Mack Companies Reviews | Glassdoor

Updated August 13, 2017

Full-timePart-time

James "MACK" McClelland

Sort: PopularRatingDate

1. "Great Family Environment"

I have been working at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

This company really does care about the people that work here and though it may not show in benefits, it shows in compensation or flexibility. The owners are great people and if I ever asked them for something, they would give me their shirt off their back, I have no doubt about that.

Cons

All companies have issues, but very minor here.

Advice to Management

Keep doing what you are doing!

2. "Avoid at all costs."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL

I worked at Mack Companies full-time (More than a year)

Pros

None that I can think of.

Cons

Run by cons for cons.

Advice to Management

None- they already filed for Chapter 7.

3. "Bankrupt Company"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

All pros are outweighed by ownerships negatives

Cons

They filed bankruptcy March 2017. Don't trust them.The company is collapsing.Bad businessmen! Stay away. Beware of promises that can't be kept.

4. "Good Ole Boys Club"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

Some employees are great people

Cons

Most of the operations employees are friends of the owner and part of his football team - Lincoln Way Patriots. Upper management is horrible and company is now in Chapter 11. They close offices early on some Fridays so everyone is gone when contractors show up for their payments/checks.

Advice to Management

Start living and practicing an ethical lifestyle inside and outside of the business

5. "Anonymous"

I have been working at Mack Companies full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Good pay, laid back environment, co-workers are great in my department, excellent opportunity to learn.

Cons

our department is organized. The other departments lack organization and not everyone is a team player. No job security, not much room for advancement unless you're a friend of the owner. Not much training; you have to figure it out. Very little communication between departments, no accountability. No benefits.

Advice to Management

Sweat the small stuff; get organized, value your employees, stop hiring friends and family.

6. "Operations"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

From my experience working at Mack for 4+ years, I have only good things to say about the "Mack Family". They always made me feel like I was a part of their family and constantly thanked me for my hard work and dedication. I will always be grateful for the opportunity they gave me and for trusting me to be able to do my work without micromanaging or questioning me. I met a lot of great people there as well and it was truly a family environment. Due to circumstances that were out of my control, I unfortunately had to leave the company, but I still miss it every day. It was a great place to work.

Cons

No Cons to report except that there were no benefits offered to employees.

7. "Stay Away"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

The people; the non family and friends, those actually needing the job and wanting to work.

Cons

Too many too list, all I can say is if your not family and friends (which is about 75%) and you get on any of the Mack's bad side your out. The vulgar language and insults, the shady way they do business, you do not want this company on your resume.

Advice to Management

Retire and hide

"STAY FAR AWAY FROM THIS BOYS CLUB"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

I have no idea how anyone can say anything positive about this company. I assume that they are fake reviews written by management because they have nothing but time since they are certainly not doing their jobs.

Cons

I don't even know where to begin. First- most of the people in management type positions are personal friends of the family. They are in no way qualified for the positions they have. This lack of experience was not only frustrating to deal with on a daily basis but also speaks to why the company is failing now and having to file bankruptcy. Rumors abound about the shady practices done by the owners and management. Only solidified by the authorities raiding the office last summer. Employees are wrongly paid as 1099 independent contractors. There's no benefits. Not even direct deposit. Toxic toxic environment. Also- management wasn't open to change or improvement at all if the suggestion came from a woman. Stay far away from any company these shady people start in the future. There was also 0 consistency. People/positions were replaced MULTIPLE times in short spans of time. Which tells me they had no idea how to hire. HR was useless with any issues or concerns and didn't keep anything private.

Advice to Management

How about hiring people who are actually qualified for the job instead of giving jobs to your football friends and the like. I'm afraid this advice comes a little late since you're laying people off weekly and you won't change your ways anyways.

9. "Highway to Hell"

I worked at Mack Companies full-time

Pros

Seems like it would be a nice place to work; pretty offices, friendly faces, these things are deceiving.

Cons

The bosses are floundering fools. Constant infighting, backstabbing, and decisions made based on who spins a better story.

10. "Anonymous"

Pros

The only pro was some of the people that worked there were really great!

Cons

The company has no benefits, no direct deposit, they employ a lot of friends with no experience and lack management skills. This company is falling apart. I would stay far away from it in any capacity.