MUSIC Tribe "uli behringer" Reviews | Glassdoor

MUSIC Tribe Employee Reviews about "uli behringer"

Updated 12 Sep 2019

Found 121 reviews

1.7
MUSIC Tribe CEO Uli Behringer (no image)
Uli Behringer
Pros
  • "Global company with some good products in a fun industry(in 11 reviews)

• "The great people that manage to keep smiling in a difficult environment(in 8 reviews)

Cons
  • "Music Group employees because the company has only one part-time HR/admin person for all of the U(in 18 reviews)

• "I should add, I have never met Uli Behringer in person or via VC, but I have felt the brunt of his lack of vision first hand(in 15 reviews)

Reviews about "uli behringer"

Return to all Reviews

"Working here is an exercise in futility."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Bothell, WA

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Benefits and renumeration are fair, although if your particular deal includes any kind of bonus make sure the terms are clearly defined and iron-clad. The staff is fantastic considering the atmosphere - a way better class of employees than this company deserves.

Cons

Where do I begin? All you need to do to understand how bad things are at Behringer (Music Group is the parent company) is to read the other reviews. The Bothell office has over 300% turnover for starters, and is down from 60+ employees to just over 10. But even before the mass layoffs, this company was a mess. The IT stuff is terrible, but it's only the tip of the iceberg (and frankly I think it's brought up too... much when there are much bigger problems). First, if you're looking for a job for Music Group in the US, I would advise strongly against it - especially the Seattle office (all indications are it's going to be closed). Since the main operational parts of the company are all in Asia or Europe, working from the US means terrible communications by default. This wouldn't be so bad if communication was a priority among the executive staff, but it's not. The executive staff that remain (because Uli hasn't fired them or forced them out yet) are so busy trying to keep up with the impossible amount of work they face that only very high level communications get priority. Unfortunately this usually means any approvals (for anything from budgets or advertising plans to box art) are delayed - sometimes by weeks or months. More often than not the project will be forgotten about until it gets on Uli's radar, at which point someone will get chewed out for not delivering something - only to find out that the work has been finished for weeks and is waiting for approval. The CEO emphasizes process in everything that's done, yet he is the first person to break that process whenever it suits him. And the processes in place are in most cases outdated or clearly insane. Because each office in the company runs like a silo, each one has a different way of doing things - and no one is looking at the big picture and making sure the process that's implemented is logical for all offices involved. It's an organizational disaster. Music Group doesn't advertise. Period. The CEO's idea of advertising is posting in forums and Facebook. Typically you'd expect a company of this size to spend somewhere between 5-10% of its revenue on advertising. Behringer spends MUCH LESS than that and things are getting worse, with savage cutbacks being put in place on an already non-existent budget. Sadly, this is only a small issue when you consider the next problem. Music Group doesn't manufacture or distribute. What good is advertising if your call to action can't be acted upon by your customers? Behringer used to be a staple brand in any music store you'd see. Now you'd be hard pressed to find it in any brick and mortar store - even the bigger chains. Music Group's relationships with its sales partners are miserable, and it's a problem when your brand is notoriously hard to work with. When you combine that with the fact that Music Group manufactures "just in time" and at bare minimum quantities, product supply becomes another headache for retailers that have to explain to customers that product X is sold out. This has led to brands like Alto stepping into the vacuum left by Music Group and dominating product categories Behringer used to dominate. Nowdays, if it isn't an X32 (a popular mixer), you're probably going to have to order it online. While I'm touching on sales, let me bring something else up. Music Group's revenue is primarily based on a handful of SKUs now - the X32 mixer chief among them. The X32 has been a runaway hit for the company no doubt. But its success is based on the fact that there isn't another competent digital mixer in that price range. With the obvious success of the X32 since its release a little over a year ago, how stable do you think that revenue can be - even in the short term? With the negative brand equity issues Behringer has (just do a search if you don't already know) combined with the sales and manufacturing issues outlined above, all another company needs to do is offer a similar product at a similar price point. The picture is bleak for Music Group, and the best thing that could happen for the company is for the current CEO and owner (Uli Behringer) to step down and let someone who knows what they're doing run the company. Sadly after having spent years with them, I feel Uli would rather go down with the ship than let someone else come in and bring Music Group to its full potential. Above all else, Uli knows best. As a Music Group employee, you are set up to fail from the moment you join the company. The scope of your responsibilities will change radically, you'll lose any support that's been put in place to help you, and you'll eventually either drown or be fired for not accomplishing your impossible goals.

Advice to Management

Hire a CEO and stop destroying your own success. You have a chance to build something that will be a legacy, and it's sickening to see you wielding it as a prop for your ego. You treat the company like other rich men treat their exotic cars or art collections. The problem with that attitude is that you have thousands of people who rely on you to act responsibly.

MUSIC Tribe2013-12-02

March 17, 2017HR Manager

Have a look at www.facebook.com/groups/MyMUSICTribe to learn more about our culture and contact our people directly to get firsthand and honest feedback.

"This was the worst experience in the Audio and MI Business i’ve ever had! A truely unacceptable nightmare!"

Former Employee - Anonymous in Willich

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Some nice products, nice team with awesome co-workers - all in the same rotten Tribe boat driven by fear to get fired immediately. The best decision in my life was to leave and "Hit Refresh" for inner peace!

Cons

This was the most terrible experience in my long professional career and i work in this business since decades! Stay away from this company if your mental health is important to you. If you see photos of happy and smiling "Tribers" on their website you'll need to see the truth - please keep in mind that this company is operated by the sociopathic dictator Uli Behringer himself and his paranoid visions and... policies which he changes nearly on the daily basis. You will receive new fancy Job Titles in his bloomy Tribe Wording every week with no direction and no clear descriptions and you can imagine that they're useless for your professional life. This so called "Leader" is not able to specify clear and healthy directions for his company. You can smell the bad atmosphere and fear to get fired in all teams. There is only one option to survive neither to follow the Tribe Guru himself with no exceptions or you will get fired straight away. Micromanagement Leader Mr. Uli Behringer dictates how employees have to work, how to communicate and which tools to use, how to isolate from your previous business contacts, how to speak with your long time friends in this business or even better by shutting your mouth. Mr. Behringer himself quoted and refers many times to Simon Sinek, Satya Nadella and other inspiring personalities in his messages and visionary empty words but it seems that he didn't get the glue of deeper meaning of those quotes. There are loads of terms in UBs Tribe speech which he is using: The most used term for laying off people is called "Changes". Whenever you read this in his monologues to the team there will be a bunch of employees fired in this week! This work environment is high toxic for your mental health and will also affect your private life. If you see some positive reviews about this company you can be sure that they're fake.

Advice to Management

Real Innovators, Leaders, respectable CEOs and Top Managers are taking care of the most valuable goods they have: their employees. Do not speak in empty words with no substance. Be "Employee Obsessed" and support them to grow instead of recommending Google to learn about serval topics! Your Music Tribe Academy is useless and waste of time. Stop playing with humans life and their health!

MUSIC Tribe2019-05-27

"Toxic culture + Incompetent Owner (Uli)"

Former Employee - Senior Management in Zhongshang

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than a year

Pros

Honestly nothing positive at all about Music Group…or Music Tribe as it’s called now!

Cons

My Advice: 1. Read the comments on Glassdoor 2. Pretend these reviews are for a product you want to buy 3. Then ask yourself the question, would you still want to buy this product? So, if you are considering joining then do your homework and try to utilize your own LinkedIn network to gain further insight into this company. And if your role is as senior management ensure you have a strong exit clause included... in your contract. The root cause of all the problem = Uli Behringer. I experienced the hiring and firing of 6 HR Managers/Directors within 1.5 years, never have I experienced such incompetence from a CEO. All hired and fired by Uli, well I say fired by Uli but the man is a coward, what he does is to get others to do the firing for him so that he can look like the poor innocent CEO whom just empowers his employees. A few points regarding the little man (Uli): 1. Extremely paranoid 2. Evil and vindictive 3. Behaves like a toddler 4. Suffers from God complex

Advice to Management

My advice to top management is “leave as quickly as you can and don’t look back”

MUSIC Tribe2019-05-25

"RTFR before you even consider to join."

I worked at MUSIC Tribe

Pros

Great colleagues. The only best thing i could have in this company.

Cons

Uli Behringer. Himself,truely is the root of cons. Poor planning. Poor strategy. Changes his mind nearly every seconds without any strategy to carry out. Gives vague goals. Micromanage better than a Mother. Imagine a ceo and a owner of a group of companies has nothing better to do than setting the format how a email should be sent. Does not appreciate people effort. Failed to identify people's effort. As a owner,... failed to communicate with his people. Throw temper like a toddler. Action always go opposite of what he talks. More importantly, he is cruel, not considerate, one day you come to work and the next thing you know you are let go. Don't have the balls to communicate face to face with the people he let go, even those who have work for him more than 10 years. Hired some idiot as coo to do the dirty work.

Advice to Management

Seriously if there is any middle management left, i would advise you to leave. This toddler is not worth anyone's time. Advise to anyone thinking or considering to join...if you want a boss that say you are just a rubbish, just go ahead. If you can tolerate no respect just go ahead.

MUSIC Tribe2019-04-02

"Run by a visionless dictator"

Current Employee - Customer Solutions Manager in Victoria, BC

I have been working at MUSIC Tribe full-time for less than a year

Pros

Pretty decent exposure to the MI industry. I have no qualms with my immediate co-workers.

Cons

RUN don't walk from this company. If you're considering working here I'm a younger guy and a new hire so I thought I might be immune to, or at least not get the brunt of, the politics mentioned in other reviews. Boy, was I wrong. My main responsibility has been to do research and spec new products, and have hit resistance on even the most mundane of business cases. This company DOES NOT innovate. They like using... that word, and I don't think it means what they think it means. I should add, I have never met Uli Behringer in person or via VC, but I have felt the brunt of his lack of vision first hand. Every product has to pass under his nose, and if it isn't approved by him, well say goodbye to months of research.

Advice to Management

Actually Empower your employees to be Life Changing. That, or buy a dictionary.

MUSIC Tribe2018-04-12

April 23, 2018HR Manager

"This is the worst company you can imagine"

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than a year

Pros

there is no pros working for this company !

Cons

Uli Behringer (the CEO of Music) is one of the biggest psycho I've ever met. He has no emphatic for people and has no glue how to tread employees nor business partners. I now have a bit of distance to the company and have read all the positive reviews her. They are all written by Uli himself. don't belief even on of this postings. In this company no-one has a future except you're a high grade programmer or developer... and you're not seeing Uli at all. Uli is driven to be the king of audio business und his only intention is to beat Harmann and CO. On this way you can follow him or you will be kicked out if you dare to question this game. This man has too much money and he love conquest and destruction at any cost. Therefore he has created some silly departments terms like "treasure" for the finance department or "touch" for the sales guys ect. to make the appearance this is a nice company and everyone like to work for it. Well, even the own employees can't handle that terms and have no clue who is who and who is responsible for what. If you start working for Uli you must be aware you've got two options: 1. you will be a slave of stupide ideas far away from reality. Free thinking or bringing good ideas is forbidden. Only the CEO knows what is good and what is wrong even you're a high driven long experienced and successful businessman, Uli will let you know from now on this is nothing worth. You will be ask sometimes of your opinion, but it is nothing worth and will be ignored . If you can handle that for a while fine, it is like you would be a teenager having his first job...2. even you're doing a great job you have to be aware that the CEO decide in a minute to fire you if he's feeling uncomfortable after you have ask the wrong questions or you have spoken against his word or ideas, even they were super stupid and had nothing to do with reality. Working in this company is perfect for people who have no self respect and like to self torture. Every free minded person should never ever consider working for this guy. Yes, this is a 1 guy driven company, although there is about thousand pople out there, no-one has really something to say, you must understand that. Keep also in mind: Uli and his company only intention is to copy great audio gear and sell it cheep world wide. On this way he's going to destroy hundereds of jobs in the industry but he don't care cause he want to be the king of that business. So keep in mind wehen you consider to work for Music. This is not the nice company he reveal on his website or on all the promotion he's doing this is a high grade "copy audio gear" company (even he has now acquired TC Group and there fabulous gear) If you work for that company you support a dictator on his way to the top. You don't believe me? well than try it out, it is just an experience ;-)

Advice to Management

Uli, you rather hire cyborgs and robots instead of human beings because you dislike them anyway. Also you could program the robots so they do exactly what you want and there would be no opposition at all ;-)

MUSIC Tribe2017-06-01

June 12, 2017HR Manager

"A modern day horror story"

in Manchester, England

I worked at MUSIC Tribe for more than a year

Pros

Better than being skinned alive but frankly only just. I guess the monthly pay is about the only good thing to look forward to. I didn't believe the reviews could possibly be true but unfortunately they are and don't believe the good ones.

Cons

Check in your opinion and any independent thought at the door. 1 opinion counts in this place and it's not yours. Prepare to be made to feel worthless and belittled get little or no support and be blamed for issues caused by the chaotic mandates of Uli Behringer.

Advice to Management

Escape before it's too late

MUSIC Tribe2017-03-01

March 17, 2017HR Manager

"Sinking ship, now also quickly destroying TC Group since acquisition"

Former Employee - Rather Not Say

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Some of the people left are incredible. With the amazing potential of TC Group it could have been an awesome combined company, but only if Uli wasn't as mad as a March hare. Sadly was not meant to be.

Cons

Nobody (if they are honest) is really happy. It's not a nice place to be. Uli Behringer runs everything (and writes the “good reviews” too), he has the app on his phone with alerts so will see this straight away. Unfortunately, the all new self-titled "Chief Disruptor" is on a quest to destruct everything for the sake of destructing it. This Gartner paradigm is already old and is loosing place among real... industry thinkers, those that also don't charge the earth for the "advice" either. Most of TC Group's senior management have now left (or are one the way out). Penny pinching is starting to bite, sadly not where it should be taking place to drive the business. The CD also only loves "yes" people who don’t have a mind, so anyone who stays will do only be those who will do his insane bidding. The MG people who are left and coming in to now run TC are those yes people. Each and every "partner/customer" from Amazon to Claire Brothers, to Thomann to Sweetwater, to AdLib to Musicstore, to every single global distributor (who only stock up as they are fearful of losing the brands), should know the future direction plan. They are simply not wanted, as the CD believes they they drive up the cost to a consumer and the CD wants to sell to anyone and everyone direct, in order to only to be cheaper than his competitors (the only USP MG has left really). Perhaps they should all really know, that he considers all business partners irrelevant in a very short space of time? Would save them a lot of heartache. Sadly, no amount of ridiculous spending on a really poor implementation of SAP/Hybris is going to replace them in the real world, where the industry works on trust and dependability and not cost. Don’t believe any public financial or unit numbers either, most are made up to impress competitors/others in the industry.

Advice to Management

There is only one person who is management here. Uli, please consider that whilst you had made a lot of money borrowing from other people's work in the past (fair game though as they hadn't protected themselves properly, even if it wasn't the most ethical thing to do) and believing that lower costs are everything, your direction is stifling for the people you have, and will disengage innovation no matter how... many more competitors you vacuum up to get at their tech. You could have had it all with the most amazing, powerful and game-changing company in our relatively small and niche business, but your obsession with what you believe is the future (and have been sold/lied to as a truth) is going to bring you down faster than you can imagine. Salesforce is already more like “spent–force” too, despite your elation at being at a massive conference. One more tip, stop "taking the tablets" and it might clear your mind.

MUSIC Tribe2015-10-03

March 17, 2017HR Manager

"If you receive a Job offer, you better run away!!"

I worked at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

A very good training example to learn how to mismanage a company and run it to the ground.

Cons

The Vision The CEO, Uli Behringer, has no vision. If he needs one, he asks his employees to develop a vision to sell these ideas later as his own. The Products It's all about copying successful products from the competition. They are buying competitor products and just reverse-engineering them, with one or two exceptions. I have seen all kind of gear from other companies in any office of this company.... The Infrastructure All C-level managers were fired. That means, only one person is running the show and this person believes he has an idea on how to manage every aspect of the business. Unfortunately he has no idea at all. He doesn't accept or appreciate other people's opinions. The existing rules and guidelines are mandatory to all employees, except to the CEO. He is not able to use the internal software tools nor does he understand their interaction for business management processes. The IT team is not able to run a proper IT environment that would meet today's requirements. Even the setup of simple web services takes months. There is no sales and marketing strategy, since the CEO believes, that the product will sell itself. Instead of listening to people who know what they are talking about, he advises to copy websites from the competition. People that develop their own ideas get in trouble. Human Resources is the joke of that company. I have never seen a more inefficient and incompetent HR team. Not even one of their 'initiatives' makes any sense. They are not able to follow through or follow up with basic tasks. Finding and hiring experienced people for the individual departments is actually not a skill set of the Music Group HR team. Finance and Internal audit have to treat employee for expense claims as criminals. I was waiting multiple times for months to get my money back and I'd argue with internal audit for the smallest expense. If you are a lawyer and you want to get into the music industry, then this company might be perfect for you. Music Group is constantly searching for new legal staff, as there are so may lawsuits, that the existing employees are running into a bad work/life experience while they are spending hours of overtime to accomplish. The CEO Uli Behringer doesn't know how to manage people. He has no social competencies and doesn't understand the required skills to lead. His idea of leadership and people management is 30 years old. Dictating every business aspect, he has lost most of his skilled employees. He is utilizing other people's time and effort as much as possible, even after regular office times and on the weekends. Since he has no idea or vision, his opinions and advise are changing constantly. The Values You are a great asset to the company if you forget your own values - this company requires people who follow the CEO blindly. He is rewarding people who accomplish his dirty work with a Staff Award, i.e. if they lay-off the staff of an entire local office. So, there are no good business values at all. How to survive If you want to survive in this company it is best to switch off your brain and to do everything you get told without questioning the task. Avoid own ideas, strategies and best business practices if you want to stay for longer than 3 months with Music Group.

Advice to Management

Stop writing your own Glassdoor review, this doesn't make this company a better place to work. And please stop to telling other people that 'We are flying the plane while we are building it'. Actually, you are crashing this airplane while you are reverse engineering it.

MUSIC Tribe2014-06-18

March 17, 2017HR Manager

"A Series on Mismanagement Part 1"

I have been working at MUSIC Tribe full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

The company has some good products and there used to be a lot of talented employees.

Cons

This company is a textbook example of how NOT to run a company. For this first part, let us look at item number 1: the company's vision and mission. Oh wait, there is NONE. That is because the CEO, Uli Behringer, believes that he is such a visionary that he does not need any long term plans (these are for all those unenlightened CEOs out there only who have run successful multinational companies). ... Directions can change in the blink of an eye (and this is in no way a mere metaphor) depending on what Uli had for breakfast, the tea leaves left in his cup or maybe, the way the wind is blowing because no one understands fully the basis for his changes nor will he bother to communicate these changes openly. And, let's not even talk about plans - marketing, sales, financial, resources. You name it, this company DOES NOT have it. There is no need as strategies change even before the initiatives are completed, oftentimes, in direct contradiction of each other. It is better to just wait for instructions from Uli on what to do daily otherwise, you run the risk of having your efforts wasted (and getting blamed by him for not doing the right thing). Furthermore, if he assigns you to lead a project, make sure to check constantly with him as it is not uncommon to have projects scrapped or changed or assigned to someone else without your knowledge. Of course, this behavior is what he terms as "dynamic"; the ability to change at the speed of light. So, if this is your ideal of a "dynamic" organization, then, this is the company for you.

Advice to Management

Uli, please stop writing your own reviews. The fictitious positions you put in your reviews are so telling.

MUSIC Tribe2014-06-19