KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Part of AppLovin
Is this your company?

MZ

Add a Review

MZ Employee Reviews about "work life balance"

Updated Mar 10, 2021

Found 25 of over 310 reviews

3.3
MZ CEO Adam Foroughi (no image)
Adam Foroughi

Technical Account Manager

60 Comments

Join the conversation on

Top Review Highlights by Sentiment

Pros
  • "Benefits are great and you can expect as much as the bigger companies in the valley.(in 34 reviews)
  • "smart people working hard.(in 26 reviews)
  • "Free food and snacks but that's about it.(in 22 reviews)
  • "The company rewards great contributions with great pay(in 17 reviews)
  • "Great culture (on my team at least)(in 14 reviews)
Cons
Pros & Cons are excerpts from user reviews. They are not authored by Glassdoor.

Reviews about "work life balance"

Return to all Reviews
  1. 1.0

Silicon Valley Mercenarism at its worst

May 3, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good pay and tangible perks - You will get pay above market, you will be nourished as Hansel and Gretel and you will get opportunities to have more if you work insane hours, perform, drink, help, create and distribute the Company Kool-Aid. Ambitious Company and a seducing apparent place in the Sun - A confident promising red-eyed unicorn likely about to explode into Internet Dominion. Growth - This place will push your limits and force you to grow Talented wonderful people - They are plenty. Some Ronins have honor and noble goals for which work is just a means to an end.

Cons

And here is my critique: Notice: MZ, just like in all of its practices, is just as aggressive in its recruiting strategy and tactics. As you may notice from the responses and moderation to the reviews, it is actively involved. Untrained moderators (the recruiters, whose team has much turn-over as well) easily let the passive-aggressive defensiveness transpire through the lines out of a somewhat desperate attempt to gain some face by any means necessary. Positive reviews are all strongly encouraged, if not in fact insisted upon by your recruiter, right at the beginning when joining the company at the beginning of the honeymoon. I am of the opinion that without this practice, the overall rating would be way below average, even though it has already decreased by more than a point out of 5 in the last year. You have to give credit to the effort. Purely Mercenary: To make it at MZ, you have to be good at what you do, you have to be tough, you have to be in it for the love of surmounted pain from overcoming challenges that you thought were impossible, and then, your ultimate reward has to be cash - if it’s something else you are looking for, I don’t believe you will find it here. You’re well paid to do a job, do it well, do it hard, execute for as long as you are needed, don’t stir anything, go home home for the shortest period of time possible to recover because you need to and repeat. A ruthless aggressive company - The game model keeps being refined by pure data analysis and is successful because it is a clean cut scientific optimization of prime “house always wins” monetization mechanics. The model has nothing good to offer in terms of gaming experience creativity or art other than mathematically feeding the densest parts of its players’ addictions. MZ is not really a gaming company, the CEO says that himself, so if gaming culture is what you’re after, this is not it. No Soul, no heart, no joy - There is a total absence of articulated kindness or benevolence within the administration of this company; these attributes are seen as weakness. The high demands of the business leave little room for the sense of humor and lightheartedness gaming companies have been known for; the stress drives people to take themselves quite seriously. The meritocracy management claims to aim to create is false and arbitrary, I see it more as compliance. The core values may be sincere but they are in fact frightening, like straight out of a satire of what hardcore tech capitalism has brought Silicon Valley down to. MZ is a sad, cold place to work. My time there and the future vision I saw for this company seemed straight of a bad Orwellian dream. No work/life balance - if you have a family, there is a 100% guarantee your family life will suffer here and you will not get no sympathy for it. As claimed by leadership, that is the current price to play to win. It’s hard to win. He’s had it hard to get where he is. You’re going to have it hard too to keep him there and follow his lead forward. Serious time sacrifices are very much part of the check.

72 people found this review helpful
  2. 1.0
    Former Employee, more than 3 years

They work you like a Dog

Apr 4, 2022 - Head of Live Operations in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Good Perks - Made some good friends

Cons

- Horrible hours - No work/life balance - Low pay - No career advancement - Once they know you're exploring opportunities at another company, they will fire you.

2 people found this review helpful
  3. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Start believing the exit interviews!

Jan 18, 2018 - Anonymous Employee in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits, parties Hard working teams

Cons

Cameras on you constantly, probably down to keystroke level No work life balance - mandatory 10-7 plus most people commute Driven by fear and inconsistent leadership - C level No long term plan

30 people found this review helpful
  4. 1.0

Tons of Fake Reviews here

May 24, 2018 -
    Business Outlook

Pros

High Pay (unless you look at it hourly)

Cons

Terrible work life balance and even worse managment. There's also a ton of fake reviews on this site. You'll have to go back to March like 9 pages in to get a real sense of what it's like here.

40 people found this review helpful
  5. 5.0
    Current Employee

Great company, amazing benefits

Oct 2, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

- Great technical challenges - Great culture (on my team at least) - Great leadership

Cons

- Work life balance is not competitive on many teams

21 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for the positive feedback. We have worked hard to create an environment where talented people are excited about their work and the Company. We appreciate you taking the time to write a review.

6. 2.0
    Former Employee, more than 1 year

Upper management does not care about employees

Aug 2, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Good perks...they provide lots of snacks a meals. Enjoyed my coworkers...lots of smart fun people. They know how throw good parties.

Cons

Management does not care about employees. Will let you go without a good reason. Environment is stale. Work/life balance is terrible.

47 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

We appreciate you sharing your feedback. MZ is only as successful as our people; we are fully invested in training our managers and providing them the tools and support they need to lead effective teams that have the will to win. When an employee parts ways with MZ it is not taken lightly. We respect the privacy of those people who no longer work here and do not feel it is appropriate to comment. If you would like to discuss any of these issues further or provide additional feedback, please contact Melissa@mz.com.

7. 1.0

I would give a 0-star if available

Dec 19, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

I would give a 0-star for this company if available, so the only pro is that, 0-star is not available on glassdoor!

Cons

I would give a 0-star for this company if available: - It cannot be even called a company or corporation as there's 0 organization, but full of chaos. - The culture is also 0, as the only thing you can see is letting people go with 0 reason. - There's 0 truth in what the recruiters' bluffing. Their only job is to lure you in with 0 ethics. There's 0 work life balance and you're not even appreciated even if you work day and night.

33 people found this review helpful
  8. 4.0
    Current Employee, more than 1 year

Massive Tech

Jan 3, 2016 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Highly energetic and exciting. Opportunity to work with the best team in Silicon Valley

Cons

Difficult work life balance

13 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

Thank you for you taking the time to write a review. It is one of our main priorities to make sure we are hiring top talent and we at Machine Zone are proud of all the great employees we have here. These are exciting times for the Company and we do have a fast paced culture but we work hard to ensure our employees are recognized and appreciated for all their hard work.

9. 1.0

Shake My Head MZ....

May 18, 2017 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

Great benefits Endless amounts of food (breakfast, lunch, dinner) and drinks Building relationships

Cons

Management Lack of communication between management and colleagues No work life balance Cliquey Untrustworthy people

59 people found this review helpful
  10. 1.0

Far from a 5-Star Company

Jan 11, 2016 - Senior Software Engineer in Palo Alto, CA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Super intelligent people People work hard and won't stop until the mission is accomplished People execute better than any other company I've ever worked at

Cons

No work life balance Little recognition and if there is recognition, it is poorly provided and not well received The culture is very execution driven. You gain the sense from leadership that your job is always on the line. It isn't a fun and positive place to be, but more like a sweat shop. Would never recommend this place to work at if you have a ton of working experience in the valley. This place is for young people that have no idea what a positive working environment is, what work-life balance is, or what it means to feel good about your job.

111 people found this review helpful

Global Head of People Operations

Thank you taking the time to provide your feedback about your experience here at Machine Zone. We are glad that you agree that Machine Zone has incredibly bright and motivated employees, and while the fast-paced culture of Machine Zone is not a good fit for everyone, this is a very busy time for the Company as we are experiencing tremendous growth. We believe that most of our employees love the excitement and pace of Machine Zone and view it as a positive culture. It is very important to Machine Zone and our leadership team to create a culture where our employees are recognized and appreciated for all their hard work. We are sorry that you were not a good fit for the company and wish you luck on your next opportunity.

Viewing 1 - 10 of 25 Reviews