MWH Global Reviews | Glassdoor

MWH Global Reviews

Updated April 24, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • The work environment is very good, most people are very personable and care about things about you that don't necessarily deal with work (in 19 reviews)

• Huge AMP6 success means environment is positive and there are lots of opportunities to work on interesting projects (in 17 reviews)

Cons
  • Lack of leadership and direction (in 5 reviews)

• The overall culture does not promote work life balance (in 5 reviews)

1. "MWH iNet is a good group of people"

Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Lakewood, CO
    Former Employee - Senior Technical Writer in Lakewood, CO

I worked at MWH Global (Less than a year)

Pros

As a contract technical writer, I was treated well and was given first-rate equipment to use. I met some really nice people in iNet, the IT Support group. I got to work on an interesting project. I didn't get hassled a lot for trivial minutiae.

Cons

The PMs seemed really overworked. Upper management (outside of iNet) seemed very conservative, which I suppose is typical for a construction company.

Advice to Management

Spend some money and buy a real content and knowledge management system. SharePoint is okay, but it doesn't offer the functionality a knowledge management system would.

"My MWH experience"

Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Miami, FL
    Former Employee - Civil Engineering Intern in Miami, FL

I worked at MWH Global (Less than a year)

Pros

MWH has been my first engineering internship and my first exposure to engineering consulting. I could not have asked for a more welcoming team! Not only did they make me feel at home from day 1. The MWH Miami team has a remarkable standard of professionalism, cooperation, attention to detail and is an industry leader in every way. I respect and admire every member of the team, each with great strengths and knowledge in engineering and each heart kinder than the other.
    As an intern, I was exposed to a variety of tasks and got a taste of the type of work in the consulting industry. I learned more than I would have within the same time in school. Everybody has been very helpful and eager to answer all questions. This has also helped me to integrate in the company quicker.
    Overall my experience has been fantastic. I am very grateful for having received this opportunity and hope to be back.

Cons

Overall I saw no major flaws in this company. It is normal that the pace is fast in this industry and people must work hard. Only top quality work is acceptable here and I appreciate that.

Advice to Management

Keep it up; you are doing an amazing job keeping the team together and delivering a great result. I learned to love MWH and appreciate every moment I spent there.

"Hostile, abusive, discriminatory, leaderless, unhealthy work environment"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Denver, CO

Pros

you get a paycheck for putting up with the above (also see below).

Cons

Unless you are in management, there is no good news. You are a beneath the management gods, will be trampled on, treated like you are invisible and worthless, exposed to q myriad of safety hazards most of them forced on you by management, then ignored because you are invisible and worthless in their eyes. This is a totally dysfunctional company where HR has a 50+% turnover rate, on site management is traveling, and the wannabe power mongers bully and torment the staff daily while getting blessed from above. If you are a sadist, you will love this work environment, management will reinforce how little you matter, and make sure you will have nasty drama and favoritism every day.

Advice to Management

Alan, you need to fire the managers in the Denver Office What they do is not management. They could be part of a dictatorship regime, because that is the working environment and culture they have created in the Denver Office. My ratings below are zero or the greatest negative number there is

"Weak Strategy Supported by Strong Front-line Managers"

Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Project Manager in Salt Lake City, UT

I worked at MWH Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Congenial in offices outside of Denver. Average pay and benefits. Liked it there, met some great people.

Cons

Privately owned gives majority stock and decisions to senior management who look good on paper, but in-fight for political dominance. The failures stay there while they rearrange a constant stream of strategies to pull out of the hole these people dug - big hire cycles, then lay-offs.

Advice to Management

Management by walking around. Talk to the bright people that are informed and have built a strong rack record for success.

"Financial reporting and billing"

Current Employee - Project Acc in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Project Acc in Westminster, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Work culture, flex hours, work independently

Cons

High stress, lots of abiguity

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees needs and defend them from operations, instead of throwing them under the bus.

"MWH Global is an excellent employer, and I am glad to be a part of the team."

Current Employee - Communicator in Broomfield, CO
    Current Employee - Communicator in Broomfield, CO

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MWH Global has a professional environment that supports its employees to grow in their talents and skills. Hard work is recognized and appreciated. Coming to work is a pleasure.

Cons

Long commute, but we have a online tools to ensure that we can work from multiple locations.

Advice to Management

Be more active on social media.

"MicroManaged"

Current Employee - Environmental Technician in Alpharetta, GA
    Current Employee - Environmental Technician in Alpharetta, GA

Pros

Not working weekends and using a company truck

Cons

Supervisors spying on you on the field.

Advice to Management

If you like to be micro managed, join the Atlanta office "team". They can't keep technicians. Hope the Operations Manager likes you or you'll never get billable work. Favoritism at its best.

9. "Time is money"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Broomfield, CO

I worked at MWH Global full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Smart people who were passionate about their jobs

Cons

Unless you are billable, you are not important

"MWH is a company with a deep field of talent, that treats its employees like valuable individuals."

Current Employee - Supervising Planner in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Supervising Planner in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MWH Global full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to pursue work that interests you, whether it be local or in another office or geography.
    The culture reflects the employee-owned status, in that employees are treated fairly and corporate decisions seem value-driven and not solely profit-driven.

Cons

Work-life balance is poor. Long hours and travel are common.
    Medical benefits are so-so.
    Current trend is toward homogenizing all offices toward more open-air concepts.
    Paid time off includes sick time and vacation time.

Advice to Management

Provide separate leave for sick time.

11. "Good Company, Great People"

Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Engineer in San Francisco, CA

Pros

Excellent work atmosphere, smart co-workers, employee growth is a priority, people can grow into greater responsibility

Cons

Below average benefits and pay is average, conservative nature of company inhibits growth, old fashioned company with too many layers between the top management and ground level employees (definitely not a flat organization)

Advice to Management

Don't kill the goose that lays golden eggs