MacDonald-Bedford, LLC Reviews | Glassdoor

3.5
J. Zachary Bedford

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Professional Company"

Pros

Attends to the needs of its employees. Always makes sure that the mission statement of Mr. Bedford is applied to the client and its needs

Cons

training days always fall on 2 holidays.

2. "Okay"

Former Employee - Program Environmental Manager in Alexandria, VA
    Former Employee - Program Environmental Manager in Alexandria, VA

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC (More than a year)

Pros

They are based out of California and most the contracts are all over the country so nobody micro manages you.

Cons

MacDonald-Bedford does not pay competitive salaries.

Advice to Management

Pay your employees more

"Proven and Professional Service Disabled Veteran Owned Small Business (SDVOSB)"

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC part-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

13 year SDVOSB based in Alameda, CA (East SF Bay) with offices in San Diego, CA, Jacksonville, FL, NYC, NY, and sub-offices in Washington, DC, Denver, CO and Virginia Beach, VA. Pay and benefits are far above engineer-industry standards, including first-class Medical and Dental plans and a 4% 401k match program. MacDonald-Bedford (M-B) Management challenges and encourages all employees to execute a fantastic wellness plan and work-life balance, while implementing Individual Development Plans. The HQ, M-B Staff are professional, knowledgeable and provide timely and complete service and support. I've known the Owner/President for 30+ years. He demands loyalty, a full-days work and respect. In return, he provides a fair and professional employment climate, and a high level of pay and compensation. MacDonald-Bedford is a GREAT place to work.

Cons

As with all Small Businesses, resources are limited. However, this is transparent to field employees as the Owner attempts to meet annually, at the employee's work location, with every employee throughout the USA.

Advice to Management

Maintain course! Continue to require/challenge Team M-B to: BE LOYAL, PUT OTHERS BEFORE YOURSELF, BE REFLECTIVE, BE OBSESSIVELY ORGANIZED, ASSUME YOU DON'T KNOW ENOUGH, BE DETAIL-ORIENTED and NEVER GET COMFORTABLE.

"Great Company"

Current Employee - Project Manager in Lawrenceville, NJ
    Current Employee - Project Manager in Lawrenceville, NJ

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

MacDonald Bedford is a wonderful company to work for. The front office is always there to support you as we are mostly out on assignment. This is my first consulting job for a government entity, there are many rules to be followed and the staff are always there to guide to the right direction.

Cons

None that I can see.

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work.

5. "Kudos to a great company and support team"

Former Employee - Program Manager in Camp Atterbury, IN
    Former Employee - Program Manager in Camp Atterbury, IN

Pros

I worked with MacDonald/Bedford from Sept2013 to Mar2014. At which point I took short leave for an active duty position temporarily helping wounded warriors in the Warrior Transition Battalion at Fort Knox, Ky. I look forward to returning with MacDonald/Bedford. They have maintained communication with me since I have been gone and have given me great support and understanding. The Company supports veterans consistently and always has a polite and courteous support team at the corporate office. Again, Kudos to Mr. Bedford and his support team. Your the greatest.

Cons

Hopefully have greater selection of work location in the near future. Also, consider the overseas market.

Advice to Management

Keep up with what you are doing. Never leave a fallen soldier! The staff and management of MacDonald/Bedford to me is like a band of brothers and sisters. The greatest growth in a company is utilizing the combined knowledge and experience of its employees together while focusing on the same direction and values as its leadership.

6. "To be better at Tennis, you have to play with a better Tennis player."

Former Employee - Program and Project Management Specialist(Management in Raleigh, NC

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As National Guard Army Officer, Industrial Enginner, my faith and a combat war veteran, the chance to work for MacDonald-Bedford (M-B) was a fit both as a working professional and as a person with high ethics and high standards
    myself matched with M-B's core values to a T. Even with my field position being on the east coast, M-B owner, Zack Bedford, his spouse and staff provided required field support as an employee as through I was in the same building. Today's IT equipment has this capabilities for all companies, but it is the execution piece that sets M-B apart from others companies I have been personally associated with or worked for in the past 20+ years.

Cons

Federal Holidays should be just that - a holiday to enjoy with family and friends. Due to, I believe, contract reasons, M-B required mandated training to cover SHARP topics, additional Human Resource topics and hand picked topics by his staff based on their input or otherwise. However, due to a military conflict M-B provided a work around to allow my training to continue uninterrupted so the company is reasonable and has understanding.

Advice to Management

Continue doing what you are doing, providing U.S. Veterans and the honest hard working an outstanding opportunity to excel by working for M-B!

7. "MacDonald-Bedford is a great employer to work for."

Current Employee - Program and Project Management Specialist(Management in Lakehurst, NJ

I have been working at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

As a field employee working at Joint Base McGuire- Dix-Lakehurst Mr. Bedford and his HQ have been very responsive to my needs when I call. In my case my salary is set by the DoD so dealing with pay level is really out of his hands ,but if pay issues come up he works diligently to get them resolves. He makes it a point to visit his field employees once a year so he puts a face with a name. I believe his company offers a good benefit package and I have found that his staff is very respectful when dealing with me and they resolve any issues that may come up. Although I've never met Mr. Herrera in person , when dealing with him either by telephone or teleconferencing I'm left with the feeling that he has giving my problem 150% and he appears to run a tight ship. Mr. Bedford is lucky to have a person of his caliber .

Cons

Since I work on the east coast at Joint base McGuire-Dix- Lakehurst and his company is on the west coast you would expect that logistical problem come up now and then and they do. But as stated earlier once I identify them they work diligently to resolve them. I do feel that he should do his in house training on scheduled work days and not on the holidays.

Advice to Management

Consider changing the in house training to scheduled work days.

8. "Great Company, Great People"

Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Albans, WV
    Former Employee - Project Manager in Saint Albans, WV

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very straight forward managemnt style.....The organizations CEO is ex-military so he brought those core values with him. High expectations and good people to work with.Gave me my assignment, offered support but did not try and micromanage.....Treated you like an adult and were expected to act like an adult.....no problems there.

Cons

Don't really have any.....good folks to work with.....office manager and day to day staff were great.

Advice to Management

Again, don't have any.....overall a great experiance. Gave me a job when I was looking for a job....allowed me to take care of my family and I am grateful for that.......

9. "Good company to work for, as a field employee."

Former Employee - Engineering Technician
    Former Employee - Engineering Technician

I worked at MacDonald-Bedford, LLC full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-When interested in working as a service contract representative for the DoD, the government (military base) furnished my name to M-B, and they contacted me for a phone interview with Mr. Bedford. The interview was a relaxed conversation, that identified common interests and work styles. Mr. Bedford has a strong belief in his company and operates it in his own management style. He is a hands-on owner, that expects high quality work from his employees.
    -Excellent pay and benefits (as prescribed by DoD contract)
    -Field employees work autonomously from M-B, and work directly with their respective military base management
    -In-house support staff are knowledgeable, receptive, and helpful in answering questions and resolving issues. See cons below.

Cons

-When contacting the in-house staff, they seem to be overwhelmed in tasks, and working on short deadline projects. They seem stifled, because they need to run most decisions through Mr. Bedford (for approval). I have experienced this feeling with many of my concerns.
    -The time card reporting system was very cumbersome (when I worked there). An on-line payroll company (like ADP) may be a worthwhile investment.

Advice to Management

Study the business model of JM Waller and Associates. Show more trust toward the in-house staff in their making decisions in their respective areas.

"Eh!"

Former Employee - Anonymous
    Former Employee - Anonymous

Pros

The Money is pretty good

Cons

Dealing with management is a pain

Advice to Management

Get a life