MX Reviews

Updated Apr 29, 2020

4.6
MX CEO Ryan Caldwell (no image)
Ryan Caldwell
Pros
  • "Great entry level positions and opportunities to move into technical roles with code-camp backgrounds(in 9 reviews)

• "They provide free food for their employees and buy dinner if you need to stay late(in 7 reviews)

Cons
  • "The growing pains are rough sometimes(in 5 reviews)

• "MX isn’t for everyone, it’s hard work and can be challenging in many ways(in 5 reviews)

1. "Great Company, But Not For Everyone"

I have been working at MX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Strong executive leadership and one of a kind culture who truly lives their core values. Have a great product that is very impactful to the greater good of humanity. CEO is a great human and cares deeply about the company and the mission of the software. If you put in the work, you can pave your own career path here.

Cons

Extremely fast paced, workload and expectations can be taxing for those sensitive to stress. Similar to many start-up cultures, it can feel very reactionary (growing pains). Processes and communications across departments need improvement to better serve the bottom line and their alignment to business needs/initiatives.

MX2020-04-29

Thank you!

2. "MX surpassed my already high expectations"

Current Employee - Product Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for less than a year

Pros

MX is consistently rated as one of the best places to work for in Utah and growing at a rapid rate. There is a reason for that, they have a really impactful vision/mission, great product, and phenomenal leadership team that has created a culture unlike anything I've ever experienced. - ability to work on something that is making a positive impact on peoples' lives - transparent and approachable leadership - lots of autonomy - competitive pay - fun perks - growing like crazy so lots of opportunities for advancement - happy and helpful employees, they will help you with any support needed

Cons

None at this time. Seriously this has been an incredible experience so far.

MX2020-04-01

"The Culture is REAL!"

Current Employee - Sales Operations Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for less than a year

Pros

They live what they say their culture is Tons of food Really cool workers Awesome leadership Meaningful work Other benefits

Cons

You have to be smart... it’s a tough industry, and a complex product. Not a bad thing, just not a job for everyone.

MX2020-03-18

Thank you!

"Incredible company for those that are up for the speed and growth"

Current Employee - Manager in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MX has been on an incredible growth path for several years which is exciting for me. With this comes a lot of opportunity and interesting / difficult challenges. We are continually building; new services, new relationships, new ways to do things. We're not overly process driven, but continue to iterate to ensure we are doing things better tomorrow than we were today. There is a general foundation of trust that everyone is here to build a really great company and people have the support around them to make that happen. We treat each others as founders and hold each other accountable to achieve great things. The general team satisfaction is really high. I have had so much growth since being at MX. I'm constantly stretched and pushing for new heights. It's extremely rewarding. The executive leadership is transparent on where we are succeeding and where we have work to do. I love our Town Hall format where we meet on a regular basis to talk through the successes and challenge areas. Anyone can ask a question and it seems leadership is doing everything they can to make sure we as a team are working on the most critical things to make the biggest impact. I appreciate working for a mission-driven organization, where we see the impact to our customers and their end users and we're making a big difference. This company has the perfect formula of what I want in my career. I appreciate that this company is not a great fit for everyone. Team members come from very diverse backgrounds, and all are accepted and appreciated. But team members have to have a founder's mindset and the drive to provide the right level of value or they will not last here.

Cons

If you don't have a founder's mindset and can't take ownership to drive results and make an impact, then you could quickly become lost waiting for someone to tell you what to do. This is not a company for people who want to consistently be told what to do. You've got to figure it out - with your team's support.

MX2020-03-09

May 20, 2020People@MX

Thank you for sharing your perspective and building MX!

"Looks great from the outside"

2.0

I have been working at MX full-time

Pros

The mission of the company is great; helping the world to become financially strong. Love that idea.

Cons

You are brought in with this idea of family and wonderful support, when that is minimal at best. 1. During the interview process; you interview with the CCO, who is offensive, asks illegal interview questions, and is the least liked executive at MX (backed by annual employee surveys). He is in charge of interviewing for "culture fit" when in fact he is just asking awkward and personal questions claiming he is trying to really get to know you on a deeper level. There have been a few individuals that have received offers from MX that would have been an asset to the company, that turned down their offers because of the attitude of the CCO. If MX employed someone like him, it was obviously not a place they wanted to be. 2. MX thinks that free lunches, snacks, dinner, massages, etc. make for an amazing employee experience instead of supporting their employees, creating leaders (not managers; there is a difference <-- MX doesn't understand this obviously), and fostering employee development. 3. The current overgrowth. MX has been hiring like crazy for the past 5 months. They once made a claim that they would never hire just to hire, but instead try to find a good employee fit and grow with intention. Their current growth feels more like they are rapidly trying to reach an internal number so externally they can meet a mark (e.g. IPO, acquire a company, or sell). It is currently creating a disjointed and unsettled environment.

MX2020-02-05

March 6, 2020People@MX

Since this review is directed at one of our existing team members, we will let him respond directly: Hello my friend and fellow builder at MX. Feedback is the breakfast of champions, so thank you for making time to provide a smörgåsbord. On the rare occasion one of my fellow team members here at MX has a uniquely sub optimal experience, I am eager to obtain greater data, clarity and specificity so that we can better align expectations and outcomes. So, if you are willing, I invite you to come chat with me directly so I can better understand the specifics of your experience and what you are seeing that I may be missing. As you know, Objectivity in Discourse is one of our core values and I am committed to uphold that, so I welcome the discussion. I am thrilled that you have found that the concentration of the kind of people we have filtered into MX has resulted in solutions that are achieving our mission - Empowering the World to be Financially Strong. I am also happy that our mission resonates with you. The achievement of this kind of a mission certainly demands a specific kind of fortitude and culture, which we intentionally seek for in the candidate review process. I acknowledge, without reservation, that our rigorous approach may mean that we miss on some potentially great candidates, but that is far more acceptable to MX than the alternative - that risk is too great as MX is not the right fit for everyone and adding humans that are not a good fit is both harmful to that human and will erode culture incredibly fast, to the detriment of current team members, the company, our client and the end users we seek to financially strengthen. Operating as the one trusted by the organization to perform a final review on candidates means that I will undoubtedly ask tough introspective questions of the candidate, never questions that would be considered illegal. The questions I ask intentionally work to get to the heart of pragmatic resonance with MX’s Vision, Mission and Values, as those are foundational here at MX. These questions will inevitably bring to light a candidates capacity to be self-aware, self-reflective, take extreme ownership of problems and dissonance they experience and operate with consistent high levels of hunger, creativity and fierce grit while solving hard problems. As you have acknowledged in your feedback, on the whole, we have worked very hard to instill and persist an open, transparent culture - which means enabling the gathering, receiving and unfiltered distribution of upward and operational feedback to be shared across the organization to all team members broadly. As a fellow human, I am deeply flawed and as an executive, I have high influence, so undoubtedly there will be individuals who won’t like me. The data doesn’t bear true to what you have depicted in your feedback, but if it did, I would be grateful to receive the feedback so I could operate better as an executive, not so I can be better liked, but so I can better empower team members to operate with a Founder’s Mindset (another of our core values) - with the courage to tackle challenges and hard problems directly. Only this kind of deliberate approach, by all team members here at MX, will allow us to keep the culture we have worked so hard to foster and enable us to achieve our mission of Empowering the World to be Financially Strong. I hope to see you soon so we can chat and resolve your concerns. Until then, be well my friend. -Nate

"Awesome Company"

Current Employee - Video Producer in Draper, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MX really cares about its employees and their personal career growth and success.

Cons

The company is growing quick so there is less and less room.

MX2019-12-13

January 10, 2020People@MX

We are stoked that you are thriving at MX and with our growth, more and more room is created daily. Thank you for building MX!

"Job Review"

Current Employee - Deal Desk Analyst in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for less than a year

Pros

The people are very inclusive and collaborative. They all work towards shared goals and maintain high standards of work ethic.

Cons

It isn't so large that you have a set-in-stone role. Rather you may have to wear different hats

MX2019-11-12

January 10, 2020People@MX

Thank you for building MX!

"Incredible Company"

Current Employee - Software QA Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for less than a year

Pros

Here are the pros from my perspective: culture, benefits, management, philosophy, and perks. I love the people I work with, I love the people I work for, and I love the overall purpose of the company, to empower the world to be financially strong.

Cons

Sometimes the autonomy to do my job can feel like I'm not doing enough, but that's really on me to be accountable and speak up and ask for feedback. That can seem scary, but ultimately I know it's worth it.

MX2019-10-22

January 10, 2020People@MX

Thank you for the feedback and for building MX!

"Practice what you preach"

Current Employee - Lead Software Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

MX, like other software companies, has a mission statement and a set of values. However, unlike other software companies, MX actually incorporates these things into it's day-to-day function. The executive team truly cares about the wellbeing of their employees *and* their families. As a member of the MX team, you are empowered to make a difference in areas that you are passionate about.

Cons

MX is growing... hopefully the great culture can be maintained throughout the growth. Cautiously optimistic.

MX2019-10-21

January 10, 2020People@MX

Thank you for building MX and for your contribution in keeping our culture strong.

10. "Ex employee review"

4.0

I worked at MX full-time for more than a year

Pros

Small growing company with tons of room for personal growth. Very supportive product organization and nurturing mentors who care more about your overall health and happiness over deadlines. I was on an amazing team.

Cons

Pay was below market average and teams were understaffed.

MX2019-10-30

January 10, 2020People@MX

Thank you for your contribution to MX!

Found 109 reviews