. In support of this we have a robust and aggressive Technology strategy which has been wholly endorsed by the Executive Committee and... More

"Corporate Confusion"

Pros

Some really good people working there, trying to corral the mess that needs to be straightened out after most of the original talent got chased off by corporate culture changes.
    If you're good, you could become a rock star. Beware the dangers that come with that.

Cons

CEO pushing so hard for cost containment that it is hollowing out the company talent pool. Operates like a small company still trying to make it, not a corporate powerhouse that the marketing slicks show.

Advice to Management

Talent is not a commodity, and you cannot turn commodity employees into talent overnight.
    Invest for the long run.