MSDSonline Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

3.4
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Glenn D. Trout

Pros
  • A great place to start right out of college and begin sales career (in 6 reviews)

• Great place to start your career (in 9 reviews)

Cons
  • Sales reps have no independence and must include management on every deal (in 7 reviews)

• A lot of turnover (typical with any other telesales entry level position) (in 5 reviews)

1. "Account Executive"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at MSDSonline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Great place to start your career
    -Opportunities to learn and grow
    -Young, fun atmosphere

Cons

-Nice-to-have vs. need-to-have product
    -Once federal regulation dates pass, it will be even harder to sell.
    -Compensation is low

Advice to Management

-Keep acquiring smaller companies to bolster the overall offerings of MSDSonline

"Builds great foundation"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I enjoy working at this company and have constant support from upper management. The slightest deals that are won are recognized and hard work is recognized.

Cons

Little career growth, more growth and opportunities need to be created for make this a career not a temporary position.

Advice to Management

Get ideas from your employees on how to create more opportunity. Sometimes the people with the best ideas are the ones who do the day to day work and know what opportunities would make them stay.

"Great place to work, if you actually want to work"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great company, fun atmosphere helps to make work feel less like work.
    Management team cares and is doing a lot of great stuff to try and make the experience better.
    You can make good money if work hard. There is a direct correlation between effort and pay.
    There has been a notable reduction in turnover. Only the non-performers are turning over at this point.

Cons

Working with negative, immature people. The business model is to hire recent grads, but with that comes a lot of baggage. I am glad some of the negative people that seem to post on this site have left as they bring others down. They don't hit their numbers and then want to blame everyone except themselves for their performance. I think Management is putting pressure on them and that is why you're seeing some of them leave and post negative things, because they don't want to work and expect to have everything given to them.
    It's a great company and if you're interested in working here reach out to someone at the company or come in and meet some of the people, tour the facility and get a balanced perspective. Don't just rely on the passive aggressive comments of a few former non-performers who profess that pay and conditions were so horrible, yet they stayed for 3+ years. Life is too short, if you don't like your situation take responsibility and and change it.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you're doing. The territory changes you've made help and the team appreciates the many little things that are being done to try and improve the department, company and roles. Only other thing I'd say is get rid of toxic people as quick as possible. I also think you should look at Enterprise accounts and perhaps share those with others not on the Enterprise team. People like me could handle them, but don't get to work them because I am not on Enterprise.

"Disclaimer"

I worked at MSDSonline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good stepping stone towards a career in sales. Employees are provided an environment in which they can learn from their accomplishments and mistakes.

Cons

The sales floor is essentially a call center where the amount of calls is just as important as the amount of closed deals. Managers are extensions of the VP and director. Opinions and recommendations (from managers and sales reps) that are not well received by the VP/director are ignored. Sales reps have no independence and must include management on every deal. Talent on the sales floor has diminished due to lack of advancement and pay. Only a handful of employees are truly set up for success. These employees have prime territories and receive upwards of 90% of the profitable Inbound leads. The distribution of these leads is unfair and not determined by merit. Instead, managers play favorites and reward reps who have been with the company for too long. I was the best rep in my region and treated like a new hire by management. Why I was with the company for nearly 3 years is a shame on myself.

Advice to Management

Take advice from the outside consultants that you brought in last year. Why would you pay for their opinions only to completely disregard them? Keep playing favorites with your prodigy employees as they will be the only ones to post good reviews for the company.

"Kick start your sales career"

Current Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great work place and culture. Great opportunity to gain an entry level sales position out of college and succeed in the sales world.

Cons

Must be eager to work your tail off

"Gone the Wrong Direction"

I worked at MSDSonline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

-Flexible work schedule
    -Work/life balance is decent
    -An easy place to make work friends

Cons

-Poor pay compared to the rest of the industry
    -Growth is a function of how well your liked at the director level
    -Can be difficult to get time with the director(s) unless they take a liking to you
    -Pay is inconsistent, you might have double the seniority, a greater job title and still be making less than someone else
    -Lots of egotistical attitude in management
    -Confusingly unbalanced as far as opportunity and structure goes
    -Far greater emphasis on hiring new then retaining talent-it was publicly mentioned by management that they're expecting a 30% turnover in one year alone
    -Easy place to get burnt out at. Dial, dial, dial.

Advice to Management

Make it fair again. Everyone used to be happy for one another when deals were closed. Now it gets broadcast on a screen similar to a gold start in a second grade class room. No reciprocity for others when deals are closed because it likely means it was an in-bound deal that was mostly luck, or it was a shady deal that they snaked from someone else (this happens without repercussion).

"2016 Update"

Current Employee - Sales Team in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Sales Team in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Reading some of these previous reviews on the company and having been with the organization for 5+ years, I'm shocked to see some of these comments; most more negative than positive. I've seen our Sales Team grow from one market to five and 34 to 150+ reps, which is exciting and a true testament to the company's growth. During this time, I have seen the reps who stay dedicated to the job and sales process do extremely well, while the others that are so focused on what the other rep is doing, or what account the other rep closed, lose steam and fizzle out. As a note, we're selling 3 year contracts, not monthly orders of snacks, so the close does take time. It's not about how is everyone else doing, it's about how you're doing and if you can focus on that, you'll be fine. We have been getting better at having our Sales Team events be focused on Team Building, and while drinking is involved sometimes, it's not as huge a focus as other reviews have stated. In addition, the company revamped it's pay structure and you're getting paid residuals for contracts sold last year, along with a higher salary.

Cons

The biggest con about working at the company is staying away from the rotten apples and letting Management handle them. Our Management Team is provided the resources and tools needed to address, so stay focused on you and you'll do fine.

Advice to Management

Keep your focus on developing & coaching your reps. While it's helpful to remind them of how many calls they made since 8am, trust them to take that on and focus your time on how you can help them schedule more demonstrations off of those calls.

"Ship is Sinking"

Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Sales in Chicago, IL

I worked at MSDSonline full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Fun atmosphere, nice office, and lax dress code. The market used to be wide open but is now very saturated.

Cons

Absolutely no forward thinking especially on the sales leadership team. Very reactive with raises. Best way to get one is to threaten to leave. Also a huge inequality with inbound leads.

Advice to Management

Listen to your people and put your big egos aside. What made the company special is looking out for each other and a team mentality. Right now it's very cutthroat and no collaboration at all.

9. "Good company with some drawbacks"

Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Account Executive in Chicago, IL

I worked at MSDSonline full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Ability to learn quickly and grow as a sales professional. Generally nice individuals.

Cons

Culture is unprofessional in terms of how people treat their work. Young environment. If you are not put on a national sales team you can struggle. Everyone is given a territory but if a mid level account is owned or affiliated with a larger company then the national team gets all of theses big lucrative deals. Employees operate in groups, similar to that of a high school.

Advice to Management

Foster a more professional culture. Develop new process of managing accounts for new employees .

"Sales Executive"

Current Employee - Sales Executive in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MSDSonline full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Laid back, fun culture
    Great training for entry level employees

Cons

Cold calling gets boring, hard to stay motivated each day