KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of AppLovin
Is this your company?

MZ

Add a Review

MZ Employee Reviews about "mz"

Updated Jan 14, 2021

Found 26 of over 310 reviews

3.3
MZ CEO Adam Foroughi (no image)
Adam Foroughi

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and you can expect as much as the bigger companies in the valley.(in 34 reviews)
  • "smart people working hard.(in 25 reviews)
  • "Free food and snacks but that's about it.(in 22 reviews)
  • "The company rewards great contributions with great pay(in 20 reviews)
  • "Great culture (on my team at least)(in 14 reviews)
Cons
  • "Due to all of this there was just a lot of bad management and results that were accepted.(in 21 reviews)
  • "No work/life balance(in 19 reviews)
  • "Between politics and careless middle and upper management you can expect your career to take a hit.(in 10 reviews)
  • "Long hours are based on lack of leadership You will be shunned if you don't eat lunch with your team everyday.(in 9 reviews)
  • "The clueless and childish managers following the CEO are what one expect from a place like this.(in 8 reviews)
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "mz"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

Very Competitive Team

Oct 10, 2019 - LiveOp Manager in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

This is a job that can help you grow your hard skills. This is my first month, and I feel like learning a lot of stuffs. I mean hard skills like SQL, python, which really help you increase your value in the market. If you are young and passionate about game industry, this is the right place for you. I would love more people join LiveOp team. This is best team for you to grow in MZ. Plus you have awesome teammates and super nice boss :)

Cons

You have to get used to game industry culture.

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

great work environment

Apr 6, 2016 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you're smart, self-motivated, hard working, and love working on the cutting edge of technology, MZ might be for you! Overall it's a great place to work, and with awesome benefits.

Cons

The long hours could be a put-off to some, but that's a matter of personal taste.

11 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for taking time to share your feedback about working at MZ! These are very exciting times for our Company and we strive to hire talented people who are excited to contribute to the great projects we are working on here. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

3. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

a place to contribute and learn

Feb 20, 2017 - TechOps Engineer
    Business Outlook

Pros

I enjoy working here. There are a lot of nice, friendly and professional people. I feel like I'm contributing a lot. I'm getting positive and some corrective feedback from my manager which helps me. I have friends among peers and I stay in touch with many ex-employees. I'm not very experienced in Silicon Valley market and I can't compare with many other companies. From others gassdoor reviews I learned that in other companies you get more money, work less, and be cared for. That is ok. I like demands and a little of stress of working in MZ. It lets to deliver a lot of value and keeps in shape. I've had a few different managers within short period of time and our team had many different initiatives. It's a challenge to get along with new people often and to learn new things often. It makes me feel safe about my career, as I know that I can work with anyone and do whatever market demands to be done, and be happy doing that. It's unlike to very slow companies where you stay in the same project and in the same team for years and you don't really know if the market still needs you for real. Besides contract terms, I get a lot of additional help from the company in form of perks, some legal support, trainings, business trips, bonuses.

Cons

Some people a frustrated working here. If you don't like working in a dynamic place and you wouldn't like to improve your flexibility, it may be not the best place to stay.

3 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

Thanks for sharing your review about working at MZ. Our company is incredibly dynamic and there are times where we quickly shift our priorities to better support the overall goals of MZ. Due to this quick movement we do have a very fast paced culture but that agility is what has allowed us to become the top of our industry creating incredible new projects and chart topping games. I am happy to hear that you enjoy working on meaningful projects and are excited about pushing yourself to keep learning and contributing in such a positive way.

4. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Out of a horror movie

Jul 2, 2018 - Support in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Exceptional minds and great staff at the non executive level.

Cons

Literally everything. MZ is a hostile work environment.

31 people found this review helpful
  5. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Senior SRE

Sep 30, 2016 - Senior SRE in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

If you like mobile games, they do well on that. Pay is pretty good. They do marketing well. They move fast. The perks are solid. The SREs are good people. They work hard.

Cons

Culture. MZ has a fear based culture. There's a lot of finger pointing and people working to avoid taking blame when anything breaks. This ties into the lack of ownership. People write systems then hand them off so they can't be blamed when they break. Priorities change often. Long hours. Little recognition when things go well. Blame when things break. Lots of ticket work, not much engineering. SRE largely does production work that other teams don't want to do and that doesn't have a well defined owner. Employees are treated like children. They are not respected. SRE has been instructed never to communicate with (one) other team without going through management. Talking to upper management is strongly discouraged. Employees get yelled at. SRE (and other tech roles) has a high attrition rate. When people give notice to resign, they are often asked to 'voluntarily' resign effective immediately without any severance. The company asks new hires to rate them on Glassdoor during orientation before they actually get to know the company.

85 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

We agree that the benefits and perks offered at MZ are pretty “solid.” We are constantly evaluating the market to ensure we are paying well and our benefit and perk programs are competitive. We do this because we value our employees and want them to be invested in the work they do. In regards to employees leaving MZ there are a lot of factors that go in to the decision for an employee and MZ to part ways. We respect the privacy of all our employees and do not feel it is appropriate to comment. Should you have any remaining concerns you are welcome to reach out to melissa@mz.com.

6. 4.0

Challenge Accepted!

May 24, 2017 - Manager in Las Vegas, NV
    Business Outlook

Pros

MZ time is an unique concept. We move a lightning speed and the projects we take on are enormous. We have big goals: 'reach for the stars' aspirations, and we are determined to will them into reality NOW. That kind of vision requires dedication and determination as well as some patience. MZ is the most challenging environment I've ever worked within, it's also the most rewarding. I've grown so much in the last year and a half that I am not only a better employee and manager, but a better person, as well. The amazing feeling of looking back at a year's progress to marvel over visions realized is well worth every OT hour and every frustrating moment it took to do it.

Cons

There's always something that could make things faster, better, easier, cleaner, or less work, but I believe I learned more from the mistakes I've made, from the challenges I overcame and from the roadblocks I smashed than I would have if they weren't present at all. Every company has it's challenges. We work through them and learn from them.

126 people found this review helpful
  7. 5.0
    Current Employee, more than 3 years

Input = Output

Jun 5, 2019 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MZ is a great place for folks who are motivated by their personal growth. There's very little that gets in the way of making big contributions, and impact is regularly recognized and rewarded. There's huge potential for people that are self driven and not afraid of stepping up. That said, MZ is not for the faint of heart or folks just looking for a job. Awesome perks and benefits that outclass most any other privately held company, and rival any of the name brand public companies like Google, FB, etc. Last years change in executive leadership and renewed focus on gaming has been a blessing! Teams are more focused and aligned, and the tone around campus is brighter than I've seen in years.

Cons

Very aggressive schedules and goals. Makes an exciting work environment, but also takes it's toll. We are a business and need to keep the bills paid, but hopeful we can find a bit more balance between company objectives, catering to our player base, and employee lifestyles.

9 people found this review helpful
  8. 5.0

Exciting job

Apr 9, 2017 - Marketing in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fast paced environment where the company is doing very well and there is a high degree of enthusiasm for our future. The launch of our new platform project has created a lot of opportunity for stimulating work and promises to take MZ to the next level. Pay and benefits are very competitive and if platform works the stock will be a huge bonus on top.

Cons

If you are not prepared to work hard and think, this may not be the place for you.

15 people found this review helpful
  9. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Real life Borderlands

Jun 11, 2017 - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Startup environment where you can do a lot and learn a lot. - Competitive pay and perks

Cons

I was with MZ and was treated well during my stay there. But I didn't like it for some reason. Today, I was playing Borderlands and suddenly realized why. The CEO of MZ is exactly like Jack in the Borderlands, successful yet weird, with lots of ego. This passes down to the whole company and essentially forms the culture of the company. And this alone explains why the reviews here are highly polarized. Someone happens to be on the winning team and tends to think they are gods. If you happen not to on winning team, life is tough. It's exactly like the settings of Borderlands. Although games are still hugely successful, it's not my reason to join MZ at first and I couldn't find a way to agree with the cause and culture of MZ. Therefore I left.

41 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Run. Don't look back. Keep on running.

Oct 5, 2016 - SRE in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

MZ has great people on most of the non-management levels (Art, Animation, SRE, DevOps, etc). Free food (breakfast, lunch, and dinner are served in house), snacks are constantly being filled.

Cons

Once you get past interacting with individual contributors, and start interacting with management, MZ starts to fall to tatters. The SRE team is one of the most intense positions in the company, and has an alarming turnover rate. As an SRE you will be instructed that regardless of the game's stability and availability being your priority, and that you are ensuring the game is up and stable, your top priority is to create as many tickets in jira as you possibly can, and close them. That is how the company will attempt to measure your 'commitment' to the company. Read an email and have to think about it? Create a ticket. Gathering information on one of the dozens of infrastructure pieces and projects? Create another ticket. Testing some changes? Create a ticket. *Every* *single* *action* ***requires*** *a* *ticket*. At MZ, SRE is another name for 'NoC'. You will be required to deal with more monitoring tasks than actual Engineering. If you hope to make an impact, you will be driven into a corner and told that you are not behaving like a model employee and you need to get in line. Having an opinion, or forward thinking will get you nowhere here. Pay is below average for the Bay Area. Parking, due to the building being under construction, requires that anyone that is not an executive take a shuttle. Prior to complaints from employees, the lot was not even patrolled regularly.

100 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

We are a results driven company and use data to influence and drive a multitude of business decisions, in addition to calculating salary increases and discretionary bonuses. We are all responsible for tracking metrics and in some cases that may include a ticketing system. MZ is only as successful as our employees and we are committed to investing in everyone’s development. While your review indicates you no longer work for MZ you are welcome to still reach out to melissa@mz.com should you wish to share any additional concerns or constructive feedback.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 26 Reviews