MWWPR Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-timePart-time

3.3
Michael W. Kempner

Sort: PopularRatingDate

Pros
  • Great clients, good office space, good people (in 11 reviews)

• Some prestigious clients, better work/life balance than other agencies, HR really tries to create and maintain a positive culture (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Work/life balance was different depending on which account you were on (in 7 reviews)

• Have heard them make nasty comments about other employees' weight, clothes and physical attributes and throw junior staff under the bus (in 11 reviews)

1. "Great place to learn the ropes"

I have been working at MWWPR full-time

Pros

Excellent skills development opportunities, industry-leading perks, flexibility, and the keys are in your hand to drive your personal growth

Cons

Increase communications about workplace flexibility

Advice to Management

Continue to build up and invest in junior to mid-level talent

2. "Incredibly Enriching"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at MWWPR full-time

Pros

MWWPR is an agency that stays ahead of the Public Relations industry with its immersive client experience for all staff, progressive values, great clients in many (if not all) consumer verticals and its wide array of office locations. My favorite thing about MWWPR was how the VPs and Executives were always willing to help me out and teach me anything they could– they are truly thought leaders and some of the agency's best assets. MWWPR has a great future ahead of itself, as does its employees.

Cons

Nothing you wouldn't find in any other medium-sized agency– some days you'll work long/off hours depending on the news cycle, some days you'll discover the difficulty in communicating across the country or across the pond.

Advice to Management

Ensure that everyone who is a great PR practitioner is also a great supervisor if their role includes managerial duties. Consider allowing overtime to junior-level staff when necessary.

3. "Great experience, and great people"

Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Account Executive in New York, NY

I have been working at MWWPR full-time (More than a year)

Pros

MWWPR is a great place to work first and foremost because of the people. MWWPR consists of fun, energetic, smart and collaborate individuals who make the late night, or early morning work worth it.

Summer Fridays, Unlimited PTO and Bagel Thursdays are a couple ways MWWPR gives back to its employees for the hard work and sometimes around the clock nature of the job.

Increasingly, MWWPR is trying to give its employees an opportunity to diversify accounts, and in my experience, they are working to make positive change following employee feedback - which is greatly appreciated.

Cons

As it is a issue across the industry, staff are not compensated appropriate for their extremely hard work.

Advice to Management

As you are already doing, continue to listen to all staff as everyone comes from a different perspective and implementing programs that are a direct result of their feedback!

4. "Great Place for Opportunity and Exposure to Diverse Teams/Projects"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I have been working at MWWPR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MWWPR is one of the best agencies to work in the city - They appreciate work/life balance and everyone is willing to help out where needed. They have excellent perks, benefits, and overall culture and it is great to be surrounded by passionate positive people! Unique to find such a successful established company with true core values.

Cons

Still integrating across U.S. and UK offices

"Don't Believe the Hype - Worst Place to Work"

I worked at MWWPR full-time

Pros

Big clients
    Interesting work
    Summer Fridays/Unlimited PTO

Cons

Toxic culture
    Some very bad apples in senior leadership on the East Coast
    Very territorial

Advice to Management

Get rid of some of your your long-tenured, but highly dysfunctional and abusive senior execs - it's driving anyone good out.
    You hear all the time about how senior management is committed to creating a great place to work - but it's just talk. This place is very toxic with lots of bullies in senior roles (most of them who have been there for decades and are friends with the CEO). Senior management turns a blind eye to all the bad things that happen because some of these bad actors are running big clients. HR is a joke. There is a revolving door for a good reason - it's a terrible place to work. The NY Corporate group is the epicenter of a lot of the problems, but there are problems in other areas too. Please don't get tricked into their PR spin or the fake positive reviews - it's a terrible place.

"Toxic Senior Leadership (Like nowhere I've ever seen)"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

I worked at MWWPR full-time

Pros

-Exposure to diverse accounts
    -Some really smart people, with great ideas
    -Good benefits i.e. unlimited PTO, Summer Fridays
    -Would be a great place to work if it weren't for a few really toxic and entitled senior leaders

Cons

Your experience is dependent on what practice and office you sit in -- each tends to have it's own cultural nuances. There are a couple "tenured" senior leaders, in certain practices, who have created well-known toxic work environments, but still remain (and continue to be rewarded). Although it's clear the CEO wants to build a positive and diverse culture, the buck stops at these leaders.

Discrimination (across the board) and favoritism run rampant. Senior leaders openly speak ill of each other, setting bad examples for junior staff and creating unnecessarily competitive environments (despite the one P&L).

The leaders/management who are truly working hard and adding value to client work and internal employee growth, continue to be overlooked and under rewarded.

Advice to Management

Get rid of the bad apples. What value are they really bringing? Is keeping these people worth the destruction of company culture?

You're building a next generation of leaders who are learning these negative behaviors and who are afraid to do the right thing. MWWPR has so much great potential ... it's time to really be about the people.

7. "Great Work Atmosphere"

Current Employee - Associate Account Executive
    Current Employee - Associate Account Executive

I have been working at MWWPR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MWWPR is a wonderful place to work, and the last 18 months have been a tremendous opportunity for me to push myself and grow professionally. While MWWPR is a strong organization from top to bottom, there are two main reasons why I have enjoyed my time here as much as I have.

The first reason is the people. Our CEO, Michael Kempner, always says finding good talent is the hardest aspect of the PR industry, but you would not think it was so difficult if you spent a day in one of our offices. Employees constantly put clients first, but enjoy spending time with one another and are constantly learning from each other.

The other reason MWWPR is a great place to work is the work-life balance. MWWPR understands how hard its employees work, and trusts they will get their work done on time. As a result of this, senior management is flexible when you need to work from home, and when you arrive and leave the office. Summer Fridays (3 pm dismissal) and company happy hours are among employees’ favorite workplace perks. Oh, unlimited PTO isn’t too bad either.

Cons

Other offices besides New York and East Rutherford have a small number of employees

Advice to Management

Keep striving to hire great talent!

"Avoid"

Pros

- Summer Fridays
    - Unlimited PTO (but be prepared to be guilted if you actually take advantage)
    - Name brand clients

Cons

Seems like others have already touched on the issues with senior leadership (at least on the east coast). Have heard them make nasty comments about other employees' weight, clothes and physical attributes and throw junior staff under the bus. Unfortunately, they will likely never be dealt with as the CEO doesn't have the best hiring practices (i.e: Anthony Weiner). Until he cleans house, MWW will continue to be known for its toxic culture and leadership, no matter how many fake reviews they write on Glassdoor.

Advice to Management

Your behavior at work will eventually catch up to you

"SF Office"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at MWWPR full-time

Pros

I can only speak to the SF office as that's where I'm based. The best way to describe the office vibe is that everyone is pretty chill and mellow. It's a small and mighty team so we've all grown to be pretty close and collaborative (half the office is social / digital, the other half is traditional comms). We like to have fun, make jokes and enjoy each other's presence. It's not like other agencies where you might be working late into the night or have gossip / cliques.

From an educational standpoint, the company has pretty regular training sessions with veteran reporters or industry experts. To provide a more intimate setting, ours are joint with the LA office (who we work closely with).

Karen is our fearless leader and she is great! She's supportive of everyone on-site, and really makes sure we're taken care of. PLUS she is bringing in new business left and right. This takes a lot of pressure off of anyone worried about the future of the office, and in turn we can focus on doing great work and producing results.

We will often get food brought in and will take the time to chat and socialize with each other. We have monthly happy hours and will periodically grab drinks after work if people are up for it.

We have a big, clean and beautiful space with natural sunlight that is in the middle of the hustle and bustle of FiDi. We hear the construction, but we also see all the protests happening. The office is right above Embarcadero bart and is very convenient for commutes and food options.

Cons

There's still a divide between East coast / West coast, but there have been changes being made to improve that. Not a lot of visibility into East coast upper management... would love to have them visit more frequently!

Advice to Management

Continue to integrate across offices and to promote working out of different offices... Never underestimate the power of face time to strengthen relationships. Some more flexibility around working remote would be great -- but since we're so small it makes sense that to maintain a culture, we need to be on-site.

"Don't let the "company culture" fool you"

Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Digital in New York, NY

I worked at MWWPR full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Bagel Thursdays. Great snacks in the office. Monthly office happy hours.

A lot of great, smart, creative people to work with and learn from on some of the teams (consumer, creative, digital, research). Expansive client base with an opportunity to touch many different spaces.

Cons

Senior leadership on the corporate team is toxic. Expectation is that you have no work/life balance and put Deloitte or whatever corporate client you're working on over everything else. Employees report to multiple account leads who never communicate with each other regarding time constraints, so it's typical to have a handful of pressing, time-intensive deliverables thrown on your plate all at once. Leadership from VP and up on the corporate team is disrespectful, unprofessional, and venomous.

If you work on a team outside of traditional PR (creative, digital, etc.), you will be treated like second rate citizens. Agency leadership will repeatedly tell you they're "breaking down silos" and moving toward a "fully integrated team", but these empty words are never backed up by real actions. Agency moved to a one P&L model for that exact purpose, but corporate leadership continues to wage internal wars over revenue with other practices.

Executive team (C-level) members hear the same complaints about the same people on the corporate team over and over again, but choose not to do anything about it. Turnover is absurdly high, especially on the digital team, where employees leave but aren't replaced on a regular basis. The work is just spread across the team despite already having bandwidth issues and staffing shortcomings.

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees. Either overhaul the corporate team leadership or find another way to fix the toxic culture it breeds. Back up promises with action and stop using a transparently phony company culture to make up for shortcomings like low pay, bandwidth/staffing issues, poor work/life balance, etc.