MacArthur Foundation Reviews | Glassdoor

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Manager"

Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

They people at the Foundation are outstanding and always willing to work with you, assist you and open to discuss your thoughts on a situation.

Cons

As long as all deadlines are meet, great. Miss one - OOPS. The senior staff are always watching.

2. "Old and traditional company to stay clear from"

Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Former Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I worked at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor

Pros

Health benefits and some of the people, but that's about it.

Cons

Lower than market pay for the newer staff and no upward mobility unless someone leaves, and a position opens up.

Not open door policy, upper management has 95% of the say in key decisions.

If you've worked here for many years, the retirement benefits are really good, however, you have to be here for 15 years to realize that benefit.

Try to save money by hiring seasonal temporary workers, but do not communicate a clear idea of the term they will be on-boarded for.

3. "Awesome environment, awesome people!"

Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Company is like a family, everyone is friendly and value the work/life balance.

Cons

No Cons, just don't expect an offer after internship.

4. "Laborer review"

Former Employee - Laborer in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Laborer in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation (Less than a year)

Pros

The things i really enjoyed while working at MacArthur was learning the process of the business and how everything works along with they promoted internally

Cons

The Cons of working at MacArthur was working out in the yard doing manual labor

5. "Great internship program"

Former Intern - Intern in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The intern program gave an overview of the Foundation as a whole
    I felt valued and integrated into the work of my program area
    Lots of great opportunities to network within the Foundation and at outside events

Cons

Outside of administrative staff, they seem to hire almost exclusively people with advanced degrees, which makes it improbable to move from undergraduate intern to new hire - if that is what you are looking for in an internship.

6. "Absolutely fantastic programs and people"

Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant (Contracted) in Chicago, IL
    Former Contractor - Administrative Assistant (Contracted) in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

Very supportive and intelligent people: patient and caring, doing amazing work to help the world. I had the pleasure to work on the International Programs team on assignment and met a lot of important people around the world - Please keep up the wonderful work.

Cons

The programs could be more intuitive when completing finance paperwork, but that is a small issue they are correcting at the time. The office space was a little dim, some team members brought in their own lamps.

Advice to Management

You do important work for the world, keep up the programs and partner with smaller nonprofits in the United States to improve maternal health and infant stats.

"Disappointed in leadership and treatment of administrative staff"

Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Administrative in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay and benefits; support of some great causes

Cons

Very poor management skills especially from the senior leaders. A few self-proclaimed super stars dominate the decision making. There is no clear vision for success for most. Staff members are encouraged to speak up and then are reprimanded when they do.

Advice to Management

Show that you value all levels of the staff. People from non-ivy league schools can have good ideas too!

8. "Amazing Foundation, awesome mission statement - dedication to making the world a better place."

Current Contractor - Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Contractor - Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation as a contractor (Less than a year)

Pros

This is the kind of dream job everyone should hope for, working for a foundation that provides world solutions to problems that effect lives of children, mothers, women and developing programs in collaboration with other organizations to make the world a better place

Cons

work-life balance is tough; especially when everyone brings so much caring and dedication to the many causes.

Advice to Management

Please continue your work in Africa

"As a Temp for several months I gave 100% for very little pay hoping it would make a difference, it didn't."

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Chicago, IL

I worked at MacArthur Foundation full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MacArthur has incredible staff who are friendly and willing to help you when you need resources. It's one of the best cultures I've ever worked in. There is a lot of self-sufficiency through-out Director and Manager levels but that may be because they aren't willing to hire full-time administrative help. I really enjoyed my position there and was really hoping that they would hire me but I did know their reputation going in.

Cons

MacArthur hires temps and interns who have a shelf life of just a few months. It's a shame because just when you get up to speed they let you go and bring on another temp or intern. Also, I could have been given more crucial work to do. When they interviewed me they were especially interested in my editing skills but they never gave me anything to read or edit. They didn't use most my talents or skillsets; they seemed to be content with my basic administrative skills.

Advice to Management

The constant use of temps is not an efficient way to run an organization. You spend months getting a temp up to speed and then you push them out the door to do it all over again.

"Awkward environment, micromanagement in certain areas."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I have been working at MacArthur Foundation full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Generous benefits and time off policy including holidays. Shortened workday of 7 hours.

Cons

Micromanagement - doesn't allow you to make decisions. They need to go all the way up through the CFO.
    Favoritism over some areas - a lot of areas work from home or are never in the office, while other departments are tied to their desk in the office.
    MacArthur Foundation is such a great place on the outside, but the inside is completely different.
    No opportunities for advancement
    A lot of older folks who are at retirement age, but still work there. So the foundation has an older more outdated way of handling things.

Advice to Management

Recognize good talent before they leave. Consider more flexibility across all departments instead of playing favorites. Be aware of individuals who are not adding value to the department and who treat others badly.