Macdonald Hotels Reviews | Glassdoor

Full-time Part-time

2.8
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Donald J. Macdonald

1. "Remember the Guests!"

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time

Pros

Passionate Chairman, Established Brand, Structure (potential), Stable Finances,

Cons

Mismanaged Structure (could be more efficient, streamlined & guest focused). Stagnant Senior Management (fresh eyes needed), too much emphasis on finance (if the guests were looked after, recruitment across the board was correct then the figures would look after themselves),

Advice to Management

Be more organised (which will save money), ensure the passion of the Chairman lives in the business.

2. "Love it"

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Amazing support from my team and management, encouraged to climb the ladder. Great staff incentives, pension scheme.

Cons

Need more staff in some depart,entablature so that the guest doesn't suffer

Advice to Management

Listen to your staff, sometimes they have the answer

3. "long serving employee"

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Job Security, stairway to sucess, Good internal training, Employee Benefits, Discounted rates for staff, feel part of a family teams.

Cons

poor IT systems, hotel rooms in desperate need of re furbishment, General manager turnover,
    Senior management pay not in line with the minimum wage

Advice to Management

More training before implementing systems

5. "Fantastic people that really care"

Current Employee - Learning and Devwlopmwnt
    Current Employee - Learning and Devwlopmwnt

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Everyone really cares about each other and understands work life balance. Beautiful buildings and hard working people putting the guest first

Cons

I'm not sure that these are cons however hard work is a must work hard and achieve great thinks

Uniform needs an update

6. "..."

Current Employee - Customer Assistant I in Inverness, Scotland (UK)
    Current Employee - Customer Assistant I in Inverness, Scotland (UK)

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time

Pros

Great team, staff benefits are pretty good e.g. staff discount at the company hotels.

Cons

No pension scheme for lower level staff.

7. "Investment in People"

Pros

Out of the 16 years of working in the industry, I feel Macdonald Hotels is the best company I have worked for. The company invest in their staff with a great benefit programme, great incentive schemes and a full calendar of training events. There are very few hotel companies that force you to take your two days off and promote a balanced life between work and home. I have been with the company for just 9 months now and within the first 3 months was offered a General Manager Position and now I am running a gorgeous 4 star city centre hotel and also promoting - "happy staff equals happy guests, which equals a profitable company".

Cons

Communication is always something that companies can improve on however we have a new staff portal which is working really well!

8. "Welcome to the Family"

Current Employee - People and Quality Development Manager in Manchester, England (UK)

Pros

This Company really does welcome you into the family business there no no hierarchy and Mr Macdonald wants to meet all of his valued employees. People listen to each other, work as a Team and want to help each other to make each hotel and resort a success. People are rewarded and recognised all the time for their hard work and commitment. I am really enjoying working for this company.

Cons

The company are working hard to improve i.T systems to make us more efficient in recruiting and table management.

Advice to Management

keep up the good work with employee of the month and Monthly Pride awards., investment in training and development and qualifications for the Teams members.

9. "Career Development"

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Delighted to be accepted to take part in Macdonald Hotels new General Manager Designate Programme starting end of April. I have been with Macdonald Hotels for over 8 years now, starting off as Night Porter, moving onto days I progressed through the Concierge Team gaining my Golden Keys as Head Concierge. I then progressed to Operations Manager and most recently People, Quality & Development Manager for the Northern Region. I Would defiantly recommend a career with Macdonald Hotels as the development opportunities are endless.
    My ultimate goal of developing into a fully competent General Manager with Macdonald Hotels Continues!

Cons

The Hospitality Industry can be very demanding at times, however it can also be very rewarding with the correct attitude and commitment.

Advice to Management

Continue with the Training & Development, particularly the new Hotelier Programme aimed at developing multi skilled employees. This will be the key to developing our stars of the future!

"Don't believe the 5* reviews! Corrupt from the top down!"

I have been working at Macdonald Hotels part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The most positive thing I can say about working for Macdonald Hotels is that your colleagues at the lower levels will look after each other but don't expect that from anyone higher up!

Cons

It's in convenient that all the 5* rating are all around the same time?? Don't believe them. They are just trying to get their appalling rating up.

The senior management from "Managing Directors" couldn't manage their way out of a wet paper bag right and the senior managers in Head Office couldn't be more untrustworthy.

Don't expect your pay to EVER be correct.

Advice to Management

SELL, SELL, SELL! You may have had a good brand back in the day but now it is the bean counters in Head Office calling the shots and you've forgotten that you are in hospitality!

"Bad management"

I worked at Macdonald Hotels part-time

Pros

Work with a lot of good colleagues and make friendships

Cons

Long hours, minimum wage, don't take into account other things we have in life e.g. University coursework

Advice to Management

Treat staff with a bit more respect