MaPS Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated December 7, 2016

Full-time Part-time

Rating Trends Rating Trends
Chris Petranto

1. "Great Place to Start, Tough Place to Stay"

Pros

Lots of Analytical Skill Development

Cons

Non-existing work-life balance, lopsided client relationships leading to overworking of junior staff

"Solid First Job"

Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Analyst in Boston, MA

I have been working at MaPS full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

This is a very good first job out of college, I think many of the newer employees feel this way. It is an amazing location, honestly there isn't any other place in the city I would rather be. Right near Copley square and awesome lunch spots nearby. Also we are across the street from Georgetown cupcakes where they give away free cupcakes every day at 10am. Did I mention that we work across the street?

This is a very young company with regards to employees, practically everyone you work with on a daily basis is under 30 with most of the company 25ish and under. Coworkers are very smart people and come from a lot of great schools. (but Boston College easily wins with regards to numbers)

In terms of work, it has its ups and downs like any job. The work we do on a daily basis is generally a bit boring, but differs day to day. More interesting parts of the day include team meetings and client calls. We are working with big clients because we offer a premium market research service and we charge them accordingly. Some clients include Wal-Mart, Dunkin Donuts, AT&T, Adobe, IBM, Pfizer & many more. It is definitely a plus working with familiar companies that you actually interact with on a regular basis. More boring parts of the day include testing surveys and catching small programming errors. Attention to detail is important!

Hours are longer than a normal work week, but highly variable week to week depending on your two projects. Pay is competitive and significantly higher than Glassdoor states, recently salaries were bumped up across the board. Other random things, we have bagels on Monday, happy hours every Friday, and usually have a company sports team depending on the season. Promotions also happen quickly if you fit in and are interested in sticking around at the company. This company is looking to expand in size and scope.

Cons

I wrote everything in one giant blob, see above.

Advice to Management

#giveanalystsbiggermonitors

3. "Good as a Stepping Stone to Better Opportunities"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

I worked at MaPS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- You handle projects with Fortune 100 clients
    - Location
    - Free Snacks/Food depending on location
    - Somewhat competitive pay (not nearly as good compared to nearby companies)
    - Everyone is hard working/appear friendly

Cons

First off, why the 1 star? Because, this review is with the perspective that there are much better companies out there, so I would give MaPS a 1 star compared to companies like Google, Facebook, Uber, etc. If you don't aspire to work at industry-leading places like the ones mentioned, then ignore this review..

List of Cons:

- Work is robotic/manual/tedious/low-impact (Ex: Survey testing, checking data, checking reports)
    - You will be doing the same boring work for your entirety at the company until you finally get to the director level in which you will still be doing manual/tedious work but at least you will be handling direct client relations.
    - The skill you gain are not transferable beyond "attention to detail" and "hard working"
    - All the tech/machine learning/engineering departments are in India, so forget about hopes of transitioning into a more technical role. Also, the company uses SAS primarily which is the least useful language to know in today's job market.
    - Everyone goes down the same career path meaning you are literally competing against the people you work with for a promotion. This creates an attitude of "I'm only helping you because I need a promotion...". No real team spirit is ever fostered, just self-preservation and advancement.
    - As I said, it might depend on the office location, but most people here typically have a very vague idea of what they want to do in the future (recent grads), so you won't be having the most engaging conversations with them about the future of the industry, startups, business news, etc.
    - You probably won't be working with the people in your office as teams are spread out across the US.

Angry Rant:
    Listen, the work here is BORING. Plain and simple. You must really love the idea that market research surveys are an accurate and worthwhile thing for companies to do. I don't believe in the future of this company or market research in general. Machine learning and predictive analytics will massively outpace market research in the next 2-3 years due to how much cheaper and accessible it will be as data science evolves. BUT, I can see the use/need for market research, so again, you must REALLY like market research to work here.

My biggest quip with this company is how RIDICULOUS their "data analysis" really is. If you have any interest in real data analysis, look elsewhere. The extent of the data analysis performed here is determining which of two numbers is larger. And the company charges $$$$ for that information...

The website....seriously, have you seen the website? Take that as an indication of how old-fashioned this company is. No wonder they're having trouble acquiring new businesses from the big name tech companies...

If you are seriously considering working here, read the 1 star reviews. I agree with all their sentiments, even the older ones. Pretty much nothing has changed. Senior management just sticks to what they know: market research. Unfortunately, they do not know how to do Marketing, HR, Engineering, Business Development, Business Operations, etc. Pretty much anything that is required to build a decent business, management just kind of wings it and hopes for the best.

My opinion is that the 4-5 star reviews are employees content with sticking to market research (tedious/boring work imo) as long as they are getting promoted and have a stable job. If you are okay with that, then by all means, this company will be a good fit for you, but if you have even the tiniest bit of entrepreneurial spirit in you, look elsewhere.

You can go ahead and go on LinkedIn and look at past employees and see how they transitioned out of MaPS to better companies. Also take a look at the upper management profiles and see how unspectacular their LinkedIn profiles are...Not saying you need to come from a prestigious background, but if you're looking to grow a business, it kind of helps to know a lot of smart people. It just goes to show old-fashioned some of these managers really are.

This place will be a good resume builder to get that "1-2 years experience" but don't expect to be happy here if you are a free/creative thinker, and certainly don't expect to learn a lot of relevant and in-demand skills in today's job market. If you're looking for a long term company, I would suggest going somewhere else.

Advice to Management

actually train your employees beyond "ask your manager"...increase specialization so people can actually do things that they are good at/want to do. Look at SurveyMonkey as an example of what's possible...

"Inside-the-Box Consulting Sweatshop"

Former Employee - Consultant in Boston, MA

Pros

1. Salary (for entry-level position)
    2. 5 Weeks PTO
    3. Happy Hour Wednesdays & Bagel Mondays
    4. Frequent promotions for those who succeed under good management*

I was hired as a Consultant, but the role/responsibilities are almost identical (just greater in volume) to the Research Analyst role, what most people are hired as after they graduate from college. The job/role offers a lot of good skills, as you get a good amount of exposure to Microsoft Excel, Powerpoint, Tableau, and also get to learn a good amount about querying data, quantitative analysis, and different research methodologies. Also, if you are good at taking direction and sucking up to those higher on the corporate ladder, you will definitely enjoy the job.

Cons

1. Poor management - project managers are promoted without any leadership qualifications
    2. Hierarchical structure - decisions are often justified with "the Partner/Director said so"
    3. Tedious tasks - I was asked by a partner to drive 20+ miles to find a Wal-Mart receipt
    4. Stubbornly process-oriented - inside-the-box thinking
    5. Work-life balance - pick any review here and you will find some mention of this

If I could describe this company in 1 word, it would be: anti-startup. The only similarity is the number of hours worked…there are lots of politics involved, decisions made and orders given without explanation, and if you challenge the status quo, even with logic, people will pull rank to oppose you.

Make no mistake, it's a consulting firm, and as many others have pointed out, be prepared to stay past 7,8,9,10... several nights of the week or several weeks/months at a time. The culture is all about working at any/all points of the day & weekends - which is why they give you nice iPhone 6's to check email with. Oftentimes the work is extremely tedious (checking numbers, copying/pasting data, formatting slides) and can be automated if the company just realizes that maybe the stubborn processes in place should be updated once in a while. However, the bigger underlying issue is the management structure in place.

My biggest complaint is that most project managers (PM) are horrible at managing client expectations. The majority of most clients' relationships with MaPS can be illustrated like this:

1) Client orders MaPS to do "A" (which can be illogical at times)
    2)MaPS does "A" with very little pushback and no questions asked
    3) Client changes their mind and wants "B" (and gives no additional time)
    4) MaPS scrambles frantically to do "B" in effort to appease client.

This continues, except the next time through the client wants more, and so the junior staff ends up working more, and so on… Worst of all, if/when the client doesn't renew with MaPS the team is blamed for not performing well, and this is unfairly reflected on the career/project review.

Advice to Management

One thing I learned at this company is that the senior management doesn't really listen to anyone outside of themselves.

"Run Away Fast"

Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

Pros

Salary is competitive. Free coffee. Free sugar for your coffee. Young and enthusiastic new employees but sadly that is quickly ruined.

Cons

Very arrogant people. No creative thinking. Like a sweatshop. Zero work/life balance. It's their way or no way. No sense of community. 60-70 hour work week. Every project is a crisis. Clients completely take advantage of employees and management allows it. If your not a partner you are lower than dirt. If you considering MaPS, run away as fast as you can. It's a terrible place to work. Miserable office environment. Even the social events are planned and managed to the point of not being fun. Did I mention arrogant people? Most common phrase heard by management: "We don't do things that way".

Advice to Management

Treat your employees like humans not machines.

"Works you to the bone"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Pros

- If you're willing to put in the hours (the rest of the reviews are not kidding about the required 50 hours, but frequent 60 hour weeks), you'll be rewarded with promotions, and quickly
     - People heed deadlines
     - I got really good at excel pretty quickly

Cons

- Pay was *not* competitive for the bay area, and not worth the hours.
     - Terrible work/life balance. They instated a test of "summer hours," which were a cruel joke. The expectation with summer hours was that you could leave by 7 (as long as you didn't have more work to do). I felt like I was being treated like a child.
     - Poor management training. I went from partial management of a person to managing a person, a project, and a client overnight with no additional training and no additional support until I asked for it.
     - Extremely high stress environment due to deadlines.
     - Most of the programs that we use (other than Excel) are not used by other companies, so there's little transfer value to other companies.
     - Other review say the people are really interesting, but I found that everyone was kind of the same. Very hard workers, very heads down, business backgrounds, a desire to move up the ladder. However, I guess this is to be expected since everyone does the same job (but at different levels).

Advice to Management

A tiny bit more pushback on clients would send the message to employees that their sanity has some value.

8. "Good upward mobility"

Pros

They promote often, great coworkers, they try to promote work/life balance

Cons

It's easy to lose a sense of the purpose of your job

9. "Market research and consulting"

I have been working at MaPS full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

I get to use data to help clients with business problems. Data isn't subjective. It tells a story. I see the impact I help to contribute and its meaningful. This company is great about promoting within to those who work hard and deserve it, hence you see a young and pretty senior staff.

Cons

With working hard comes the hours. It's like any other consulting firm. You have to put in the work to get the reward.

Advice to Management

Share more stories with the staff. We don't all know our firm's history or where we're headed. Remember that many of the staff are new.

"Worked here for less than a year"

Pros

quick promotions, interesting clients if you get on good projects

Cons

long hours, low salary, bad culture

Advice to Management

improve work life balance, rotate projects more often

"Stay away if you want to have a life away from work"

Former Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Consultant in Waltham, MA

I worked at MaPS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Exposure to big name clients. A lot of knowledgeable coworkers. Team atmosphere, happy hours on Friday in the office to encourage building relationships with coworkers.

Cons

Long hours. Unclear definition of responsibilities. Zero help from peers due to entire staff being buried with work. Normally I would say take these glassdoor reviews with a grain of salt when it comes to the negative comments- but I wish I hadn't before being hired here. Read them carefully. If you dont want to be in the office until 8, 9, 10 at night- I suggest you skip your interview. Because it will happen. More than you think. Their 'summer hours' is a joke. Dont buy into it, because you'll still leave late- or find yourself working at home until 1am.

Advice to Management

You lose, minimum, 10 analysts a year. You're getting a ton of new work and new clients, and while you are hiring to take on this larger workload- your staff is still a revolving door. For every 2 you hire, you lose 1. It puts a strain on your Consultants, your Partners, and your clients. Your clients ask for more resources and you're too busy trying to get more work in the door. My suggestion is to bulk up on staff. You're hiring college grads, you're not going to retain them for more than 2 years at most. Hire 10 more people than you think you need. 1. This qill show your current staff you understand whats happening, you understand their frustrations and youre trying to mitigate that, and prepare for it. 2. This will take some stress off the current staff by cutting their hours. They will also know they have people to assign to their projects after someone leaves. 3. When someone does leave- and they will- it wont mean someone has to work 60hrs a week until they get a replacement. If there isnt a ton of work to be done, their time will be spent shadowing others to gain more experience. When they are needed, they'll be experienced enough to take on that workload. Your senior staff gets just as stressed when they lose a consultant, as they do when they are handed an analyst that was just hired 2 weeks ago. The only way to help your revolving door situation is to be prepared for it. Note: I know for a fact some people there are working 60-70hrs in a week, but wont log it as such. I know you encourage them to be honest with their timecards, but they aren't.