Macerich Reviews | Glassdoor

Macerich Reviews

Updated February 8, 2017

Full-time Part-time

Pros
  • Great company that respects employees and cares about work/life balance (in 7 reviews)

• Good benefits, 401k, good perks (in 6 reviews)

Cons
  • Upper Management changes their priorities constantly (in 6 reviews)

• Less than positive work environment due to excessive rudeness from co-workers (in 5 reviews)

"Manager"

I have been working at Macerich full-time

Pros

Great work environment and easy to get along with senior management. Very friendly group of people and all of the resources to get daily tasks completed are available and adequate.

Cons

There is no path for professional development. If this is not your dream position you will not be working towards such a role here.

Advice to Management

A leadership forum would go a long way. Far to often company goals and directives overshadow the day to day work because leleadership struggles to execute and results in time and resources consuming busy work rather than driving day to day tasks towards the stated goals.

2. "Great company"

Former Employee - Senior Business Systems Analyst/IT Project Manager in Santa Monica, CA

I worked at Macerich (More than 10 years)

Pros

My 11 years at Macerich were filled with professional opportunities, advancement, and strong relationships.

Cons

I have nothing negative to say about my experiences at Macerich.

"Leasing Manager"

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

While constantly changing depending on the new management over the years, there were years where this company was known as a family and small company feel. They spent time teaching their younger hires and most people knew each other. The pay was less than other competitors, but it was an overall good environment.

Cons

The environment changed, but the salary was not commensurate with the change.

"Not the best but not the worst."

Former Employee - Leasing Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Development Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Mostly friendly people - some are really great to work with.

Cons

No chance to grow your career.

"marketing manager"

Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Marketing Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Macerich full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Good company for the most part. Paid weekly. Good benefits. Match 401K.

Cons

Management shifts gears swiftly. Whats a priority one quarter may not be the next.

Advice to Management

Listen to the local managers. They have their boots to the ground.

7. "An experienced opinion"

I worked at Macerich (More than 8 years)

Pros

Well established, publicly held company with good assets. Lots of opportunities if you know the right people. Great resume and networking builder.

Cons

Publicly held and like any companies of this size bureaucracies tend to get in the way of everyday activity. Just a cog in a massive machine.

Advice to Management

Loyalty and valuing your long-standing employees should be much more of a priority. Turn over of key tenured employees is quite costly.

"Good corporate vision, but management needs more oversight."

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA
    Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in Walnut Creek, CA

I worked at Macerich full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

They pay was a bit above average for the position. IT is available for any help you need. Some staff that have been there a long time balance out the whole office. The leasing staff was friendly despite having a lot going on. I liked working with guest services, they are huge asset, and keep a great relationship with the stores that management is ignoring. The maintenance staff was also great, they did their jobs and their management had a great work ethic and understanding of the property.

Cons

Working at Broadway Plaza was a negative professional experience. The environment is negative, management projects an image of perfection and kindness to the staff and the store managers, but their own agenda and expectations are the first priority. When people considered “important” would visit our site, the expectations of perfection by property management were unrealistic. If someone in the office made a mistake during one of those visits, they would be shunned.

The other staff tiptoed around the upper property management in the office. I've worked at places with the CEO in the office, and they did not expect the treatment the property management of this location did. The middle managers in the office go back and forth from being great to treating the admin staff, guest services, security, housekeeping and valet management very poorly. I witnessed other employees cry, and another employee call in sick from the parking lot because she was afraid to come in.

There were relations problems with the store managers that were not the big few in the mall. The management staff would spend a week planning a lunch with 2 people and ignore problems from the majority of store managers.

Employees paid hourly were asked to work overtime without compensation on multiple occasions. When I and other co-workers asked to take time off to make up for unpaid overtime it was rarely given, and never offered. In addition, while working there I and other co-workers found it very difficult when we became ill. I understand the strain on co-workers and management when an employee goes through something like that, but I and other co-workers were met with zero understanding when it came to illness. I was threatened to be let go, despite not even coming close to using all allotted sick time.

No, I would not recommend working here. The lack of opportunities for training and no outreach from HR about open positions makes the negative environment not worth it.

Advice to Management

Regional managers should do some real research into how the store managers feel about Broadway Plaza management. Property management should have more accountability for how the staff is treated.

HR should make themselves more available to the staff at different properties. I wanted so many times to approach HR about staff treatment, especially the free overtime and not being able to use sick leave, but I was afraid to. I had never spoken directly to HR, even during hiring. I didn't know who to speak to. I was afraid of retaliation so did not say anything, and I regret that.

"Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Macerich full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Decent benefits, schedule flexibility (depending on department).

Cons

Company does not recognize contributions or reward good work - there is no reward for a job well done. Company has many times hired and promoted the wrong people - often hiring from outside instead of within. Current employees aren't even told about open opportunities.

10. "I wish I could work for them again."

Former Employee - Command Center Officer in Jersey City, NJ
    Former Employee - Command Center Officer in Jersey City, NJ

I worked at Macerich (More than 8 years)

Pros

I loved working in their company. I wish I could have stayed with them longer. The staff I worked for were so understanding.

Cons

Nothing I can think of...

Advice to Management

None

"Anonymous"

I worked at Macerich full-time

Pros

Experience working in a corporate environment. Based on property, you hit the ground running and quickly learn tasks of your position. Benefits are good.

Cons

It is difficult to assume a higher role and get promoted. Changes occur by the minute and you need to be prepared to adapt quickly.

Advice to Management

They won't listen to your advice so it's ultimately pointless.