Macerich "work environment" Reviews | Glassdoor

Macerich Employee Reviews about "work environment"

Updated Aug 3, 2019

Found 106 reviews

3.3
Macerich CEO Art Coppola
Art Coppola
Pros
Cons
  • "Lots of nepostism so upper management is fairly uneducated and unqualified for positions(in 11 reviews)

• "There are many work environment issues such as bullying and harassment(in 5 reviews)

Reviews about "work environment"

Return to all Reviews

"Overall good company to work for"

Former Employee - Systems Administrator in Phoenix, AZ

I worked at Macerich full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

First 6 years were engaging with much new technology to work on Non stressful work environment Family Atmosphere Managers were fair and great to work with

Cons

Last 2 years felt like prep for the eventual mass layoff Work got stale (last 2 years)

Advice to Management

N/A

Macerich2019-05-20
  2. "Great Work Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

Fantastic work environment. Great people. Very flexible with schedules to accommodate commutes, family needs, etc.

Cons

Just like any company, a poor direct supervisor can outweigh the overall company culture. There is definitely some of that at Macerich.

Macerich2017-02-03

"No growth opportunities"

I worked at Macerich full-time

Pros

Good benefits, 401k, good perks

Cons

Too many to include all. There is no room for growth. The only people that are promoted are 95% men and only if they are friends with the CEO's or executives. There are many work environment issues such as bullying and harassment. I experienced harassment at this company after 1 year working for Macerich. Nothing happens to the people that causes problems. Even if you complain....

Advice to Management

Give employees opportunities to grow, listen to all complaints, especially harassment complaints.

Macerich2017-02-06
  4. "Great atmosphere"

I have been working at Macerich

Pros

Great work environment. Everyone is friendly and generous.

Cons

There are no cons at this company so far.

Macerich2016-11-26

"The grass is not greener..."

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 8 years

Pros

Decent benefits plan when compared to the industry. In most cases interdepartmental relationships with other employees are pleasant and they actually willing to help if you ask.

Cons

Segmented work environment where the left hand is not even aware of the right hands existence. Very limited communication with people outside of your work silo, often with people in the same office reporting to a different command structure. Too many layers of VP's and AVP's who seem to have no experience at a property level.

Advice to Management

The company has changed from one where employee engagement, retention, training and development were key operational priorities to one where they are merely buzz words. Things like on-line collaboration tools or "Wow" programs have no affect on the field.

Macerich2016-10-18

"Administrative Assistant"

Current Employee - Administrative Assistant in Santa Monica, CA

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than a year

Pros

We have a great boss on site and it's an easy going work environment on the property level. Friendly co-workers on site.

Cons

Employees are not appreciated by corporate. Corporate is only concerned with the big picture, not those who get them there.

Advice to Management

Notice employee's worth.

Macerich2016-08-25

"Manager"

I have been working at Macerich full-time

Pros

Great work environment and easy to get along with senior management. Very friendly group of people and all of the resources to get daily tasks completed are available and adequate.

Cons

There is no path for professional development. If this is not your dream position you will not be working towards such a role here.

Advice to Management

A leadership forum would go a long way. Far to often company goals and directives overshadow the day to day work because leleadership struggles to execute and results in time and resources consuming busy work rather than driving day to day tasks towards the stated goals.

Macerich2016-07-26

"Administrative Assistant"

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Good pay, laid back work flow, a lot of catered luncheons, nice location, subsidized gym membership program

Cons

Upper employees only care about themselves, no opportunities for training or development making this a dead-end job. Less than positive work environment due to excessive rudeness from co-workers. It seems that HR fails to take action with nasty employees who obstruct work production, these people should be replaced.

Advice to Management

Start training the lower employees who express ambition so the company doesn't have to pay top dollar for outside talent

Macerich2016-01-06

"Amazing group of people who take pride in their work."

I have been working at Macerich full-time for more than 10 years

Pros

I love the mall office environment. I've worked at several different locations and loved my coworkers at each one. Lots of autonomy to do what the team believes is best. Very exciting work environment, never live the same day twice. In the past, the company was willing to make significant investments in employee growth.

Cons

Too much time spent talking about what we're going to do and not enough time spent actually executing plans. A lot of meetings, conference calls and reporting that don't generate results. Too many cooks in the kitchen with conflicting opinions leaving field level employees with lack of clear direction. Constant demand to do more with less compromises our standards. Focus has moved entirely to driving income and reducing...

Advice to Management

Happy employees are more productive, it's time to take a look at how employees really feel about the current work environment and make changes accordingly. Tenured employees are committed to our company and, sadly, will give until we can give no more. Look at the number of employees who are maxed out on vacation... You know how a dog will be so loyal to its master, it will literally die trying?

Macerich2015-04-26

"Worse Place I Have Ever Worked"

Former Employee - Administrative Assistant in San Francisco, CA

I worked at Macerich

Pros

Good health benefits Reputable company Work/life balance

Cons

Work environment Management Compensation on low end

Advice to Management

Really take a look at your Managers.. just because they have been there for over 10,15, 20 years... doesn't mean they are the best people for the job. I had the WORST experience in one of the Property Management offices. The PM constantly bashed other managers AND employees.. to ME, a new employee (admin assistant).. I can only imagine what they say to their friends/confidants. The Leasing department wasn't any better...

Macerich2015-03-19