Mac-Gray Reviews | Glassdoor

Mac-Gray Reviews

Mac-Gray Chairman and CEO Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.
Stewart Gray MacDonald Jr.

1. "Gain great experience, don't expect advancement"

Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA
    Former Employee - Marketing in Waltham, MA

I worked at Mac-Gray full-time (More than a year)

Pros

- Low-stress work environment. A pleasant place to work with nice people.
    - Some departments offer the ability to gain varied experience; a great foundation/stepping stone to other opportunities
    - Flexible schedules and very generous paid time off opportunities. Perks like Summer Fridays.
    - Industry leader in laundry constantly making improvements to its service offering

Cons

- Professional advancement is important to me, and was something I emphasized upon hire. As I excelled at my position and positions above me opened up, it was disheartening to see that in spite of the fact that I was told Mac-Gray hires from the inside, they absolutely prefer bringing in new hires from outside. It's discouraging and encourages high turnover
    - In conjunction with the above, formal annual review process is in place, but seems to be just for show. A good review does not translate to higher monetary compensation (there is a "standard annual raise") or improved opportunities. Mac-Gray does not take employee development seriously.
    - While some benefits (time off) are impressive, pay is very low and healthcare could use improvement.
    - Has a very large, corporate feel to it. Innovation is not encouraged in departments other than R&D. The corporate structure has a very slow and bloated feel to it, minimizing adaptability and creativity.
    - Company technology (computers/software) are slow and outdated, contributing to major inefficiency and frustration.
    - Service department needs improvement for the rest of the company to function effectively.

Advice to Management

- To avoid turnover it is so important to value your top employees and move them forward. I have seen promising hires leave much to the shock of management, and I can't understand their surprise. No one compensated the top employees for their hard work; their exit was inevitable. Please take annual reviews seriously and structure in monetary incentives that seriously reward hard work. Good hires are hard to come by; value them.
    - Throw out all of your computers and buy new ones. The technology is painfully outdated.
    - Human Resources needs improvement. Training is great but compensation, benefits, and a culture created by HR are sub-par.

2. "Field Technician"

Former Employee - Field Technician
    Former Employee - Field Technician

Pros

Steady work, company provided vehicle.

Cons

The calls are overwhelming. Company uses used parts causing increased call load.

Advice to Management

Quality is important. Formal tech training would be valuable. A career path would be nice.