MTV Europe Reviews | Glassdoor

MTV Europe President, Viacom Media Networks Doug Herzog
Doug Herzog

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Young organisation"

Former Employee - Research Analyst in Amsterdam (Netherlands)
    Former Employee - Research Analyst in Amsterdam (Netherlands)

I worked at MTV Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is known for its dynamic culture with many young employees. Strong focus on collective results. Open, diverse and inclusive.

Cons

Less to no possibilities to grow further, no budget for external courses. No sufficient focus on innovation and new services.

2. "Creative Designer"

Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in London, England (UK)
    Current Contractor - Graphic Designer in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MTV Europe as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone gets along with each and are a great team. Creative environment and a real sense that the staff are important and well looked after

Cons

Needs to be a clearer idea on what is cool and what the youth actually want, rather than just focusing on the ratings all the time.

Advice to Management

Keep trusting us and supporting us to do the best we can.

3. "MTV Europe"

Former Employee - Technical Manager in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Technical Manager in London, England (UK)

I worked at MTV Europe full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Flexibility around roles and work types.

Cons

Long periods away from home can happen from time to time

4. "graphic designer freelance"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

Pros

good location, good parties, nice people. nice place to work.

Cons

most people I met were not really qualified for their positions.
    most people working there got the position because of knowing a friend or relative who already worked there.
    They mostly hire good looking girls, for any position.
    job interviews are done by people who are not qualified to interview. This is why so many positions are given to the wrong people.
    you need to stay for a long time to get promoted.
    the salaries are not very high.

Advice to Management

don't hire your relatives or friends, bring in people who are really qualified.

5. "Fairly good"

I worked at MTV Europe full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Decent salaries, paid on time.

Cons

Limited perception on digital media innovation, very hard to be promoted in executive/manager positions.

Advice to Management

Encourage lower employees to participate in creative projects and brainstorming meetings. Do not bury ideas that may be useful

6. "It's not cool, its just badly paid and disorganised"

Current Employee - Manager
    Current Employee - Manager

I have been working at MTV Europe full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Some interesting projects, but constant changes to the senior Euro team and decisions ultimately from the US mean it's always disorganized.

Cons

Pay and benefits are low. Company thinks by working for a brand name, you don't need to be paid competitively

Advice to Management

Stick with a plan / brand/ support brand with editorial

7. "Relaxed Environment, lot's of perks, limited advancement in progressing, both personal and company"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in London, England (UK)

I have been working at MTV Europe full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

MTV International (Europe) does indeed have a relaxed, fun culture, there's alot of young, vibrant, keen staff members who love the idea of the brand and want it to regain it's glory days. People work hard, but maintain a good fun atmosphere. There are great perks, (us parent company so summer fridays, lot's of events etc) particularly in certain more entertainment facing teams.

Cons

Downsides to working in MTV are that as a company it's very reactive to the commercial media and entertainment landscape, particularly in terms of the core bread and butter, supporting music videos (and in turn new music artists). Outside of the immediate steering committees and senior staff it's very hard for a younger staff member to have their voice heard. MTV is an old machine and old machines need updating and re-modelling, sadly that's very hard to do when when you have the old factory worker at the helm. Salary and personal advancements are limited, pay isn't relative to the amount you work.

Advice to Management

Invest in digital media, particularly reporting back-end stats, data, even tx dates, so the company can move into the year in which we operate. Less senior council committees, steering groups, and perhaps put into place a bi-annual open forum, where manager and below staff are genuinely encouraged to give back ideas and feedback.

"MTV is of of 3 employers I would like to work for in the world."

Current Employee - Ops Manager Digital Media in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Ops Manager Digital Media in London, England (UK)

Pros

Flexible work environment. As long as you are competent and do your job management is flexible. I have enjoyed working at MTV Europe and continue to do so.

Cons

With most of our industry there tends to be re-orgs at least once a year. This is the same for MTV Europe. Sometimes it is due to sheer luck who gets to be let off and who gets to stay. Unfortunately it is not always people who are NOT competent and professional.

Advice to Management

Move towards New Media technology quicker and with more passion.

"The first year is fun, but there's a lot of pain to come afterwards"

Current Employee - Web Producer in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Web Producer in London, England (UK)

Pros

Looks good on your CV. Good name recognition. Other people seem impressed when I say I work for MTV. Has the potential to have good perks, i.e. going to the European Music Awards or the Video Music Awards. The vending machines are subsidised. The people you work with can be great. Almost every day I go into work I have a laugh. If you have a really brilliant idea there is the potential to take it far within the company. Occasionally there is free swag; T-shirts, hoodies, hats, books, videos, CDs, DVDs, etc. If you're young and just out of school than it can be a great place to work.

Cons

You work really long hours. There's a bad work / life balance especially if you're single. Somehow the married folk have figured out how to leave the office at 6:00PM on the dot. There seems to be a round of redundancies (layoffs) every year. Out of the past 11 years there have been 9 rounds of redundancies. Each redundancy has negatively affected team morale. You don't need to be that smart to work at MTV so frequently you find yourself working with idiots. Senior management is out of touch with the majority of employees. There is an abundance of red tape. Often there is more work than staff who can accommodate it. Hiring freelancers to help with the workload is impossible during the current hiring freeze, even if there's budget to do so. MTV's freelance rates are low compared to other companies. You are expected to dedicate your life to your job which could be fine if MTV were just as dedicated to us.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees more. Find out what we really do. Find out the things we have to go through to get stuff done.