MVE + Partners Reviews | Glassdoor

Carl McLarand, AIA, NCARB

1. "MVE + Partners"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at MVE + Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

A very professional and respectful environment to work in. Upper management encourages all designers to become licensed and to participate in professional organizations. The recently opened Downtown Los Angeles office is perfectly located for use of public transit and is in close proximity to projects currently under construction.

Cons

Projects are challenging and deadlines are stressful but this is beneficial to one's growth as an architect and a sign that the company has high standards for deliverables.

Advice to Management

The efforts put forth to foster professional development and to maintain a healthy work environment is noticeable and appreciated. There is a high level of creativity and knowledge among those currently working here that could evolve into a progressive research and development team.

2. "Overall, I'd pass"

Former Employee - Job Captain in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Job Captain in Irvine, CA

I worked at MVE + Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Location, project types, free food

Cons

Company lifestyle, management, similar designs, no life-work balance

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like actual human beings, not architecture robots. If I can't afford to rent an apartment within 60 minutes from the office because your salary is so low, DO NOT expect me to come in every Saturday.

Feb 15, 2017 – Principal

We appreciate your feedback and are sorry to hear we fell short of your expectations. Although we do have a busy and somewhat demanding practice, our compensation packages are benched to the current ... More

3. "Need to learn how to play the game"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

I worked at MVE + Partners full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

The staff is well diverse from the architects to the administration staff. The company does have many events from summer picnics to holiday galas which was always fun. Great office location near JW airport. Decent pay.

Cons

Forget about getting a promotion based on hard work & merit. Also you can forget receiving the proper recognition when your superior will probably take the cake. It's about how good you brown-nose and how well you can make management like you. It's the game you must play to advance in this company.

Advice to Management

None, the culture would need a total overhaul of management and system. That is the way they have worked for years and unfortunately I foresee that it will continue years going foward.

Jan 12, 2017 – Principal

Thank you for taking the time to write this review. MVE appreciates and seriously considers all feedback. We are sorry to hear that you felt overlooked as we work hard to create an environment where ... More

5. "Architecture Intern from Cal Poly SLO"

Former Employee - Architecture Intern in Irvine, CA
    Former Employee - Architecture Intern in Irvine, CA

Pros

MVE has a good backbone as company. After the recession they decreased their size greatly, however they learned from that experience, and are making the necessary precautions if/ when placed in that situation again. They have opened their 2nd firm in LA.
    On a different note, my experience at MVE was definitely a good one. I was able to go on site in Newport, and explore different projects they had worked on throughout Irvine. I gained a lot of experience in construction documents, and learned more about how they used Autodesk Revit in their firm. They encourage you as a person and a designer while maintaining a professional stance in the field of architecture. They also have a passion for food that I shared which was just a great social perk. I believe they have good time and project management as I was able to see all the different phases of a project including construction administration, design, tenant improvement, and construction documentation.
    The people at MVE are very nice, and are always willing to help, and explain situations if you need it. They also encourage a healthy living style by promoting the fitbit challenge and offering weekly outings to run, go bowling, or even play kickball.

Cons

They don't do a lot of in-house renderings, but rather send them out for others to do. Most of them look really nice, however some of them I don't feel represent MVE well.
    I don't feel like they are advancing in technology as much as other firms in the means of prefabrication, virtual reality, and green standards.
    While they have done some commercial buildings in the past, they specialize in high density occupation and mixed use, which isn't necessarily a con, however their diversification is very minimal compared to before. I believe this is largely due to their main customer/ developer who develops large apartment complexes with mixed use. With this also comes the issue that with one major customer the project designs themselves are often very similar.

6. "Great People, Placemaking, Practices"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MVE + Partners full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Compelling project opportunities, professional yet fun great coworkers to work with, high value on each individual's capability and creativity, always thriving to be better on next projects - providing a platform for steep learning curve, employee appreciation days and annual holiday parties, BIM / Revit savvy, LA office

Cons

Work could be demanding yet certainly rewarding, small kitchen, high expectations

Advice to Management

Keep valuing people, places and practice. very much appreciate all the support and effort to make the company better.

Jan 1, 4713 – Principal

We appreciate your feedback and are continually seeking out ways to improve the company and culture at MVE. We put our people, places, and practice first, and take pride in providing our team members ... More

7. "MVE Review"

Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Project Coordinator in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MVE + Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

1. There are a lot of projects going on and its easy to get a wide range of experience.
    2. There is a large range of levels of experience which allows people to learn more and grow as a professional.
    3. Several employees are in the process of becoming licensed which allows for support and guidance in preparing for the A.R.E's.
    4. The firm is very social and tries to get employees involved in non-work related activities

Cons

1. The projects are very large and demanding so it can become very stressful.
    2. Some projects have tight deadlines which require lots of over time.

Advice to Management

1. Make sure newly graduated employees are set up with good mentors to help guide them.
    2. Be aware of employees that are overloaded so they do not get burnt out.

8. "Excellent Firm Full of Dedicated Staff"

Current Employee - Junior Designer in Irvine, CA
    Current Employee - Junior Designer in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MVE + Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has been around for a while and has established itself in Southern California with some projects overseas as well. Those who work here love what they do, which cultivates a family-like community and positive morale. The firm makes a point to take care of employees, having monthly appreciation events and wellness programs. The work is challenging but very rewarding, and the variety of project experience given to young designers allows for growth and new opportunities. More seasoned professionals also have a lot of room to advance in the firm over time. Overall, this forward-thinking company is a very exciting and inspiring place to work.

Cons

Since it is a larger firm, it takes time to move up in the company and gain responsibilities, especially for new designers out of school. Patience.

Advice to Management

Continue to have an open mind to more progressive aspects of this ever-changing industry, and keep building relationships with newer clients and diverse project types.

9. "Good work environment, and changing for the better..."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I have been working at MVE + Partners full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The staff at MVE are motivated, talented and professional. We work hard (like many other firms), and we also try to balance the hard work with fun activities. The company hosts great parties and monthly employee appreciation lunches. Employees also organize their own activities based on common interests. MVE offers great career opportunities for emerging professionals. Our leadership has also shown a renewed commitment to enhancing the corporate culture and improving employee morale. In my experience, employees who have made a great career for themselves at MVE are those who find balance in this demanding profession.

Cons

Working at MVE can be very demanding but also highly rewarding. It's not uncommon in our profession to work extra hours, and working at MVE is no exception. The company is looking for ways to provide a better work/life balance, but it's also up to the individual to find that balance. If you're motivated, up for the challenge and can keep a positive attitude, you will to well here.

Advice to Management

Continue soliciting feedback from your staff and maintain your commitment to an improved culture and morale.

10. "Job security does not exist"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at MVE + Partners full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Nice environment, friendly co-workers. Professional, educated people.

Cons

High turnover rate. Layoffs and many people leaving on their own. Majority of employees are young 20-30's...less middle-aged and older employees.

Advice to Management

Give employees a chance to prove their potential and not let them go so quickly. Major layoff this year with some not even there a year. About 5% of company just left on their own. Uncertain future not good.

"Disappointing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I worked at MVE + Partners full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Free food, good parties, paid overtime. The staff has fun together at in-office happy hours. Lots of foodies and lunch groups to join.

Cons

Management is ASLEEP and only concerns itself with policing an otherwise talented and self-sufficient pool of employees. Sometimes there is so little work you have to pretend to be busy, other times it's a flood, so life/work balance goes out the window. Be prepared to work nights and weekends here; it's the rule, although you will get OT for it. Some staff in upper management and administration are gossipy and will actively work to bring your downfall, if you're not part of their "high school gang." Project work is uninspiring and all the designs look alike. Promotions are handed out once a year whether they have been earned or not, and no effort is made to hold top-level people accountable...once you've been promoted, you're untouchable. Watch your back.

Advice to Management

Wake up. Treat ALL staff with value and stop protecting the ones who are problematic. Just because someone's been with you over 20 years doesn't mean he's not an HR nightmare. Or you can just do nothing and watch your talent pool turnover numbers rise...