Macerich Reviews | Glassdoor

3.3
Rating Trends Rating Trends
Macerich President, CEO, and Director Art Coppola
Art Coppola

Pros
  • Great company that respects employees and cares about work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, 401k, good perks (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management changes their priorities constantly (in 6 reviews)

• Less than positive work environment due to excessive rudeness from co-workers (in 5 reviews)

"One of those diamond in the ruff great companies"

Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Former Employee - Executive Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great company that respects employees and cares about work/life balance. Wonderful family-like culture with very caring management. However, every department has a different culture. My experience in my department was very positive and I truly enjoyed working for my boss and other VP's.

Cons

Next to no interdepartmental communication. If I worked in a department where I had to rely on communication between leasing or accounting, etc I can see how I would extremely frustrated. Heard many rumors that the accounting department was strict and inflexible and lended itself to a very anxiety prone environment. Also, H.R. did not seem to have their ducks in a row. Had a wonky experience when I needed advice from them.

Advice to Management

Communicate more! Enough with the "good ol' boys" mentality. Would love to see some more women in management and VP roles because you do have a great company!

2. "No growth opportunities"

I worked at Macerich full-time

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, good perks

Cons

Too many to include all. There is no room for growth. The only people that are promoted are 95% men and only if they are friends with the CEO's or executives. There are many work environment issues such as bullying and harassment. I experienced harassment at this company after 1 year working for Macerich. Nothing happens to the people that causes problems. Even if you complain. I complained of harassment to my boss and he assured me that it was reported to corporate. I was never contacted about this issue so I'm sure it was never reported.

Advice to Management

Give employees opportunities to grow, listen to all complaints, especially harassment complaints.

3. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Fantastic work environment. Great people. Very flexible with schedules to accommodate commutes, family needs, etc.

Cons

Just like any company, a poor direct supervisor can outweigh the overall company culture. There is definitely some of that at Macerich.

5. "Great atmosphere"

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is friendly and generous.

Cons

There are no cons at this company so far.

"Leasing Development Manager"

Current Employee - Leasing Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Leasing Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Professional teams and managers, good benefits, 401K match, stock purchase and insurance.

Cons

Relatives and friends of executives get top positions, it appears there is no room to move up.

Advice to Management

Develop in house talent so they don't leave.

"Corporate Employee"

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

- Good benefits including health insurance options, 401(k), stock vesting option and health related seminars.
    - Flexible work hours.
    - Good company to gain experience as an entry level employee in property management field.

Cons

- No connection between properties and the corporate office. Shopping Center visits by corporate employees completely stopped after the founder passed away.
    - No room to grow, no promotions within the company. It is sad to watch so many hard-working, talented people leaving the company for new opportunity to advance their career and for salary increases. Despite to many years of great performance reviews, promotions and salary increase does not take place unless you are friends or family of the management.

"The grass is not greener..."

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Decent benefits plan when compared to the industry. In most cases interdepartmental relationships with other employees are pleasant and they actually willing to help if you ask.

Cons

Segmented work environment where the left hand is not even aware of the right hands existence. Very limited communication with people outside of your work silo, often with people in the same office reporting to a different command structure. Too many layers of VP's and AVP's who seem to have no experience at a property level.

Advice to Management

The company has changed from one where employee engagement, retention, training and development were key operational priorities to one where they are merely buzz words. Things like on-line collaboration tools or "Wow" programs have no affect on the field.

"No one wants to make up their mind"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Long Beach, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Benefits and time off. Some of the Macerich employees are very nice and good working relationships are great. I can't think of anything else. They are very mediocre..

Cons

Upper Management changes their priorities constantly. Upper Management needs to understand the property management teams is in the know and should listen.. You don't have a personal life and no one notices..

Advice to Management

Listen to the property management teams. To many people harass and HR does not take anything seriously. HR should be investigated.

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA
    Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

We have a great boss on site and it's an easy going work environment on the property level. Friendly co-workers on site.

Cons

Employees are not appreciated by corporate. Corporate is only concerned with the big picture, not those who get them there.

Advice to Management

Notice employee's worth.

11. "Great company to work for."

Pros

If you want to be in this industry, Macerich does it better than anyone else.

Cons

You need to love what you do or else you may get overwhelmed easily.