MX Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

4.0
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Ryan Caldwell

Pros
  • I guess the stocked break room was nice and the catered lunches were good (in 6 reviews)

• They provide free food for their employees and buy dinner if you need to stay late (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • It's hard work, but because it's a "cause" it doesn't feel like (in 4 reviews)

• This happens a lot to startups and its something that we can and often overcome through communication and hard work (in 2 reviews)

1. "Work Culture Transformed My Career"

I have been working at MX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The biggest reason I love working at MX is selfish: personal growth.

K. Anders Ericsson is the world's leading researcher on how to become an expert. To become an expert your practice sessions need 4 things.

1. Focus on Improving Technique
    2. Objectives Just Beyond One's Level of Competence
    3. Provide Feedback on Results
    4. Involves High Levels of Repetition

If those 4 things are there, then you're doing what Ericsson calls deliberate practice. Deliberate practice is the only way to really become an expert.

Here's how these 4 elements exist every single day at MX's engineering team:

1. Focus on Improving Technique:

Code Quality & Code Discoverability (how easy it is to read & understand someone's code ) are 2 of the 3 core principles that govern MX's engineering team.
    There are virtually no deadlines for when your code has to be complete. So instead of focusing on just 'getting it done,' you focus on getting it right.
    We're not just writing code for a computer. We write code for the next engineer that has to use it.
    The focus on perfecting your code & the time they give you to do it allows you to focus on your technique while you program every single day.

2. Objectives Just Beyond One's Level of Competence

My first day at MX, they told me this: "Most companies assign you work. We don't do that. Here, you've got to take initiative and pick from a list of problems we have the ones you want to solve."
    To work on things just beyond your level you need 2 things: 1) freedom to work on things just beyond your level 2) challenges beyond your current level.
    By letting us individually pick the problems we want to work on, I'm able to pick problems just beyond my level every day. This has allowed me to grow rapidly.
    Since the problems in our industry can be so complex, every engineer here-whether junior or senior-faces challenges beyond their current skill level.

3. Provide Feedback on Results

100% of Pull Requests @ MX are reviewed and approved by another engineer. Yes, 100%.
    Every Pull Request you put up gives you the chance to receive feedback on how to improve which is critical to growth.
    To be honest not every PR has feedback on things to improve or change. Some PR's are really basic and simple.
    But I would say like 70-80% of pull requests have multiple comments with ways to improve. It's awesome. You learn so many cool new ways to write great code and do new things.
    (WHY all the code reviews? We work in Finance. Our code gets audited (soc compliance laws). To stay compliant, all code at MX has to be reviewed and approved. )

4. Involves High Levels of Repetition

MX's engineering team is < 40 people, but in 2016, we had 3,700 releases to production or just over 14 production releases every working day (M-Friday).

Since our deployment structure allows us to release code so often, we are all writing a lot of code every single day that goes through the review, approval, and quality checks.

The culture here doesn't just push deliberate practice--it enforces it in many ways.

I've loved working here and would recommend it to anyone looking to take their skills to the next level.

Cons

Sometimes there isn't the clearest vision about the vision of the company. Salary could be more competitive.

Advice to Management

Keep up the awesome work life balance.
    Keep up all the awesome work perks.
    Keep the culture of deliberate practice in engineering.

Jun 6, 2017 – People@MX

Thank you for your review. It's exciting to be empowered by the growth culture we're working to maintain. Keep up the great work and continue to build!

"Exciting but chaotic. Needs organization."

Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I worked at MX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Lots of opportunities to learn and find your niche. In most departments, you're given autonomy to find worthwhile projects and complete them how you want. For people young in their careers, they are able to build a lot of skills and impact the company and product in ways not available at most places.

The benefits are pretty good with vacation, holiday, 401k, meals, snacks, UTA pass, good health coverage, etc.

There are a lot of really smart people here, especially on the engineering team. Compared to other companies, the top guys really know what they are talking about and how to articulate it to other departments. Code requirements are strict, which keeps it clean, maintainable, and discoverable.

If you are experienced before coming to MX, you'll probably be offered a pretty competitive salary.

MX keeps closing big deals, and taking business from its competition.

Cons

Not sure why, but every contract gets delayed months or years before banks start using it. Even though the company signs lots of big deals, most of them seem to never get implemented with the bank. Part of the problem may be that MX tries to be everything to everyone from the CEO to sales, then those things don't get prioritized or presented to engineering, and thus never built properly. MX is more concerned with closing deals than making a good product that people or banks will use or find value in.

The operations side of MX is a trainwreck. For example, I once interviewed somebody for my dept, and we also had people sit in from 2 other depts. After the interview, everyone from my dept and the one working closest to my dept agreed 'let's hire this person.' Somebody from the third dept that was there to measure 'culture', and insisted the candidate was not qualified. The 'hiring committee' (who did not attend any interview) said the candidate's overall score was below minimum reqs (dragged down by the anomaly in the interview), and 2-3 weeks later the candidate was sent a canned "we decided to pursue other candidates" email. After all that, the interviewers and interviewees all get frustrated and feel like their time was wasted.

In most departments, I never recommended friends, because I was confident they'd have a miserable hiring experience. MX insists they're never on a hiring freeze, but why can't they get anyone hired that the teams want and meets salary reqs?

Obviously the operations teams are struggling with mgmt; they have the highest turnover of anybody.

When people do succeed within the company, they are never compensated or treated fairly. Even though the CEO has said in company meetings that 'MX won't match an outside offer', that's often the *only* time they can get a raise, even after trying to do it the right way. Before leaving, those top performers are often rewarded with more responsibility, more workload, more scrutiny from mgmt, no change in title or authority, a denial of more pay/stock, and less flexibility in their schedule. Then after they leave, mgmt talks of how inadequacy led to their departure.

Despite what he says, the CEO definitely acts like he is more important than anyone and everything else.

Advice to Management

There is some serious internal turmoil. Own up to it, get some real leadership in a COO type role (and let them do their jobs), and set defined goals and plans to build products that banks and consumers will value and use.

May 19, 2017 – People@MX

Thank you for the feedback. I'm happy to say we've implemented a more robust hiring process over the last few months, performed interview training company wide. It is frustrating as a candidate ... More

"Great Potential"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The team works extremely hard, everyone is committed to the mission, for the most part it feels like you're really working at a company that has a chance to make a big difference

Cons

Management lives in a bubble and don't listen long enough to actually know what's going on. Oddly enough they are so busy with being involved in the small things they rarely focus on setting and executing strategy and if you're not part of the club you probably don't know what's going on

Advice to Management

Listen more, talk less

Jun 6, 2017 – People@MX

Thank you for the feedback. We're working hard to ensure all voices are heard within the company and have no intention of creating any separation between the executive team and team members. We've ... More

4. "Good company"

Former Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Lehi, UT
    Former Employee - Senior Front End Developer in Lehi, UT

I worked at MX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Dynamic environment and a lot to learn from others. Free lunch twice a week and ton of free snacks and drinks.

Cons

Hard to socialize and get to know people. People are little distant and always occupied with current tasks. Probably because everyone is under pressure to execute.

Jun 6, 2017 – People@MX

Thank you for the feedback. We recently launched a new area designed for increased collaboration and socializing. This is where we host lunches, and the space includes snacks, a ping pong table ... More

"Product Owner"

Current Employee - Product Owner in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Product Owner in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This company has a strong emphasis for execution. The product team has the unique opportunity to both work within our market space, while still innovating on a platform that offers unparalleled services.

Cons

There are times when we're given vague objectives or outcomes to work towards. With given this kind of project, it's a little daunting.

Advice to Management

Be prepared to respond to fact-finding questions if subordinates seek feedback on a given project.

"Awesome Vision, Amazing Culture, Superb Platform"

Current Employee - Marketing in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Marketing in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Most people are here because they believe the financial industry is screwed up and that MX can change that for the better. The MX platform is really cool to use, but what's even cooler is the fact that it helps individuals regain control of their finances and that is good for the individual, their community and the country. Not surprisingly, people are passionate about the cause and deliver their best work. And the passion is infectious. Awesome culture .

Cons

It's hard work, but because it's a "cause" it doesn't feel like hard work. It is definitely NOT a place to join if you just want to turn up and draw a pay check. The company is growing rapidly so sometimes the startup mentality needs to be supported with more mature processes.

Advice to Management

NEVER lose sight of the vision ....delivering a future where finances are as they should be.

"Outstanding Culture - Best Company in Utah"

I have been working at MX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-They have a great company culture.
    -Everyone seems genuinely passionate about what they do.
    -With that passion, everyone is happy to do what they do.
    -Yes, it's a self-management workplace, but that's not a bad thing because it allows you to learn how to be responsible for your own work rather than having someone constantly looking over your shoulder.
    -Extremely open community. Easy to ask questions. Highly transparent. No politics.
    -You are challenged beyond measure. This isn't a standard 'clock-in', do some work, 'clock out'.

Cons

No cons with MX at all!

Advice to Management

Keep on doing what you're doing. MX seeks people who like to be challenged, grow, and be the best at what they do. I believe that management is keen on knowing who those people are and will hire them.

"Surrounded By Talent and Passion"

Current Employee - QA Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - QA Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

It is utterly refreshing to see how well a development team can run when they are self-managed and passionate about their work. It's rewarding to see problems solved and deployed in a quick and efficient manner without excessive meetings and egos.

Here's a small list of Pros that I haven't seen in other reviews:

- The catered lunches on Tues/Thurs allow for "brown bag" meetings where engineers can share new technologies they're excited about and innovative side-projects like Roombots
    - Top-notch Marketing team
    - Very responsive and effective IT department
    - Amazing internally developed tools that facilitate and automate our work
    - Very open and quick company-wide communication

Cons

When we strive to not only to be good, but be devastatingly good at what we do-- it can be intimidating. It can also be huge motivator.

Advice to Management

Things are going great. Let's keep doing good work.

"MX=Passionate, talented people"

Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT
    Current Employee - Engineer in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Everybody who succeeds at MX can be described with one word: passionate. I’ve seen all the C-levels working on weekends, and at 3am. They don’t just unplug at 5pm, and they expect others to do the same, and be just as passionate. If you are one of those people who wants a stable, stress-free, 9-5 job, this is not the place. Period. The expectations are high, because the stakes are high. The things that the company has already done, and will do in the future, are incredible. There is such a rush in building a product and tool that will change millions, perhaps billions of lives, and having everybody around you sharing that goal and level of dedication. When something breaks, we aren’t looking for who to blame, but how can we fix it and avoid the problem in the future.

On the flip side, when somebody isn’t playing by these rules, and looks to throw blame around, or doesn’t care as deeply at building, morale drops like a rock. Management is quick to fix the problem, before that can happen, so I thank them for it. I’ve heard it said dozens of times: we hire for the right attitude and passion, not for skills, which can be learned. That being the case, the people I work with have incredible skills and knowledge, and are willing to share and mentor what they know. We don’t just have a few rock-stars, a few prima-donnas who do whatever they want and couldn’t care less about anybody else, we have a full orchestra of skilled people working together to create things that are simply exceptional.

The perks MX offers are pretty awesome: catered lunch 2 days a week, dinner whenever you work late, very-well stocked break room, UTA passes, laundry service, the list goes on. They provide these perks to draw the best talent, and to allow employees to focus on what’s important. So far, it seems to be working quite well.

Cons

The hardest part of growing a company from the startup phase is keeping the passionate/building culture of a startup, while greatly increasing the number of employees. Red tape becomes a necessary evil to manage resources and time, but management does what they can to keep things at a minimum. We’ve arrived at where we are at because management doesn’t accept anything but the best, and will say “This isn’t good enough, we need to make it better.” Most of the time, this is the extra push we need to make things better than we imagined, but sometimes, it simply isn’t possible. In that case, you’re stuck between a rock and a hard place: high expectations, and not enough resources/time to make it happen. Something has to give. Usually management understands, and the deadline is pushed back, or more resources are allocated, but before that happens, a lot of anger and frustration can develop. Not to mention stress. They want to have their cake, and eat it too, and demand that you make it happen. Put another way: good, cheap, fast; they want all three.

I’ve never grown a company to this size, so maybe demanding perfection is the only way to make it happen. However, in my opinion, the attitude of micromanagement is great for a startup who is still trying to get its feet under it, and doesn’t have a lot of resources to spare. Not for a company with 200 employees and plenty of cash. Stretching employees a little helps them to grow, but stretch them too much, and things slide through the cracks, and they can break from the stress. There is a fine line between the two, and I feel management is flirting awfully close to that line at times.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing, and thank you for the culture you've created. At the same time, remember to crawl before you walk. Sometimes getting it 100% perfect the first time isn't going to happen, and just getting something off the ground will be hard enough

"Be Cautious"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Lehi, UT

I have been working at MX (More than a year)

Pros

We are building a great product and there are some very talented individuals contributing. The ideas and mission the company is built on are well thought out and easy to get behind. Benefits are good and we do fun things like attend movie premiers and have parties for holidays. There is free food in the break rooms, catered lunches two times a week, and dinners if you stay late, discounted laundry services, and unlimited PTO (that some people use and others avoid, depending on their department and boss).

Cons

Be cautious of who you put your trust in and be sure to make friends with the right people. There are many intelligent, wonderful individuals I work with everyday, but some very manipulative and arrogant leaders as well. I have been asked to sacrifice time with family, friends and my personal endeavors to contribute more to the company. When I have gone out of my way to show that the company is more important than my personal life, I have been openly rewarded. I have watched others become burnt out and then cast aside when they try to regain some balance in their life. If you are at a place in your life where you want work to be your life then MX is a great place for you. I have heard leaders tell people that their families will understand why they see them so little when they realize what we are working on is so important. If you really believe this, then you will be very happy here. They call this "passion".
    When people leave the company or are terminated it's always a surprise and big mystery of why they left. It makes work very uncomfortable, like you are always walking on egg shells hoping you don't do the same thing as the others who didn't make the cut.